• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Promotional Comic Books Here!!!!
7 7

869 posts in this topic

This is from the description of Alaska Bush Pilot CGC 9.9 that was sold by Heritage Comics.

"Alaska Bush Pilot #1 (Jan Enterprises, 1959) CGC MT 9.9 Off-white to white pages. Here's a promotional comic for the collector who thought he had everything! We'd be remiss if we didn't recount this comic's backstory: the entire print run of 100 copies was found at a defunct printer's shop in Portland, Oregon, and 72 of them were water-damaged or otherwise unsalvageable. So here's one of the 28 surviving copies, and you certainly won't find one in a nicer grade! Not listed in Overstreet. CGC census 8/05: 1 in 9.9, none higher. "

Alaska Bush Pilot CGC 9.9

Great information. I didn't even think to check Heritage to see if they were the auction house. What a great resource. Thanks for the details and for posting your beauty.

This is from the description of Alaska Bush Pilot CGC 9.9 that was sold by Heritage Comics.

"Alaska Bush Pilot #1 (Jan Enterprises, 1959) CGC MT 9.9 Off-white to white pages. Here's a promotional comic for the collector who thought he had everything! We'd be remiss if we didn't recount this comic's backstory: the entire print run of 100 copies was found at a defunct printer's shop in Portland, Oregon, and 72 of them were water-damaged or otherwise unsalvageable. So here's one of the 28 surviving copies, and you certainly won't find one in a nicer grade! Not listed in Overstreet. CGC census 8/05: 1 in 9.9, none higher. "

I am not sure if this description is really true. I own 2 or 3 copies and there is one dealer on ebay who continually sells them, both in LG and HG.

In any event, it is a cool book. I read through it the other day. The guy who is the star actually only died a few years ago at 101 years of age.

I am not sure if this description is really true. I own 2 or 3 copies and there is one dealer on ebay who continually sells them, both in LG and HG.

In any event, it is a cool book. I read through it the other day. The guy who is the star actually only died a few years ago at 101 years of age.

I have heard this story years ago. Based on the background of the story it is true that only the small print run was discovered in Portland. I have no doubt that this is accurate. Now it might be possible that another print run of these turned up someplace else. I have a high-grade example of this book in my collection and when I purchased my copy it came with a high-grade example of the club card. This is the only example I have ever seen of the club card.

Crosspost!

This Gerber "7" promotional book, measuring 8 1/2" x 10 1/2" and part of the Well Known Comics series, was distributed by Bestmaid/Samuel Lowe Co. I'd never seen this before.

Spysmasherpromo.jpg

I never saw/heard/read about this book before. Fabulous!

Crosspost!

This Gerber "7" promotional book, measuring 8 1/2" x 10 1/2" and part of the Well Known Comics series, was distributed by Bestmaid/Samuel Lowe Co. I'd never seen this before.

Spysmasherpromo.jpg

Really cool find. Also never seen one before.

Earl.

Probably my grail for giveaways. I am assuming there must have been some kind of discovery of several copies. I picked up this beauty on Heritage recently - I assume it was the one Dale Roberts owned. Before it was offered on Heritage I picked up a very nice high grade raw copy of the same book and there seem to be several Gene Autry books from the Quaker giveaway set available.

The back of the book has an add for Quaker Puffed Wheat which is "Shot from Guns"

Gene-Autry-Death-Card-CGC-3.jpg

Gene-Autry-Death-Card-Gang.jpg

Ok, this isn't a GA book but the fact is it won't be appreciated in the same way in the Silver section as it would be here, and it is more akin to a GA book anyway.

My first 9.8 submission ever!

Alaska-Bush-Pilot.jpg

You should post this in the Modern comic forum to see what kind of response you get.

Not a promotional comic book, but an interesting bit of history that came with a batch of GE Adventure Series/ Adventures in Science that I bought a while back.

GEpromoenvelope.jpg

I hope it's legible.

Has anyone ever seen

Math at General Electric

General Electric's Answer to Three Whys?

I have a bad feeling that I won't get copies if I write to that address.

Jack

PS

Easier to read

GEpromoenvelopeBW.jpg

Edited by selegue

Ok, this isn't a GA book but the fact is it won't be appreciated in the same way in the Silver section as it would be here, and it is more akin to a GA book anyway.

Alaska-Bush-Pilot.jpg

Beautiful book - and congrats on the great call on the submission. There may not be many, but the ones that exist do seem to be in pretty good shape. My 9.4 is starting to look a bit ratty. Heck, its only the third best (and a distant third) copy in the last 20 posts or so.

Did you pick yours up on eBay or somewhere where you could see just how nice a copy it was when you purchased it?

Alaska-Bush-Pilot.jpg

Beautiful book - and congrats on the great call on the submission. There may not be many, but the ones that exist do seem to be in pretty good shape. My 9.4 is starting to look a bit ratty. Heck, its only the third best (and a distant third) copy in the last 20 posts or so.

Did you pick yours up on eBay or somewhere where you could see just how nice a copy it was when you purchased it?

Just a lucky ebay purchase. :grin: