• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,330 posts in this topic

I tried to pull my 40 favorites out of the groups above (the slabbed comics excluded), and this is what I came up with. (If I did it again I'd undoubtedly come up with a different 40.)

collect-group-6.jpg

great top 40

You are looking at the results of obsessive-compulsive disorder.

With results like that I'm going to have to get me some of that OCD.

I tried to pull my 40 favorites out of the groups above (the slabbed comics excluded), and this is what I came up with. (If I did it again I'd undoubtedly come up with a different 40.)

collect-group-6.jpg

Awesome set of books!

I really appreciate the responses from Scrooge, Gator, and the rest of you. Means a lot coming from this gang. Okay so here is one more image before I put everything away for a while.

This is my fledgling paperback collection. I know it's not section-appropriate, but there isn't a paperback area in the CGC forum (as CGC doesn't grade paperbacks), and most of these represent the same time period as Golden Age comics.

collect-group-7.jpg

Not sure if I'll continue going after collectible paperbacks because it's a little trickier than collecting comics -- and just as hard to narrow your focus. There seems to be less competition than for comics, but when competition does show up it can be fierce. Obviously I haven't figured out how best to store these yet.

My favorites are the paperbacks with lurid GGA covers from 1945-1965 or so. Lots of great artwork by people like Reginald Heade, J. Pollack, H.W. Perl, Robert Maguire, George Gross, Bill Edwards, Walter Popp and others. The pre-'60s books are less overt and more coded in their vice-related imagery, which makes them more appealing.

A few notes: The Help! paperbacks are somewhat rare, and the 2nd one is the rare variant that still contains John F. Kennedy fumetti gags. The book was being printed when he was assassinated, so only the first run had the JFK images inside.

The "Hateful Thoughts for Happy Occasions" book has artwork by Bill Elder. The Monkees book cover is by Jack Davis.

The "Fox Two" paperback is an autobiography by Randy Cunningham, a California representative who was convicted of one of the sleaziest bribery schemes in recent political memory.

My favorite of all the paperback covers are the Avon sci-fi GGA ones, which also have the best cross-over appeal for Golden Age comic collectors. "The Green Girl" is one of my favorites, but there are about 8 other sci-fi Avon paperback titles I'd like to acquire, including "An Earth Man on Venus," which has a better GGA cover than the comic.

Beautiful group shots!!!

My favorite of all the paperback covers are the Avon sci-fi GGA ones, which also have the best cross-over appeal for Golden Age comic collectors. "The Green Girl" is one of my favorites, but there are about 8 other sci-fi Avon paperback titles I

I managed to pick up a few Avons ihn surprisingly nice condition from a book shop that was abandoning it's storefront and was trying to clear out inventory. Here are a couple of my favorites.

AvonPaperbackEarthman.jpg

AvonPaperbacksMetal.jpg

Beautiful group shots!!!

My favorite of all the paperback covers are the Avon sci-fi GGA ones, which also have the best cross-over appeal for Golden Age comic collectors. "The Green Girl" is one of my favorites, but there are about 8 other sci-fi Avon paperback titles I

I managed to pick up a few Avons ihn surprisingly nice condition from a book shop that was abandoning it's storefront and was trying to clear out inventory. Here are a couple of my favorites.

AvonPaperbacksMetal.jpg

Wow! Great condition!

AvonPaperbacksMetal.jpg

Wow! Great condition!

Yeah, coming from adamstrange I was expecting something low grade :o

Yeah, coming from adamstrange I was expecting something low grade \:o

It could happen. :baiting:

Here are the others.

AvonPaperbacksFantasy.jpg

AvonPaperbackShipIshtar.jpg

AvonPaperbackCreepShadow.jpg

scrooge,

check with bunky brian..i sold him a buttload of fourcolors at san diego this year.

ask for jerry. he will know!

my favorite issue is a santa claus issue numbered 666!!!!

santa claus :cloud9:

666 :cloud9:

WANT! Bigtime... And I've never seen the "Metal" one. Love it.

The Post Fantasy Stories book has such a beautiful image (still not as great as "The Green Girl," but what is?). I'm just waiting to find a decent copy with all the gloss on the cover. Terrific score there. I hate to hear about book stores shutting their doors, but I sure would like to be there when it happens, if it means getting books like those.

So, as mentioned in the Have a Cigar thread, this is how you avoid scanning over a 1000 books. These are my Four Colors to date. That's 20 stacks of about 50 right there. I look at this and can only wonder how much the supplies alone set me back lol

106609.jpg

wow, a 4-color mattress!

after you took this pic did you dive in like a porpoise and burrow through the books? :insane:

and you should post a needed-list on these :baiting: