• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,330 posts in this topic

slide1a.jpg

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Wow those Shadows are beautiful !! They are so colorful it just amazing !! I have a friend who has been buying Shadow pulps for the last 5 years. I recognize a couple you have as books that are in his collection also.

And since I was going through some books - I hadn't posted a shot of my Heroics run since I acquired #13 (for me the last and hardest one to find - now I have two copies of that issue :tonofbricks:)

145d0b92.jpg

yay!! 10 was the thorn in my side, and tho' i don't have 2 of 'em, within a month or so of finally finding one another hit ebay.

Slide4.jpg

Dwight

AMAZING Shadow pulps Dwight....!! Thanks for sharing

Agreed, a very impressive sight. I was never a big pulp guy but mainly because it seemed the ones I could find were already falling apart. Where do you find white page copies, I bet if I found some of those I would be sorely tempted to pick them up. More importantly, how do you keep them from turning brown?

"If anyone happens to run across a nice Shadow #1 (pulp), I will pay a record price for it, as that is only one of five that I need to complete a high grade run (out of 325)"

WOW Dwight....that's awesome.

Few questions that you may have answered elsewhere.

What was your initial reason for collecting the Shadow Pulps ?

When did you start your collection (how long ago) and with what issue(s) ?

What was your proudest moment during the acquisition of your run ? Any spectacular deals or finds during the process ?

At what point did you commit to putting the whole run together in high grade ?

Have you ever seen a copy of # 1 ? I imagine you may have ran into a ratty or coverless copy but not one that would fit your higher grade mentality ?

Anyway....would love to hear your answers from and obsessed collectors point of view.....

Regarding a copy of Shadow Volume 1 number 1

Here is the description from the lone copy that sold on Heritage in May of this year.

This copy was a RESTORED Fair to Good and sold for $ 2629.00

Shadow V1#1 (Street & Smith, 1931) Condition: Apparent FR/GD.

Harder to find than Action Comics #1 or Detective Comics #27, this pulp is as influential as either of those two famous comic books. This is the first copy we have ever offered of the first issue, and this is an item that even some of the elite collections lack!

This issue, the very first "hero pulp," hit newsstands some seven years before Action #1 started the Golden Age of comics. A radio narrator called "The Shadow" had proven a hit, and Street and Smith assigned Walter Gibson (writing as Maxwell Grant) to take the name and flesh out a full-fledged character. Gibson's speed as a writer was a consideration, as the publisher was worried that someone else might use the name for a magazine. This is also the reason why the Shadow doesn't appear on the cover -- there wasn't time to do a new illustration, and an image already in stock was used (reportedly the only one available that had a shadow on it).

This first issue quickly sold out, and of course this character in turn became the basis of a smash-hit radio program (and starred in other media as well).

While the page edges are quite brittle, luckily this doesn't apply to the page interiors. Restoration includes: trimmed, covers re-glossed, covers glued to interior. We believe even the collector who would ordinarily pass over any pulp in this condition will make allowances given the extreme scarcity of this item! Bookery's Guide to Pulps GD value = $3,000.

Shadow-v1n1.jpg

Hi,

My reason that I started collecting Shadow pulps was two-fold.

a) The first was when I saw that 8.0 Detective 27 in a showcase up for auction by Mastronet in Chicago (2003..I think). Right beside it was the Shadow "Death Triangle" from 1933 in high grade. The estimate on the Detective was $200K and the Shadow $500.00. I thought the painted cover on the Shadow was killer. I won the Shadow and it started.

b) The second was that I was trying to assemble a high grade Flash pedegree run

which I had nearly completed (Moldoff covers only). I had 27 and all were pedegrees (Mile High, Frisco's etc.). However, it was getting to the point where I was having to pay $5000 - $10,000 per issue to add more Flashes into my collection. This was just getting too expensive, and the Shadows seemed like a deal.

2) I started collecting in 2002, and picked up the Death Triangle, and then picked up 3 more NM Shadows from 1935-36 from the Yakima collection (paper was as white as Frisco's).

3) In 2004, I saw a guy listing Shadows on ABE. I called him up and he said they were high grade with white paper (I was doubtful). They ranged from 1934-37. I asked him to send me out the 12 best covers. When I received them, they were newsstand fresh with white paper (incidentally, the guy was from Denver..HMMM).

I bought 70 Shadows and 20 Doc Savage pulps for $11,000 (a steal).

In 2006, I heard about a group of 12 Shadows from 1932 in high grade with OW/W paper that a collector picked up at a paper show a year before that. The dealer who knew this collector asked if he would sell or trade them, he said never. Then the dealer then said that he would trade them for the rarest Robert E. Howard book in existence..The Gent from Bear Creek. I was told there were only a handful of copies in existence...I lost all hope. Unbelievably two weeks later, another collector phoned me and said that someone had just listed a copy on ebay. I phoned the guy up, bought it, and made the trade for the Shadows (The 1932 silver cover in the Group Shot, among others was in there).

Three years ago, my friend sold me his Shadows (40 of them from 1935-37), from the STRASSER collection (A code in the S for Shadow). One of only two identifiable pedegrees (Strassers and Yakima's) in the pulps (not that there were not other high grade groups of pulps found....but these two are able to be identified with a code).

Strassers - A person named Von crayville bought a house in Ohio in 1979 and in the basement were thousands of unread pulps from 1934-39 stacked between wax paper). The guy sold them at diffent times over the next 15 years at the pulp cons.

Two years ago, a dealer found the strassers from 1937-39 (most of them), which he just accidentally came across. He then called me up and sold them to me.

Three years ago I was able to track down pick up Walter Gibson's (wrote most of the Shadow stories) personal "Shadow - Street and Smith Salesman Promotional Book (11x17) ... only one known to exist. There are 50 pages of original documents with promtional items, official written deals with Macy's, the Police Department, radio Stations, marketing information (radio, pulps, and film), original newsaper advertisements, original advertisements of rare Shadow toys, and 4 of the best and rarest Shadow promtional posters.

The cream of the crop however was the original Shadow oil painting of "The Creeping Death" that I bought from Heritage. I have since picked up the painting of The Shadow - "The Third Skull`` as well.

I have over 13 original advertising posters from the 30's and 40's and nearly 60 different rare Shadow collectibles from the 30's and 40's.

I originally only looked at cover scans of all the Shadows pulps and then picked out about 50 - 70 covers that I liked. However as I was so aggressive in hunting down high grade copies (had to pay through the nose to pull them out of private collections, or give up a nice mid grade copy + cash for an ultra high grade copies)People then started calling with pulps, and I decided that I might as well try and put together the full run. I have since gone all over the US and cherry picked dozens and dozens of collections, trying to continually upgrade my collection.

Shadow #1: I have seen a few copies, mainly low grade. there was one that just sold on ebay for about $3300.00 and was much better that the Heritage one, but still low grade.

I know where there is a nice copy with some restoration to it (fairly minor), another personal has a decent copy (although I have never seen it), and there is a nice VG/FN copy in another collection. However, Shadow #1 is very rare, but people have collected the Shadow for 50 yeras, so I am sure there are other nice copies out there, but it takes extreme patience to wait them out.

I store the pulps in three large fireproof safes (brand new ones), and keep the house basically climate controlled, especially the collectibles rooms where no sunlight is allowed in, the humidy is kept low and basically "climate controlled".

I store the pulps in mylite 2's, with acid free backing borads (stored flat not to put stress on the large overhangs).

Dwight

dwightfu@yahoo.com

www.theshadow.ca (2 page Shadow website)

Edited by detective35DF

scrooge,

check with bunky brian..i sold him a buttload of fourcolors at san diego this year.

ask for jerry. he will know!

my favorite issue is a santa claus issue numbered 666!!!!

santa claus :cloud9:

scrooge,

check with bunky brian..i sold him a buttload of fourcolors at san diego this year.

santa claus :cloud9:

Bah! Humbug!

:P

scrooge,

Shouldn't Four Color 666 have been Satan Claus? Dell refused to join the comics code. They could have done it...

Was going through my comics today, trying to assess the collection, determine what should be weeded out, etc. At a certain point a collection gets too large to make any sense out of it. The only thing I was able to conclude is that 8x5 is a much better array size for group photos than 10x7. I have a lot more comics than what's represented here, but I felt these were the most photo-worthy.

collect-group-1.jpg

collect-group-2.jpg

collect-group-3.jpg

collect-group-4.jpg

collect-group-5.jpg

You are looking at the results of obsessive-compulsive disorder.