• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,330 posts in this topic

Thanks :) but there's nothing much to it really. The Four Color run is a numbers' game. None of the books are really rare. It just take time, perseverance and organization. Bullet is doing it right by chasing higher grade books. If I had old G.A.tor money I wanted to spend on this, I'd be done tomorrow or next week. It's just daunting since at 77% complete, I still need 310 books :insane:

That is incredible. Absolutely great accomplishment. Good luck with the last 23%.

you can do it (thumbs u

Thanks :D but I'd have to remain focused. My most recent order from a dealer was for 30+ Atlas War books. That would have bought me a few Four Colors lol

focus my friend...focus!

you can do it (thumbs u

Thanks :D but I'd have to remain focused. My most recent order from a dealer was for 30+ Atlas War books. That would have bought me a few Four Colors lol

focus my friend...focus!
Focus is the key! (thumbs u

Very cool scrooge. I'm surprised how many westerns there were in the early 60's. Seeing them in sequence like that is like looking at a 25 year time span of pop culture. Keep after em scrooge ...... you'll get em. :applause:

Thanks :) but there's nothing much to it really. The Four Color run is a numbers' game. None of the books are really rare. It just take time, perseverance and organization. Bullet is doing it right by chasing higher grade books. If I had old G.A.tor money I wanted to spend on this, I'd be done tomorrow or next week. It's just daunting since at 77% complete, I still need 310 books :insane:

But that's what makes it more fun. Being able to slap down a big old wad of cash and complete something all at once may be satsifying for a moment or two, but scraping together cash to buy them a little at a time, you get to enjoy each purchase along the way.

I've put together some long runs of books, including Batman 1 - 500, but the long journey to completion made it a joyful pursuit

But that's what makes it more fun. Being able to slap down a big old wad of cash and complete something all at once may be satsifying for a moment or two, but scraping together cash to buy them a little at a time, you get to enjoy each purchase along the way.

I've put together some long runs of books, including Batman 1 - 500, but the long journey to completion made it a joyful pursuit

Yeah but that big wad of cash sure would be sweet to lay down just once :)

Scrooge, wow whatta run! I don't think I have ever seen them presented that way so that is kind of a fun sight to this Disney Four Color collector. You can certainly see the changing demographics of comic topics over the years. Good luck in finishing. What next, all the variations of Classics Illustrated?

Quite an accomplishment so far and a quest that should prove to have been fun and worthwhile when you're done.

For the encore, here are ALL of them. There is nagging hole in the 130's and in the later part of the run, some holes are not books I am still missing but those missing Four Color numbers.

Congratulations on collecting so much of the run so quickly. :applause:

Have you read many of the comics inspired by the TV shows of that generation? I purchased a large stack of Dell Four Color westerns at a flea market a few years ago and initially was hesitant to read them because I feared I'd be disappointed in rereading childhood favorites. As it turned out, I was pleasantly surprised at the high quality of the stories.

Oh, yes. The advantage of the TV show ones, esp. detective and assorted adventure ones, is that they are good at doing a done in one story and in many cases, you get 2 done-in-ones per issue so that The WhirlyBirds for example which wouldn't seem promising from the covers are quite entertaining. The disappointing ones from the TV shows are the comedy ones. If our sense of adventure and suspense hasn't changed much, our sense of humor certainly has!

The Western ones are consistent. That's one thing that Dell was able to achieve: consistency given that the run spans 20+ years and 1,300+ issues. All (most) artists were competent and, while not flashy, conversant in story-telling. Now, I know people would not get their socks off, the material is dated art-wise but it does deliver a solid dose of entertainment.

I purchased a large stack of Dell Four Color westerns at a flea market a few years ago

You selling? :baiting: I need more Westerns. I am willing to pay you rock bottom prices as anyone I've bought Four Colors from the boards can testify. :insane: It's not that *ahem* I am cheap but a run this size, I have to count the pennies ...

I purchased a large stack of Dell Four Color westerns at a flea market a few years ago

You selling? :baiting: I need more Westerns. I am willing to pay you rock bottom prices as anyone I've bought Four Colors from the boards can testify. :insane: It's not that *ahem* I am cheap but a run this size, I have to count the pennies ...

:o I could never sell any Dells. (tsk)

In recent years I've discovered I even enjoy titles like Wagon Train which I thought I would never like.

wagontrain.jpg

And if I wouldn't consider selling Wagon Train...I certainly wouldn't sell any Four Colors.

They're really :luhv: special. :cloud9:

Here are a hanful of the Shadow pulps from my collection. I had taken a few group shots from about a year back.

Shadows are around, however can be tough to get, if you have to have them in high grade with near white paper as I am a stickler of.

I am constantly upgrading, even by a quarter of a grade, but that is what keeps it challenging and fun (and frustrating).

slide1a.jpg

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

If anyone happens to run across a nice Shadow #1 (pulp), I will pay a record price for it, as that is only one of five that I need to complete a high grade run (out of 325).

Dwight