• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age group shot
21 21

9,349 posts in this topic

Just picked up a small group of books. The person I bought them from found them at her grandfather's house, and he wanted her to throw them away! I guess he's a bit of a packrat, and told her he has more comics in his house somewhere. Highlights are Action 56, Pep 34, Sensation 13. Also has a Whiz 34 and 38, Bulletman 10, Daredevil 15 (extra staples), and a Walt Disney Comics and Stories 24 (Vol 2 #12). Most of this will be a sales thread as soon as I get scans done. The granddaughter is going to be at his house for Easter, so lets hope she's got more goodies!

comics.JPG

Just picked up a small group of books. The person I bought them from found them at her grandfather's house, and he wanted her to throw them away! I guess he's a bit of a packrat, and told her he has more comics in his house somewhere. Highlights are Action 56, Pep 34, Sensation 13. Also has a Whiz 34 and 38, Bulletman 10, Daredevil 15 (extra staples), and a Walt Disney Comics and Stories 24 (Vol 2 #12). Most of this will be a sales thread as soon as I get scans done. The granddaughter is going to be at his house for Easter, so lets hope she's got more goodies!

comics.JPG

pep 34 :cloud9:

:takeit:

5647973212_1228983297_z.jpg

Very nice. :applause:

I especially like Comic Cavalcade #'s 22 and 23.

I suspect the influence of All-American Shelly Mayer on the 23 in the use of kids on that cover. It's a wonderfully innocent scene. (thumbs u

I was putting away some comics ronight and decided to do a couple of quick group shots.

Here's a neat little progression (CGC 4-9) of yellow covers. I've posted these before over the years, but never in a group shot.

Group-shot-1a.jpg

I was putting away some comics ronight and decided to do a couple of quick group shots.

Here's a neat little progression (CGC 4-9) of yellow covers. I've posted these before over the years, but never in a group shot.

Group-shot-1a.jpg

Sweeeet. :applause:

Group-shot-1a.jpg

Each and every one is a ^^

Group-shot-1a.jpg

Each and every one is a ^^

+6

Group-shot-1a.jpg

All great covers! HT #9 :cloud9:

Group-shot-1a.jpg

All great covers! HT #9 :cloud9:

BTW, I just realized that I bought all of these books raw (4 of them from the same person) and had them all slabbed. That was fun! I thought the Subby should get a higher grade than it did. I didn't have it pressed, and maybe it would have graded higher had I done that ( (shrug) ). I actually traded a bunch of comics for the HT. The guy I bought it from said that he had shown it to Steve Borock and he had said that it was the best he had ever seen. Turns out, he was probably right. The Plastic Man was also part of that deal. It's the second highest graded. I think the dealer was kind of sorry he let them go after I told him what they graded out at. I got the Zip from the same dealer. It was "low grade" and actually had tape on the top of the spine. I sent it to Matt Nelson and he removed it and pressed it. He told me that he didn't think doing either would help the grade, but it just looks a lot nicer without the tape. I thought the Action would get a higher grade, but it presents well for the grade. I knew the Mystic was low grade, but have always loved that book, so I went for it.

Just caus' everybody wanted to know. (thumbs u

— Rick

Here's a departure from the last fantastic group shots.

My budding Straight Arrow run which Ciorac helped expand. Yes, coverless are welcome in that run.

I like "unsung" artists like Fred Meagher. Meagher produced the entire run of Straight Arrow stories from issue # 1 to 55 (Powell did the Red Hawk stories), that's 3 stories per issue for a fairly long run and the quality never (or barely) diminished. Meagher maintained his attention to details.

Other runs like this are John Severin on American Eagle in Prize Western Comics, Fred Ray on Tomahawk, of course Barks on the Ducks, Jack Cole on Plas, Crandall / Cuidera on Blackhawk where the artists stayed with the character for a solid long run.

My call here is: who am I missing from that era?

Anyway, I think BB will appreciate this one as he is another Straight Arrow / Steve Adams fan :thumbsup: [Note: I have two copies of the March 1952 issues but couldn't find either to put in the shot doh! ]

111779.jpg.472844a91f26a167b6a038afa7b4a978.jpg