• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mystery box of approx 150 - 200 GA Comics arriving today

1,277 posts in this topic

Man, it must be a slow news day for some people to actually believe what this guy is shovelling.

Every single one of us would've gotten in a car/jumped on a plane 7 months and 29 days ago if we had a relative who discovered TWO HUNDRED golden age comics.

Although I'd've put things a little more diplomatically, this particular scenario does beg that question - why didn't you go to your uncle's place? At worst you'd've lost a day and a couple of hundred dollars (i.e. the sort of gamble dealers make on a regular basis when they go to see a collection) but even then you'd've saved months of speculation, worry and time spent thinking about when the books were going to turn up.

It's not as if it wasn't in your uncle's interests for you to do that, anyway...

No kidding. I once came across a coverless copy of Sabrina, The Teenage Witch #1 inside a desk drawer in our old apartment's storage room. Does that count? 27_laughing.gif

27_laughing.gif

Now if that had been a topless Sabrina the Teenage Witch...it would have counted as 5-10 in the big house.

Man, it must be a slow news day for some people to actually believe what this guy is shovelling.

Every single one of us would've gotten in a car/jumped on a plane 7 months and 29 days ago if we had a relative who discovered TWO HUNDRED golden age comics.

Although I'd've put things a little more diplomatically, this particular scenario does beg that question - why didn't you go to your uncle's place? At worst you'd've lost a day and a couple of hundred dollars (i.e. the sort of gamble dealers make on a regular basis when they go to see a collection) but even then you'd've saved months of speculation, worry and time spent thinking about when the books were going to turn up.

He did say he was out of a job for a while. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes i could have gone to florida to pick up the books even though i'm in Ohio...however that's a bit too long of a drive not to mention my primary vehicle is more of a city car. Not going to risk flying down for an unseen box of comics.

It's not as if it wasn't in your uncle's interests for you to do that, anyway...

Heck, I would have made the drive even if it was my ex-mother-in-law's . . . 27_laughing.gif

Yes i could have gone to florida to pick up the books even though i'm in Ohio...however that's a bit too long of a drive not to mention my primary vehicle is more of a city car. Not going to risk flying down for an unseen box of comics.

Fair enough...at least the suspense is almost over...

Got your scanner ready? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I’m overtired and cranky today, and this thread is bugging me more than it should. In the process of trying to be more positive, I remembered my own “comics in an old house/grandfather/old lady gift” story.

hi.gif Funny, but in over 40 years of looking, I have never "found" any comics of note anywhere . . . not in an attic, between walls, basement, dumpster, etc. 27_laughing.gif

You are not looking in the right places,

eg

LCS

Shows

Internet

etc, etc poke2.gif

Can't exactly say that you "found" books in those places makepoint.gif

poke2.gif

I’m overtired and cranky today, and this thread is bugging me more than it should. In the process of trying to be more positive, I remembered my own “comics in an old house/grandfather/old lady gift” story.

hi.gif Funny, but in over 40 years of looking, I have never "found" any comics of note anywhere . . . not in an attic, between walls, basement, dumpster, etc. 27_laughing.gif

eg

LCS

Shows

Internet

etc, etc poke2.gif

poke2.gif

Sure I can, they sure as heck didn't find me poke2.gif

eg

LCS

Shows

Internet

etc, etc poke2.gif

poke2.gif

Sure I can, they sure as heck didn't find me poke2.gif

"lookin' for love . . . " 27_laughing.gif

Oh, and he was supposed to come up for a visit around the 6 month mark but he couldn't afford it. Anyways it was a progression of waiting to see what would happen and actually putting it out of my mind for a few months.

He was probably initially confused by my directions of how to ship them, i finally told him to just make sure they don't move around in the box and mail them out. A risk but one worth taking i think.

You said yourself that you've read about fake comic finds all the time. If that's the case, how long have you been lurking on the boards?

Also, for future reference, if you're going to make up a 75 year old uncle and say he's sending you a box of comics, it'd be more believable to say he was sending the comics through the USPS. I doubt there are many near octogenarians who head to the UPS to send stuff out when they're more familiar with the USPS.

If he sent the package out, what's the tracking number? or did your uncle disconnect his phone in between sending out the package and you making up this account to post on the boards?

27_laughing.gif

You said yourself that you've read about fake comic finds all the time. If that's the case, how long have you been lurking on the boards?

Also, for future reference, if you're going to make up a 75 year old uncle and say he's sending you a box of comics, it'd be more believable to say he was sending the comics through the USPS. I doubt there are many near octogenarians who head to the UPS to send stuff out when they're more familiar with the USPS.

If he sent the package out, what's the tracking number? or did your uncle disconnect his phone in between sending out the package and you making up this account to post on the boards?

27_laughing.gif

Eeeeexactly. Not to mention that our most prominent shill is located in Ohio...

I doubt there are many near octogenarians who head to the UPS to send stuff out when they're more familiar with the USPS.

Not true screwy.gif my father-in-law uses UPS all the time sumo.gif Plus their weight limit is higher . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif