• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Top 3 Golden Age Books

287 posts in this topic

My top 3 as of current, but the MF 14 may be on the move.

I've shown this one before - Larson copy, 1st app The Arrow. First costumed hero in comics. Kind of a pre-batman who could be pretty dark.

1168117-FunnyPages2-10.jpg

1168117-FunnyPages2-10.jpg.4cdb6e562ea4e9a8267ee0333004d819.jpg

Then More Fun 14 - I wasn't sure of the significance of this book as a Superman prototype, but then I read the story. It's so close to Superman, it's not even funny. The guy gets super-powers, then in the next panel is wearing a costume with a cape and a triangular symbol on the front. Looks just like Superman.

1168124-MoreFun14a.JPG

1168124-MoreFun14a.JPG.fc605154d0bfe6949f0f889619a1c67a.JPG

Then More Fun 14 - I wasn't sure of the significance of this book as a Superman prototype, but then I read the story. It's so close to Superman, it's not even funny. The guy gets super-powers, then in the next panel is wearing a costume with a cape and a triangular symbol on the front. Looks just like Superman.

1168124-MoreFun14a.JPG

Great books! Is there any way you could show the Prototype story or would rather not take a chance with the book? I dont know how that pages are.

Great idea for a thread, RHG, and very impressive books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

When I delve into collecting again, I hope to have a couple of nice examples to put up here.

My only complaint is that you limited it to your top three books. Personally, having spoken to you briefly about what is in your collection, I want you to make it "top 50 books." poke2.gifstooges.gif

RHG: Did you have a tough time selecting the top 3? If someone else (a mythical average knowledgeable GA collector) were looking at your collection, do you think they would probably gravitate to the same 3 books you selected? Or would they *cough*bluebeetle54MH*cough* perhaps be tempted by another book?

I've shown this one before - Larson copy, 1st app The Arrow. First costumed hero in comics. Kind of a pre-batman who could be pretty dark.

1168117-FunnyPages2-10.jpg

Very nice! 893applaud-thumb.gif

[quoteJeff, what was the sales history of the collection, if you know? Did you buy the book from Strong or through a dealer. Sounds like a missed opportunity for a sweet pedigree designation by whomever secured the collection.

]

Mark,

The Charles Strong books were first offered in CBG #1020 in June of 1993 by Joe Rainone, who, as far as I know, is no longer active in the hobby. I picked up the Fighting Yank #5 from that ad, then picked up the Exciting #30, Thrilling #33 & Thrilling #38 in late October of the same year.

Still looking for that article about Strong...

Great idea for a thread, RHG, and very impressive books! 893applaud-thumb.gif

When I delve into collecting again, I hope to have a couple of nice examples to put up here.

My only complaint is that you limited it to your top three books. Personally, having spoken to you briefly about what is in your collection, I want you to make it "top 50 books." poke2.gifstooges.gif

Thanks FFB. The reason that I limited it to the top 3 was so that it would be more than just a showcase for a lot of great books. I was hoping to get a sense of what was most important to the various forum members and why. From my posts, it is obvious that I am most passionate about rare books that are in high grade, preferably with Flessel covers. Seeing some of the other forumites' selections gives similar insight into their interests (although Buttock wins the award for greatest variety among his 3).

RHG

RHG: Did you have a tough time selecting the top 3? If someone else (a mythical average knowledgeable GA collector) were looking at your collection, do you think they would probably gravitate to the same 3 books you selected? Or would they *cough*bluebeetle54MH*cough* perhaps be tempted by another book?

My top 2 choices (the DA #2 and NA #26) were pretty easy because of their rarity and grade. My third choice (the Tec #15) was a closer call. I finally settled on it because I love the cover so much. I have several other DC and non-DC books, including superhero books, that were also in the running, which other collectors might have preferred.

The Blue Beetle #54 is definitely a favorite of mine, as is my Phantom Lady #17. But because they are more common than my books from the 1930's and early 1940's, they do not make the top 10.

RHG

Great books! Is there any way you could show the Prototype story or would rather not take a chance with the book? I dont know how that pages are.

Unfortunately it's slabbed. I read it before I sent it in, but didn't bother to scan the pages.

I was able to find this page that has a scan from MF 16, but it's not quite the same since his costume changed. confused-smiley-013.gif

My top 2 choices (the DA #2 and NA #26) were pretty easy because of their rarity and grade. My third choice (the Tec #15) was a closer call. I finally settled on it because I love the cover so much. I have several other DC and non-DC books, including superhero books, that were also in the running, which other collectors might have preferred.

The Blue Beetle #54 is definitely a favorite of mine, as is my Phantom Lady #17. But because they are more common than my books from the 1930's and early 1940's, they do not make the top 10.

RHG

What grade would you assign to the Double Action #2 and Detective 15? I still remember what you said about the NA#26. hail.gif

RHG

Thanks for your thoughts -- it's always interesting to hear what pushes peoples buttons.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif You know you're right about the good girls. Why it's hard to see how you could even justify including them in the same collection with all those truly scarce books. And I'm not sure all would even qualify as high grade. Even tth2, with his low standards, would spit on at least 2 of them. tongue.gif

So do you mean you have your MF 14 for sale somewhere?

A friend wants it, and he has some stuff I want. It's basically been promised to him.

I have one for sale if anyone needs one. Beautiful mid-grade unrestored copy.

I thought you were off defending the DoD. poke2.gif

Plane leaves in a few hours (although I have my computer with me anyway). tongue.gif

Plane leaves in a few hours (although I have my computer with me anyway). tongue.gif

wheres the pic of the MF 14?? confused-smiley-013.gif