• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Greytone Cover thread
3 3

661 posts in this topic

The only Adventure I own from that time period. I never really thought of it as a greytone but always loved the cover. Now that you have put it in this thread, I can see the greytone effect that the clouds have. I just never put my finger on it before. No wonder I like this issue so much.

Ken

I haven't really been a big fan of the "in-betweeners"--the covers that can't decide whether they're greytone or regular line-drawn effect.

However, I'd say that the elements on this cover make a pretty strong argument for that hybrid mix. At first glance, the clouds look dingy grey, but I think it gives the cover a slightly ominous effect--done by design to juxtapose that feeling against the typical idealized qualities of Smallville.

Superboy meets the Twilight Zone.

I haven't really been a big fan of the "in-betweeners"--the covers that can't decide whether they're greytone or regular line-drawn effect.

However, I'd say that the elements on this cover make a pretty strong argument for that hybrid mix. At first glance, the clouds look dingy grey, but I think it gives the cover a slightly ominous effect--done by design to juxtapose that feeling against the typical idealized qualities of Smallville.

Well put. And I also think it adds texture to the drawing...almost a 3-d effect.

They supply a visual representation of Superboy's melancholy, reinforcing what is conveyed by his posture and expression. Lovely cover, btw, and I had never noticed the GT effect in the clouds until reading the posts. Thanks! (thumbs u

They supply a visual representation of Superboy's melancholy, reinforcing what is conveyed by his posture and expression. Lovely cover, btw, and I had never noticed the GT effect in the clouds until reading the posts. Thanks! (thumbs u

There you go sounding all artsy-fartsy, Adam! (Us artsnobs gotta stick together)

There you go sounding all artsy-fartsy, Adam! (Us artsnobs gotta stick together)

Says the guy that used "juxtapose" :baiting:

Speaking of things that hurt, Buz and Neil appear to have some things to worry about here; but if I were Michael Collins, I'd have shown this cover to the NASA leaders as an argument for letting me get OUT of the module. I'm sure they would have rethought that one.

mis36.jpg

Edited by Comick1

Your post prompted me to do another manic search for wastones online...

yet again, I come up empty.

This one came in from ebay today, my last war purchase before I invoked my 'no-more-war-comics-off-ebay-until-the-new-year' moratorium last month.

Not as nice as my keeper copy, but I've been looking for a decent second copy for a while and this one totally suits.

My experience hunting for greytones on ebay has been, find four or five target books and just hunt for them without mercy. This one, for example, was in a mixed lot and wasn't identified as a washtone or a greytone.

gic91-2.jpg