• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Greytone Cover thread
3 3

661 posts in this topic

Recent arrival from Ebay. I'm pretty happy with it, although the colors are somewhat faded. I've wanted this issue for a long time...25 pages of classic Kubert art, plus it's the origin story of the Viking Prince.

BB23.jpg

This is a greytone correct?

off94.jpg

Best of all, it's a flamethrower greytone! :cloud9:

No, although several of the Kirby 4th worlds were. This one's greytone effect.

How can you tell? It sure looks like a photo to me.

Guess you have to look at it in person. I've got one sitting right here, and it's definitely greytone. Besides...look at how far out that would have to be to be a photo. When this book was published (late 1970), the only things that had been out that far were the moon landings, and, while certainly not impossible, not very likely that Kirby would have access to a photo from this angle.

The most compelling evidence, of course, is that it's DRAWN. ;)

But no, grab a copy...it's one of those that probably has to be seen in person.

Well, since Kirby frequently used photography, it's likely a photograph. If you look at the background behind it, the image appears to be pasted on top of the crosshatching. But it's probably a photo of a painting, and that painting does look like a greytone painting, that's for sure.

Anyone know how that background was done New Gods issues? It's unusual and I'm wondering if it's done on a special paper or simply how it was inked?

Edited by adamstrange

I've been meaning to check this thread out for some time now. Last night I took the time to look at all 48 pages....Although most all of the good Grey/Wash-tones have been shown....several of you include the partials as well....

I dug out a few Funny Animals from my collection and wanted to share these...the first one we've all seen posted here several times...My camera seems to capture the greytone affect quite well..

Three Mouseketeers 6...

ThreeMouseketeers6.jpg