• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Comic Scandal!

210 posts in this topic

the Comics Journal has done an expose on this as well, and newsarama also sifts through that reporting.

Can we presume CBG will be breaking this story sometime in 2009?

LMAO 27_laughing.gif

thumbsup2.gif

Poor Maggie... insane.gif

the Comics Journal has done an expose on this as well, and newsarama also sifts through that reporting.

I don't think CBG is willing to go that far out on a limb.

In my mind, this is a betrayal of public trust, and he should step down. But further to this egregious sexual act (and I'm not sure if I've read this correctly -- if I haven't, someone please correct me here) is that he actually used public money to defend himself against the charges laid against him!?

The way I read it is the CBLDF used the money to hire an indepedant firm to conduct an investigation of th ematter. He didnt use the money to defend himself

I don't think CBG is willing to go that far out on a limb.

CBG may want to wait until someone is convicted, serves their full sentence, and dies before they print the story.

Convictions are overturned all the time and pardons are always possible. Better safe than sorry.

In my mind, this is a betrayal of public trust, and he should step down. But further to this egregious sexual act (and I'm not sure if I've read this correctly -- if I haven't, someone please correct me here) is that he actually used public money to defend himself against the charges laid against him!?

The way I read it is the CBLDF used the money to hire an indepedant firm to conduct an investigation of th ematter. He didnt use the money to defend himself

Thanks. If the details of that investigation are discussed anywhere, someone please post them here.

This is a classic thread... It pretty much sums up the boards. We have an issue with sketchy details, and we have two camps. One camp will now argue with the other ad nauseum. If and when more details are given, neither side will budge from their position, just twist the info to their side. Spin doctors in their finest hour.

BTW i 'm on the CEO's side on this one. poke2.gif

We are a bunch of geeks. Even those among you who score with airline stewardesses and Penthouse models are geeks, you are just better at hiding it then guys like me. You still know when that geekiness is just below the surface, ready to jump out and bash you on the head. Does it surprise anyone that in a primarily male hobby like ours, with as much arrested development as there is, that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often? Geez, as a group we make engineering students look mature and balanced.

Maybe your a geek but I'm not poke2.gif

I'm all for geeks who can score with airline [ahem] flight attendants and most certainly Penthouse models! Heck, I'll happily join Lamda, Lamda, Lamda (I think that was the "fraternity") to fit in that category! hail.gif

If I was still single of course. gossip.gif

We are a bunch of geeks. Even those among you who score with airline stewardesses and Penthouse models are geeks, you are just better at hiding it then guys like me. You still know when that geekiness is just below the surface, ready to jump out and bash you on the head. Does it surprise anyone that in a primarily male hobby like ours, with as much arrested development as there is, that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often? Geez, as a group we make engineering students look mature and balanced.

Maybe your a geek but I'm not poke2.gif

I'm all for geeks who can score with airline [ahem] flight attendants and most certainly Penthouse models! Heck, I'll happily join Lamda, Lamda, Lamda (I think that was the "fraternity") to fit in that category! hail.gif

If I was still single of course. gossip.gif

I'm sure you would. You kinda remind me of booger stooges.gif

Thanks. If the details of that investigation are discussed anywhere, someone please post them here.

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69233

Certain allegations were brought to the Fund's attention. The Board of Directors has been dealing with the issue since the day after the incident, and has taken the matter very seriously. The Board retained an outside investigator to conduct a thorough independent investigation, which has concluded. Appropriate actions have been taken based on the results of the investigation, but to protect the privacy rights of all the parties involved we cannot comment further." -- Chris Staros, President & Louise Nemschoff, Secretary, Comic Book Legal Defense Fund

Certain allegations were brought to the Fund's attention. The Board of Directors has been dealing with the issue since the day after the incident, and has taken the matter very seriously. The Board retained an outside investigator to conduct a thorough independent investigation, which has concluded. Appropriate actions have been taken based on the results of the investigation, but to protect the privacy rights of all the parties involved we cannot comment further." -- Chris Staros, President & Louise Nemschoff, Secretary, Comic Book Legal Defense Fund

I asked for details. This is drivel, because as a public entity, there should be some transparency. For all we know, appropriate actions might mean that the guy may be taking sensitivity training, and the victim probably told to suck it up.

And whether or not you agree, I still look at the money being used to conduct this investigation as a form of defence because in the end they still used the money to do nothing else but protect his lewd public conduct.

I asked for details. This is drivel, because as a public entity, there should be some transparency. For all we know, appropriate actions might mean that the guy may be taking sensitivity training, and the victim probably told to suck it up.

And whether or not you agree, I still look at the money being used to conduct this investigation as a form of defence because in the end they still used the money to do nothing else but protect his lewd public conduct.

I agree its a white wash but this is the only public statement they have issued on matter.

I agree its a white wash but this is the only public statement they have issued on matter.

What's even more frustrating is that there is absolutely no mention of this, or any public statement on the matter ANYWHERE on the CBLDF website. I've donated my time and money to CBLDF in a number of instances. I did so because I've always believed in the cause, and Brownsteins even been involved in a number of high-profile cases that I've followed over the years.

And for those of you who think this is a personal crusade, or an opportunity to jump all over them -- it isn't. There is an underlying philosophical contraditiction in what the CBLDF is doing here.

The CBLDF exists to fight censorship and defend the first amendment rights of comic book professionals.

It is therefore inexusable for them to conventiently use censorship as a vehicle to protect their members when one of them falls from grace.

This is a classic thread... It pretty much sums up the boards. We have an issue with sketchy details, and we have two camps. One camp will now argue with the other ad nauseum. If and when more details are given, neither side will budge from their position, just twist the info to their side. Spin doctors in their finest hour.

It is pretty clear to me. Even if Some's claims of breast grabbing are dramatic license not a single person is disputing that something sexually improper happened. Since the accused is acting in a manner that shows me that he was fully aware of his actions despite his alcohol consuption it tells me that the whole point of the evening was to have so sort of sexual contact with Some.

The CBLDF has also acted inapproprately. No public funds should have been used to investigate the matter at all. The accused should have been suspended from his duties pending the results of the investigation. The funds for this should have either come from NON-DONATED reserves or from the accused.

Personally I would have fired him outright. He was at the function on behave of a public enterprise and as such should have conducted himself in a professional manner .... even if he was not at the actual function at the time. I have seen it plenty of times where a public employee or privatre employee of a very publically visible company have been fired for tarnishing the business' image.

This is another instance that is beginnning to convince me that the collecting community is not very swift when it comes to PR management.

Damn, what parties am I not being invited to!!!!! frustrated.gif

Rowan Rozanski is on the right in this one. Flirt with her at the next con and maybe she can hook you up with the "in" crowd. stooges.gif

1217895-TakiAndRowan.JPG

Is that Sam Kinison? gossip.gif

It is pretty clear to me. Even if Some's claims of breast grabbing are dramatic license not a single person is disputing that something sexually improper happened. Since the accused is acting in a manner that shows me that he was fully aware of his actions despite his alcohol consuption it tells me that the whole point of the evening was to have so sort of sexual contact with Some.

The CBLDF has also acted inapproprately. No public funds should have been used to investigate the matter at all. The accused should have been suspended from his duties pending the results of the investigation. The funds for this should have either come from NON-DONATED reserves or from the accused.

Personally I would have fired him outright. He was at the function on behave of a public enterprise and as such should have conducted himself in a professional manner .... even if he was not at the actual function at the time. I have seen it plenty of times where a public employee or privatre employee of a very publically visible company have been fired for tarnishing the business' image.

This is another instance that is beginnning to convince me that the collecting community is not very swift when it comes to PR management.

Well said! thumbsup2.gif