• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Comic Scandal!

210 posts in this topic

Some folks just have to realize not all Asian girls act like the ones on their favorite websites...

You do realize you're going to hell, right? poke2.gif

Some folks just have to realize not all Asian girls act like the ones on their favorite websites...

You do realize you're going to hell, right? poke2.gif

Got front row seats! acclaim.gif

evil_smilie2.gif

Is she hot? confused-smiley-013.gif

Does it matter!?!? confused-smiley-013.gif

For curiousity's sake, yes. To make a determination if the CBLDF guy was out of line, no.

Look here, Darth:

Taki photo

devil.gif

That's about a handful? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

She's no therapist-with-the-peeky-thong mind you, but hey, she'll do. devil.gif

darth, you just crack me up sometimes............... 27_laughing.gif

and for the record, i find her attractive................. cool.gif

He's lucky. If they did, she'd have pooped on him.

I can’t imagine why on Earth he would have carried on this cordial discussion that ended in a warm handshake with Brownstein mere months after the alleged incident.

This is obviously written by a woman, and a very naive one at that. yeahok.gif

Guys are knowingly friendly with wife-beaters, date rapists, drug addicts, criminals, brawlers, and all manner of abuser - there is just something in the male brain that separates a guy's actions outside the "personal aquaintance/friend" level.

And that's a fact jack. You can even see it on here, when *certain people* pull openly fraudulent acts, yet continue to be supported my many "friends".

Considering the things she's had to deal with, Colleen is hardly the naive sort. But considering her history with a beloved comic quasi-icon (now deceased), she might just agree with your opinion

I probably would have drowned him if he bothered my wife and daughter.

And it doesn't matter what time of day. Anybody claiming that "after hours" equals all bets are off is hopefully joking.

It's funny how things can look on paper and the way that can affect how a situation is viewed.

I've been in plenty of hot tubs at 3 am to know how these types of things happen. Luckily for me, every girls' breasts I've felt on in them has enjoyed the experience. devil.gif I guess I've always read the situation right and knew when to make that kind of move.

Seriously, she acts like the entire evening went against her wishes. She was coaxed down to the pool (against her wishes), she was thrown in the pool (against her wishes), she stayed in the hot tub with the guy until 3 am (I'm sure against her wishes), she started to get out at which time he did what most men would do...and that is finally bust a move by rubbing her shoulders...and she stayed in (against her wishes). As she stayed in, he began to rub under her shirt and slowly moved from the back to the front and then to her breasts (against her wishes). He then tried to list her shirt, at which time her boyfriend became suspicious and came over to the hot tub (probably against her wishes) and intervened.

It just seems, she had plenty of decision opportunties to never have been in this situation if she truly hadn't wanted to be there. I have to question how much she also had to drink as well as her "attacker" and if her remorse increased after her boyfriend caught the funny business going on.

It would seem if she was truly being attacked in such a amnner as described, her boyfriend might have done more at the scene and certainly gottem more invlived in the complaint filed. I can't see him hanging out with him at a future con. Seems strange.

I'm certainly not advocating the perps actions, but he had every signal up to that point that he could make a move on her. Should a guy get a written statement at 3am in a hot tub that it's ok to get a boob grab? You use instincts and take a chance. It didn't work out. Live and learn for both parties. What more does she want at this point? She's embarrasssed and shamed him amongst his peers. The word is now out about this hot tub molester, so what else can be gained?

I also believe that if the law officials thought there was more to be done here, there would be. They obviosly felt no need to take it any further, so there must be some cause for that.

I thought the CBLDF was set up to help store owners fight frivolous lawsuits not support sexual harasment claims

They aren't supporting it, at least, I didn't think so. They simply did their own research into the matter so they could figure out what to do with their employee.

By not terminating Charles Brownstein they are supporting sexual harasment.

By terminating him,what would they be supporting?

From what I've read here,the police didn't think a crime was commited.His company ran its own investigation and found nothing,so why would you fire him?All we know he's really guilty of is being in a hot-tub.Everything else is strictly he said-she said.

Some more follow-up:

The CBLDF issued the following statement when asked by Newsarama to confirm whether Soma's allegations were brought to them:

"Certain allegations were brought to the Fund's attention. The Board of Directors has been dealing with the issue since the day after the incident, and has taken the matter very seriously. The Board retained an outside investigator to conduct a thorough independent investigation, which has concluded. Appropriate actions have been taken based on the results of the investigation, but to protect the privacy rights of all the parties involved we cannot comment further." -- Chris Staros, President & Louise Nemschoff, Secretary, Comic Book Legal Defense Fund

Newsarama contacted Staros to further clarify points raised by the CBLDF statement, firstly, given that there have been no announcements of personnel changes, could it safely be assumed that the independent investigation exonerated Charles Brownstein from the specific allegations made against him by Taki Soma?

“While we cannot get into the specifics of the investigation, on receiving the independent investigator's report and recommendations it became apparent to the Board that appropriate internal actions would be sufficient to work through this regrettable incident,” Staros told Newsarama. “Employment law is very specific about privacy rights, and to protect the privacy rights of all the parties involved, we had to handle the matter in a strictly confidential manner. In any event, I will reiterate that we took the matter extremely seriously, were involved from the day after the incident, and when the independent investigator delivered her report to the CBLDF Board, we did everything to comply with all her recommendations.”

Staros said that the investigation cost the Fund approximately $7,500, and the monies came from the CBLDF’s general operating fund, which is “comprised of donations from individuals and companies, as well as donations earned through premiums that we manufacture or are donated to us. Non-profit organizations routinely have operating expenses which are paid from these non-restricted revenue streams. So while this was an unfortunate expenditure, it was a necessary one, approved by the entire Board of Directors.”

Asked if Staros felt that Board is liable for the actions of its executive director 24/7 during conventions, he replied: “Obviously, if we didn't believe that Charles' personal actions reflected upon the Fund, we would not have taken immediate action and conducted a thorough independent investigation. And while we are always concerned with the image that our employees project, legally speaking, what people do on their own time, after work hours, is, in most cases, a personal matter. It's definitely a complicated issue, and one that involves both legal and employee rights issues. This is why the Board and independent investigator spent so much time investigating and deliberating on the matter.”

Newsarama also sought to clarify a claim that was made in the initial Buzzscope column, that is, that the CBLDF offered to make a donation in Soma’s name to a charity. It was implied by others that the offer was made to quiet Soma.

Newsarama asked Staros: Did the Board, as it has been alleged, offer to pay a sum of money to Ms. Soma shortly after the incident?

Staros: “Absolutely not. I was the board member Ms. Soma talked to after the incident, and in all of our extensive conversations, I never made such an offer. The confusion here may have come from the fact that, at one time, Charles personally offered (through Ken Lillie-Paetz) to make a donation to a charity of Ms. Soma's choice to demonstrate that he was willing to back up the sincerity of his personal apology with more than mere words. But this never had anything to do with the official response of the organization.”

Finally, when asked if, in his estimation, this incident has had an effect on the reputation of the CBLDF, or Brownstein's ability to do his job, Staros answered:

“We hope not. The mission of the Fund -- to protect the First Amendment rights of the comics community -- is ever paramount, as is Charles' dedication to the cause. In life, sometimes apologies need to be accepted, second chances need to be given, and people's lives, contributions, and worth need to be looked at as a whole. There are also practical limitations as to how much an organization can assert control over, or be responsible for, its employees on their own time. People who look for reasons to condemn the CBLDF may do so, but those who realize that a person made a mistake, feels terrible about it, and that both the organization and individual have taken the appropriate internal actions to correct the matter, will not hold it against us. Obviously, it may take time for Charles to restore his personal reputation, but professionally, we stand behind him.”