• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Holy Comic Scandal!

210 posts in this topic

1. Chichillas though cute, can get pretty smelly. So, Soma is out.

2. Anyone have Carrie's number and is she looking for a Mexican sugar daddy? devil.gif

3. Okay, all kidding aside, perhaps there is enough inpropriety going here that this guy should step down. I hate to suggest it but he probably should.

If he cost the Fund 7500 by his behavior, then that alone should get him booted. Frankly, that money should have come out of his own pocket.

but if he is innocent and no crime was commited (Which I doubt) then they have no grounds for dismissal

That seems to be the problem.

Either assume he's guilty and fire him,or do an investigation,clear him and then fire him for costing the Fund the cost of the investigation.

Reminds me of the old days. Throw a person in the pond. If he drowns,he's innocent. If he survives,he's a witch and we'll burn him.

Seems like his supporters should have their own fund-raiser to defer the cost of the investigation.

If a civil law suit was to occur,would CBLDF be held responsible?

He admitted that he attempted a "playful" grope at this woman. That's enough of an admission plus the cost to the fund to let him go. You don't need formal charges to fire someone.

We are a bunch of geeks. Even those among you who score with airline stewardesses and Penthouse models are geeks, you are just better at hiding it then guys like me. You still know when that geekiness is just below the surface, ready to jump out and bash you on the head. Does it surprise anyone that in a primarily male hobby like ours, with as much arrested development as there is, that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often? Geez, as a group we make engineering students look mature and balanced.

If this happened in most walks of society very little would happen other than the man being declared, quite rightly, a pig. Sometimes the cops would be called. Sometimes he would be charged. Sometimes the individual would be convicted and THEN nothing would happen (except legal fees and even more embarrassment).

The issue, I suppose, is that Brownstein is deeply involved in the comic book legal defense fund and should therefore, like school teachers with students, doctors with patients, and bosses with subordinates, show extra caution when dealing with people involved in comics. Do we want to donate to an organization that Brownstein is involved with? Do we want to donate to an organization that spends their monies the way they do?

If these are not the issues, is this a personal matter being played out in public so that Brownstein can feel more embarassment, not just among those close to him but among the community as a whole? If it is, great. Anyone who would do that sort of thing should have his name dragged through the muck as far is possible.

We are a bunch of geeks. Even those among you who score with airline stewardesses and Penthouse models are geeks, you are just better at hiding it then guys like me. You still know when that geekiness is just below the surface, ready to jump out and bash you on the head. Does it surprise anyone that in a primarily male hobby like ours, with as much arrested development as there is, that this sort of thing doesn't happen more often? Geez, as a group we make engineering students look mature and balanced.

If this happened in most walks of society very little would happen other than the man being declared, quite rightly, a pig. Sometimes the cops would be called. Sometimes he would be charged. Sometimes the individual would be convicted and THEN nothing would happen (except legal fees and even more embarrassment).

The issue, I suppose, is that Brownstein is deeply involved in the comic book legal defense fund and should therefore, like school teachers with students, doctors with patients, and bosses with subordinates, show extra caution when dealing with people involved in comics. Do we want to donate to an organization that Brownstein is involved with? Do we want to donate to an organization that spends their monies the way they do?

If these are not the issues, is this a personal matter being played out in public so that Brownstein can feel more embarassment, not just among those close to him but among the community as a whole? If it is, great. Anyone who would do that sort of thing should have his name dragged through the muck as far is possible.

Maybe your a geek but I'm not poke2.gif

This is a pretty terrible thing for any woman to have to endure. Part of the problem is that the perspective used by courts and lawmakers in today's society tries far too hard to undo the wrongs of the past. And maybe that's not an entirely bad thing because woman have been victims to a number of different forms of physical and sexual abuse for far too long. Even in cases of spousal abuse that weren't taken seriously, it took the lives of innocent woman dying in the hands of their abusive partners for things to be taken more seriously.

And I don't in any way mean to minimize the sensitivity of the matter by drawing attention away from what I consider an equally disturbing facet of this story, but the one glaring thing for me is that Brownstein is a public servant entrusted with public money through his employment with the CBLDF. Regardless whether a sexual misdemeanour charge has been laid or not, he's publicly admitted to committing a scandalous public act. In my mind, this is a betrayal of public trust, and he should step down. But further to this egregious sexual act (and I'm not sure if I've read this correctly -- if I haven't, someone please correct me here) is that he actually used public money to defend himself against the charges laid against him!?

This may seem a little harsh, but I hope the only comments the President is withholding from the public is that Brownstein has been dismissed. A right of privacy still afforded to him in what would otherwise be an open and shut case of an individual who has breached public trust due in part to gross public misconduct, with a possible misappropriation of public funds hanging over the CBLDF's head.

If someone can post a link to the CBLDF's statement/position on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks also for bringing this to our attention.

Question: I wonder if the Red Cross or Salvation Army would keep their director if such a story came out about them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Answer :Hells NO!

Maximus CEO Fired Over Conduct Toward Worker

Female Employee Got Settlement; Ex-CFO to Lead Firm

By Charles R. Babcock

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, April 25, 2006; Page D04

Maximus Inc., a Reston-based state and local government contractor, has fired its chief executive because of his conduct toward a female employee.

Lynn P. Davenport, who has been president of the company since October 2003 and became chief executive a year later, was terminated Friday, according to Maximus spokeswoman Rachael Rowland. She said the company learned of the allegation in the past couple of weeks and the board of directors "took swift action because we have a zero-tolerance policy" for misconduct.

Lynn P. Davenport was terminated Friday as Maximus's chief executive, the company said.

Rowland declined to name the woman or describe the nature of the misconduct. The woman, who has since left the company, received a settlement that, along with legal costs, will cost Maximus 2 to 3 cents a share of its second-quarter results, a company statement said. According to the number of shares outstanding at the end of the year, that would amount to between about $438,000 and $657,000.

Davenport did not return a phone message seeking comment.

Maximus named Richard A. Montoni, its former chief financial officer, as the new chief executive and president. He had left the company last month to take a CFO job in his native New England.

Maximus stock, which has been trading between $30 and $40 over the past year, closed yesterday at $33.95, up 10 cents.

Thomas Meagher, who follows the stock for Friedman, Billings, Ramsey & Co., said yesterday of Montoni: "Bringing him back is the reason why the stock held up so well today. He really improved the [company's] financial performance" and was Maximus's liaison to Wall Street.

Stifel Nicolaus & Co., another firm that follows Maximus, issued a report for clients that retained its "buy" rating, though it said the management change could cause "near-term disruption." It noted that the company should profit from an upward trend in state and local government spending.

The company, which has more than 5,000 employees, about 600 of them in the Washington area, has seen its business rise and fall with the changing revenue of state governments. In the fiscal year ended Sept. 30, Maximus reported revenue of $647.5 million and net income of $36.1 million.

It said it expected growth as states continue to outsource to private contractors the management of federally mandated health-care and other programs.

"but the one glaring thing for me is that Brownstein is a public servant entrusted with public money through his employment with the CBLDF"

since when is the CBLDF a public entity? if anything, it fights against public entities trying to censor comics and comic shops. a not-for-profit entity licensed by the government, yes, and to that extent there's some accountability to the government

"but the one glaring thing for me is that Brownstein is a public servant entrusted with public money through his employment with the CBLDF"

since when is the CBLDF a public entity? if anything, it fights against public entities trying to censor comics and comic shops. a not-for-profit entity licensed by the government, yes, and to that extent there's some accountability to the government

Non-profit = public entity. Cause has very little to do with it. Look up the requirements to become a non-profit. You'll see a long list of requirements which call for direct accountability to the public, from the way they can run as a tax-free organization right through to the way their fundraising is structured and in the manner they accept public pledges and donations.

How does it raise funds?

Public donations? confused-smiley-013.gif

If someone can post a link to the CBLDF's statement/position on this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks also for bringing this to our attention.

From here, this whole thing looks a lot greyer than it may at first appear. (but isn't it always?)

Here's the most recent newsarama.com piece

They quote the CBLDF statement towards the bottom, and manage to get some follow up comments out of the CBLDF main guy. Heaven help us, the Comics Journal has done an expose on this as well, and newsarama also sifts through that reporting.

How does it raise funds?

Public donations? confused-smiley-013.gif

thumbsup2.gif