• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your high grade Fantastic Fours

399 posts in this topic

Big thanks to Doug and Jimbo for working together on this thread! As a big FF fan, I love seeing these books. Now I know why Doug got/gets so obsessed about HG SA Marvels. It's like when you start to refurbish your house...once you have a nice couch, you need to replace the carpet. Once that's done, the curtains need updating. Then the walls need painting...pretty soon everything is a 9.6 and you're deep in debt!

Dan

Big thanks to Doug and Jimbo for working together on this thread! As a big FF fan, I love seeing these books. Now I know why Doug got/gets so obsessed about HG SA Marvels. It's like when you start to refurbish your house...once you have a nice couch, you need to replace the carpet. Once that's done, the curtains need updating. Then the walls need painting...pretty soon everything is a 9.6 and you're deep in debt!

Dan

Dan, that's why I think guys like you and I gave up our hopes of owning high grade runs and decided to "settle" for nice mid-grade keys (in your case) or nice mid-grade runs at well under Guide (like me).

No matter how much money I had, it became harder for me to justify that type of uber-high grade mentality that keeps you upgrading from 9.0s to 9.2s to 9.4s. No knocks against Doug or Tom Brulato or other high grade collectors at all, their collections are amazing and often times defy description. But a lot of those guys got the majority of their books pre-CGC, so it became easier from a financial standpoint to keep or expand upon their runs.

Unless you have six figures of monopoly money to spend in what has become a bit of a violatile market today, I'd say the resevoir of new blood chasing high grade runs of these wonderful books isn't going to get too deep.

All that being said, what great books Doug! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Unless you have six figures of monopoly money to spend in what has become a bit of a violatile market today, I'd say the resevoir of new blood chasing high grade runs of these wonderful books isn't going to get too deep.

All that being said, what great books Doug! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

I think it's a valid statement. These books represent the best there is, but would they garner the financial homage that they warrant if ever put up for sale??

My feelings at this point in time say no. I think the ususal suspects would be fought over to a degree, and the rest would go at standard multiples. The capacity to pay big dollars for a number of books is simply not around outside of a few dealer's.

Turkey,

Thanks, man. I appreciate that. Believe me, I didn't have that much $$ to spend around on books. I never put $$ into stocks, lived in an apartment building and had relatively low bills, etc. It seemed like I spent everything I made buying high grade comics. That's an obssession for sure and was never really looking at it from an investment purpose. I knew I loved these high grade Marvels and when one was offered to me or a trade represented itself I went for it. If it wasn't for these forums, i'd have nobody to really share these great books with!! Thanks, guys.

I'm about to email more scans to Jimbo. I hope he has enough time to get these up.

Doug

Surf,

I will. The truth is, it gets me to take the books out and look at them, etc (I do that periodically but now I have to do it) and I really like being able to share high grade books. If only Brulato was more available to post some of his books. Unbelievable books!!

Whoever wants to start another thread posting high grade whatever please feel free to do so. I'm not done with the FF's yet so hold on a little while. I emailed Jimbo 8 more before and hopefully he can post them tonite.

Take care, Surf. Good luck to the Orioles!!

Doug

Here's a couple of "realistic" copies of possibly my favorite early FF.I'll post them while I'm waiting for Doug's other 8 scans(I'll try to post them tonight but I do have to get to bed earlier than last night insane.gif).Back when I first started buying back issues in the early 70's high grade was considered VF or better.These are my copies of FF # 13.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

ff13rjl.jpg[/img]

This is from the R.J. Long collection and would probably be a solid 9.0 if not for a rack dimple near the # 13 and a small tape pull that is probably the reason that I was even able to get this from it's owner.

ff13frdn.jpg[/img]

I got this copy from forum member r1970d.If you'll look closely,it has the nicest pages and the deepest colour strike that I've ever seen on a 13,a book that seems notoriously tough to find with nice paper.

Ack, FF #13 is an issue I would love to add to my collection, in any grade. But they are fiendishly hard to find. There are only a handful on eBay right now and of the three or four that are up for auction, two are in horrible condition. I see more FF #1s on eBay than #13s.

13 is notoriously tough in grade. I suspect the coverstock used on that issue was a lower grade paperstock. More copies than not have bad tanning halos and the colors turn a dingy gray. It's nice seeeing a copy where the background actually looks blue!

To make matters worse, the cutting blade must have been on its last legs when this issue was trimmed because a very high percentage have Marvel chipping.

Best copy I ever saw of FF #13 was the 9.2 oww (below) copy I bought from Mark Wilson's website and then sold to Jamie Rudd (fantastic_four) for his HG run. I love this book, not only for its colors but for its introduction of the Watcher. (I now own the "Stan Lee file copy" of this book, signed by Stan himself! 4.0)

One of the best FF #13's!

FanFour13.jpg

Best copy I ever saw of FF #13 was the 9.2 oww (below) copy I bought from Mark Wilson's website and then sold to Jamie Rudd (fantastic_four) for his HG run. I love this book, not only for its colors but for its introduction of the Watcher. (I now own the "Stan Lee file copy" of this book, signed by Stan himself! 4.0)

FanFour13.jpg

this one is a killer cloud9.gif

Dan,

I'm surprised that only got a 9.2. It looks nicer than my 9.4 copy that Jimbo posted. Awesome book with bright colors. Looks like a pedigree to me!!

My 13 came from Harley Yee originally and I bought it (I'm pretty sure) from the "3rd Best Marvel SA" guy a few years ago. I remember Harley having that book on hold for the guy at a Big Apple convention (in a church on 60th Street ran by Mike Carbonaro), must've been 98 or 99. I was so upset the guy found it from Harley before I did but I wore him down years later and got it. Little did I know that was probably my only chance to own a NM copy.

Doug

Hey Doug --

What keeps it out of a legit 9.6 is a tiny spot of front cover water damage above the word "comic" at the very top of the book. The rest of the book is unbelievable...fresh, flat, glossy, gorgeous! One of the finest FF's I was ever privileged enough to own.

Dan

FanFour13.jpg

I eat 9.2's for breakfast! 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif That's a really nice looking book.

Hey Doug --

What keeps it out of a legit 9.6 is a tiny spot of front cover water damage above the word "comic" at the very top of the book. The rest of the book is unbelievable...fresh, flat, glossy, gorgeous! One of the finest FF's I was ever privileged enough to own.

Dan

A 9.2 can have a water spot, my theory of CGC grading has come to a crashing burning demise.

Very nice book.

Dan,

I was right, that is a pedigree. It's the Curator copy!! Tom B used to own it and it got a very tiny bit of water damage from the rain (Tom relayed that he was transporting a box of books from his office to the car and it started raining and nothing else but the #13 got hit). That's definitely the Curator copy, Dan. No wonder it looks like a friggin' 9.6!! When Tom tells me that story I see moisture in his eyes and who can blame him!!

Doug