• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

The War 29 was another boardie's undercopy...... I bought a couple of his other undercopies and he just gave me that one and one other. I keep one of those early 90's Marvel sketch cards that has a D. Ayers Fury sketch on it in the Mylar behind the board of the one that had an Ayer's story in it :cloud9: ..... I doubt I'd ever sell those, I was just blown away by the gesture. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Awesome story. Ayers was a very nice guy who had some great art in Atlas. He was much more than just a Kirby inker. HE did some good work in DC war comics in the 70s as well. Always a very approachable and generous fellow who donated numerous times to the war comics banquet auctions. He was our guest about 3 X over the years, but he donated more than that even in absentia. Total gentleman of the first order.

Funny. Mick, I always thought your avatar was some kind of octopus! But I zoomed in close and was shocked its four round portrait photos! Who are they?

My favorite band of all time--The Kinks. (Sorry, just now answering this one)

Big-5 War Comics Banquet / Auction (coincides with Thursday of San Diego Con)

Date: Thursday, July 21

Time: 8:00-10:30

Where: Filippi's Pizza Grotto

Address: 1747 India St San Diego 92101

As in the past, we'll be charging $25.00 a head. That pays for salads for everybody AND you can order anything off the entree or pizza menu. You can also order sodas/non-alcoholic drinks on that tab. If you want to order any alcohol, the waitress will keep a separate tab and you'll pay that "cash bar" style at the end. The extra $$ will go toward underwriting Russ Heath's meal and hotel room. We'll take the proceeds from the auction and use some for underwriting next year's guest AND send a little nest-egg to Russ Heath and Sam Glanzman.

Everybody's invited

Special guest -- Russ Heath

As in the past, I'm working on a few art donations for the auction, including one from Russ Heath. You are also welcome to bring your own items to auction off that night. We're inviting people to bring any things that they'd like to auction. You may specify how much of the proceeds from the auction will go toward the Big-5 group (20% minimum. In other words, people who donate an item pocket a maximum of 80%. If you want to donate more or the whole thing, that's up to you.) We'll have some cool little surprises on hand as always.

Hope you can make it!

Please RSVP with a headcount if you ARE planning on attending.

Best,

Mick

Private message or email work great.

comick1@aol.com

Those Grandenetti frogman covers are fantastic! :applause:

It's been awhile since I posted some books, so here are a few later 10¢ers:

ssws72_zps4a4eaedc.jpg

ssws74_zps69f0a599.jpg

Those Grandenetti frogman covers are fantastic! :applause:

It's been awhile since I posted some books, so here are a few later 10¢ers:

ssws72_zps4a4eaedc.jpg

ssws74_zps69f0a599.jpg

Gotta agree! :headbang:

Russ is a go. He's not officially set up in Artist's Alley and probably won't be, but he's coming to the Big-5 war comics banquet and will probably be toodling around a bit on the con floor on Friday of con. PM me and we can figure out some logistical stuff so that you can be sure to meet him.

For any of the DC war fanatics who's planning to pick up a copy of the Overstreet guide for this year, I guess it's going to be the limited edition Sgt. Rock cover for you guys then.

An absolutely gorgeous Sgt. Rock cover by Russ Heath and definitely better than the standard edition Harley Quinn and Power Girl covers by Amanda Conners. Especially since this limited edition cover is going for the same price as the standard edition covers.

image_zpsfm6pgh8g.jpeg

:bump:

Gonna get my copy next week! :whee::whee::whee:

Russ is a go. He's not officially set up in Artist's Alley and probably won't be, but he's coming to the Big-5 war comics banquet and will probably be toodling around a bit on the con floor on Friday of con. PM me and we can figure out some logistical stuff so that you can be sure to meet him.

For any of the DC war fanatics who's planning to pick up a copy of the Overstreet guide for this year, I guess it's going to be the limited edition Sgt. Rock cover for you guys then.

An absolutely gorgeous Sgt. Rock cover by Russ Heath and definitely better than the standard edition Harley Quinn and Power Girl covers by Amanda Conners. Especially since this limited edition cover is going for the same price as the standard edition covers.

image_zpsfm6pgh8g.jpeg

:bump:

Gonna get my copy next week! :whee::whee::whee:

How do we get this?