• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I've always had a soft spot for Farrells, and this is a great copy! The interiors were always so over the top, and sometimes their covers went a little crazy too. The art is a little sketchy at times, but they are always fun to read.

I won this beautiful Russ Heath painting from the auction at the dinner. It's dated 1946!

Auction during the dinner with Russ Heath? I hope he will come back!

Me too. :wishluck:

Picked up this one recently. The stories are pretty weak, but the cover more than makes up for it.

GI_In_Battle_5_zpsb2gbcpky.png

Nice!! :applause:

Thanks everyone for the kind comments. The interior artwork isn't bad either. The disappointing part is that there is no story inside that matches the cover. Not one panel of a Red Cross nurse to be found :(

Hey everybody!

Any of you have your comic books signed by Russ Heath at SDCC few weeks ago. The invoice number has not showed up on CGC registry website.

Did your invoice number(s) or your book(s) show up in their system?

I wait for it a long time.

Hey everybody!

Any of you have your comic books signed by Russ Heath at SDCC few weeks ago. The invoice number has not showed up on CGC registry website.

It depends on the tier (level) that you chose when you submitted them to CGC.

I had Russ sign 2 books and I submitted them under the Standard tier. That's a pretty quick service, but also pretty expensive. They are now graded/packed and shipped. (thumbs u

If yours were submitted Economy, or Economy Fast Track, then there will still be a bit of a wait. SDCC was not very long ago, remember. :preach:

Hey everybody!

It depends on the tier (level) that you chose when you submitted them to CGC.

I had Russ sign 2 books and I submitted them under the Standard tier. That's a pretty quick service, but also pretty expensive. They are now graded/packed and shipped. (thumbs u

If yours were submitted Economy, or Economy Fast Track, then there will still be a bit of a wait. SDCC was not very long ago, remember. :preach:

That :preach: icon made me old. Yep, I submitted Economy. The invoice number just showed up on the system. Went for cheap. They did a great job to catch up with 10,000+ comic books. in less than three weeks.

I will wait and wait and will turn me into.... :preach: Rip Van Winkle thing. At least CGC have mine! What books did Russ sign?

Mine are...

G.I. Combat #44, 87, 91, Battlefield #1 (first five pages of Russ Heath's work), Battleground #13 (Russ Heath cover), Showcase #27-29 and #45. Once my books are shipped and arrived here safe, I will flash you my books here.

Edited by JollyComics

I watched him sign your books. :D

I'd love to see pics when you get them back. (thumbs u

His signatures are better than Stan Lee I assumed?

"Better" is a relative term. Better for some but certainly not all.

I watched him sign your books. :D

I'd love to see pics when you get them back. (thumbs u

His signatures are better than Stan Lee I assumed?

"Better" is a relative term. Better for some but certainly not all.

I have to wait for 3-4 months and show you his signatures that you can judge.

Did anybody pick up USS Stevens: The Collected Stories by Glanzman. Got my copy in the mail yesterday, gorgeous book. Can't wait to start reading it. I believe it collects all of his USS Stevens stories from, Dell, DC and Marvel and a new one for the book.

Did anybody pick up USS Stevens: The Collected Stories by Glanzman. Got my copy in the mail yesterday, gorgeous book. Can't wait to start reading it. I believe it collects all of his USS Stevens stories from, Dell, DC and Marvel and a new one for the book.

I thought USS Stevens was strictly directed under DC. Found more information about the artist Sam Glanzman who served on real-life USS Stevens and his art career: The Collected Stories by Glanzman.

Did you get it from Amazon? I found one too. Most recent print was July 2016 that is what you got?

Ok.

Crazy as it may sound. With over 30,000 comics in my collection, I have never really been into war comics.

Sure I have my sgt fury 1....

Weird War Tales....

War Fury 1-4

Wings, Rangers, Fight...

And a few war books with GGA type covers

I also have smattering of esoteric issues like Dino star spangled, our army at war and others but I doubt I have over 500-1000 war type books.

But

If I were going to start "reading" a few war titles and getting the most bang for my buck...where do I go and start? I may already have some but would like someone to press the easy button for me please.

Also any recommendations for the best war books to chase down.