• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

MOST excellent!!

Anybody have a release date for this collection yet?

Spring 2007 is all I've seen.

I'd never heard of Fletcher Hanks, but I happened upon that article in Wizard and figured somebody here on the Gold forum would be interested.

I'd never heard of Fletcher Hanks, but I happened upon that article in Wizard and figured somebody here on the Gold forum would be interested.

Very interested, thanks for the info NR.

Imagine a cross between Bernard (Spectre) Baily and Basil (Spacehawk) Wolverton, and you'd approximate a Fletcher Hanks story.

STEVE

Welcome to the Golden Age, MD!

And please, feel free to bring her to the party anytime smile.gif

STEVE

I will crack her open ( blush.gif ) soon and then i think she will be a lot more fun than when being tied up in a cage shy.gif

STEVE

I will crack her open ( blush.gif ) soon and then i think she will be a lot more fun than when being tied up in a cage shy.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

STEVE

893crossfingers-thumb.gif Good luck and be sure to pratice "safe" cracking!

Allready posted elsewhere, sorry.gif but the lady will be sad not to be put in with the other Fox's where she belongs cloud9.gif

RAD982F3200681_114952.jpg

The more I see of "Phantom Lady", the more I want to branch out into that title ... great, great book. What a "fox". boo.gif

Hi guys,

My anthology, "I Shalll Destroy All The Civilized Planets: The Comics of Fletcher Hanks", should be out by the end of May. Here is a link to an interview about the book in Publisher's Weekly:

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6405736.html

The book features 15 Hanks stories (several from the collection of your esteemed colleague, Mr. Berk), followed by a 16 page comics story by myself that reveals, "Whatever Happened to Fletcher Hanks?"

Hope you enjoy it.

-Paul Karasik

Hi guys,

My anthology, "I Shalll Destroy All The Civilized Planets: The Comics of Fletcher Hanks", should be out by the end of May. Here is a link to an interview about the book in Publisher's Weekly:

The book features 15 Hanks stories (several from the collection of your esteemed colleague, Mr. Berk), followed by a 16 page comics story by myself that reveals, "Whatever Happened to Fletcher Hanks?"

Hope you enjoy it.

-Paul Karasik

VERY cool. Thanks for doing the legwork required to get this project done. I'll definitely be buying it.

Hi guys,

Hope you enjoy it.

-Paul Karasik

This is on my "must buy" list, please keep us updated with any changes in publishing dates!

Hi Paul,

This is something I would get in line the day before to buy ...I can't wait to see it!! I am curious, are the pages photographed in all their original beauty, or did you use the color drop out method ala Marvel Masterworks? please say the first option. (the original Hanks pages looked great in that "Art Out of Time" book!)

Thanks for your dedication... who else would compile a book from an artist this obscure? May can't come soon enough...

popcorn.gif

Wow! I guess this means that somone other than my mom is actually willing to buy a copy of this book!

The pages will appear in their original glory, but with a subtle yet important difference. In "Art Out of Time" the decision was made to include all of the newsprint surrounding the comics themselves. In the Fletcher Hanks book we are dropping out the gutters and the area around the pages so that they appear on a crisp white background. Maybe this is a little precious for you purists, but I believe that it actually makes the work pop out a bit more and it looks very handsome. I assure that the only adjustments made to the orignal scans was to make them look 100% like an old smelly comic book. I look forward to your reactions.

By the way, if you have not seen "Art Out of Time" by Dan Nadel you should try to track it down. It has one Hanks story (which I will not include in my anthology, but would if Dan had not used it), and tons of other great, weird old stuff, though not much in the realm of superheroes, if that is your cup of Sanka.

Wow! I guess this means that somone other than my mom is actually willing to buy a copy of this book!

The pages will appear in their original glory, but with a subtle yet important difference. In "Art Out of Time" the decision was made to include all of the newsprint surrounding the comics themselves. In the Fletcher Hanks book we are dropping out the gutters and the area around the pages so that they appear on a crisp white background. Maybe this is a little precious for you purists, but I believe that it actually makes the work pop out a bit more and it looks very handsome. I assure that the only adjustments made to the orignal scans was to make them look 100% like an old smelly comic book. I look forward to your reactions.

By the way, if you have not seen "Art Out of Time" by Dan Nadel you should try to track it down. It has one Hanks story (which I will not include in my anthology, but would if Dan had not used it), and tons of other great, weird old stuff, though not much in the realm of superheroes, if that is your cup of Sanka.

Thanks Paul, for keeping the art in its original state. I think dropping the newsprint color out of the gutters is a good move... I am very much looking forward to this volume (and will stockpile them for gifts!)

"Art Out of Time" IS well worth checking out ... great Hanks story in it.

I just borrowed a library copy last night and am loving it!

The big problem is that the strips originally published as huge Sunday funnies are reduced so much that they're illegible. Great selection though. I had no idea that Victor Moscoso found his inspiration in a strip called "The Wiggle Much " by Herbert Crowley (at least to my eyes) -- but that's one of the strips that's overly shrunk.

I wonder whether putting the giant features on fold-out pages would have priced the book out of the market.

I'm looking forward to your Hanks book.

Jack

Thanks Paul, for keeping the art in its original state. I think dropping the newsprint color out of the gutters is a good move... I am very much looking forward to this volume (and will stockpile them for gifts!)

I'm definitely interested. thumbsup2.gif

Tell your Mom to get in line. stooges.gif

I'm definitely interested. thumbsup2.gif

Tell your Mom to get in line. stooges.gif

Wow. That's the first time I've heard the phrases "Your Mom" and "get in line" used together positively in the same sentence. tongue.gif27_laughing.gif

Hi guys,

Hope you enjoy it.

-Paul Karasik

VERY cool. Thanks for doing the legwork required to get this project done. I'll definitely be buying it.

Where can I preorder takeit.gif