• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

NICE Mystery Men , CM!! That is one of my fav covers... I missed winning it in the Comic Heaven auction that just ended, but I'm always on the lookout for that particular issue (anyone? anyone?).

OK! OK! - I give! <cue cut scene of RyanH twisting my arm off-line>

Ryan, this Bud's for you...

100_1119.jpg

STEVE (make mine Larson...oh, I already did!)

NICE Mystery Men , CM!! That is one of my fav covers... I missed winning it in the Comic Heaven auction that just ended, but I'm always on the lookout for that particular issue (anyone? anyone?).

OK! OK! - I give! <cue cut scene of RyanH twisting my arm off-line>

Ryan, this Bud's for you...

100_1119.jpg

STEVE (make mine Larson...oh, I already did!)

sign-rantpost.gif This represents exactly what I hate most about your collection. Ordinarily, I wouldn't pay attention to this book because the copies I see have been through the wringer and just don't have the appeal. Then I see your *spoon* copy and I'm drooling and must have the book! But then when I look, I can't find a copy that look likes yours! Christo_pull_hair.gif

mad.gif I hope you have a really nice day to make up for the misery you've caused me.

flowerred.gif

Ordinarily, I wouldn't pay attention to this book because the copies I see have been through the wringer and just don't have the appeal. Then I see your *spoon* copy and I'm drooling and must have the book! But then when I look, I can't find a copy that look likes yours! Christo_pull_hair.gif

27_laughing.gif

It's totally true. When I look at the HG/pedigreed Fox books in this thread, weighed against the Fox books that I collect...it's literally like we're collecting different things entirely.

Funny to think that they all started out from the same place...

Michelle Nolan has an article on Fox comics in the latest CGC eNewsletter.

"Ironically, as bad as Fox often was, that notorious company reached a collectible peak with its 11 issues of Matt Baker’s Phantom Lady, #13 (Aug. 1947) through #23 (April 1949). Fortunately, most of those stories – along with the Phantom Lady stories in All Top #8 (Nov. 1947) through #17 (May 1949) – have been reprinted (a special thank you to AC Comics!). It’s hard to believe that the same company that produced the monumentally ugly issues of Blue Beetle in 1946 came up with Phantom Lady in 1947.

These issues with Phantom Lady cost a fortune. My guess is that if you offered them at a somewhat affordable price point – say $30 – you could sell more copies of Phantom Lady than almost any other “Atom Age” comic book. These comics are so legendary that if you had stacks of 1,000 copies of each of the 11 issues, you could probably sell them all at the same convention for $30 each, even though it would be obvious there would no longer be a scarcity factor involved. People just love these issues, but few can afford them."

article2_c_sm.jpg

Just received these via FedEx today...

The first one is going out to PointFive, who started the thread. A MYSTERY MEN #1, extensive pro restoration, but nice eye appeal, and the only way I would be able to afford this book (in decent condition anyways)! cloud9.gif

I have always loved the cover... and being a key #1 issue, I couldn't resist. I took a chance on the fact it was restored (it was slabbed until about ten minutes ago)... maybe I should post it in the "Favorite Restored Book" thread as well. To me, I'm just happy I own the book, and hopefully I didn't pay too much for it (its an app. 5.0 ext. resto)... paper quality is really nice... anyways, it's mine now!!

(PointFive: no snide remarks from you about my golden age addiction!! You know I need professional help!) 893naughty-thumb.gif

1459579-mystmen1POST.jpg

1459579-mystmen1POST.jpg.dc24a4f8b412af9b4b913716a93f08b3.jpg

Edited by RyanH

... and this #2 is going out to CentaurMan, who has posted some really amazing GA sci-covers in the last 24 hours. I think this is one of the best, and a robot cover to boot!! Its a low grade copy, but no restoration, and is solid.

cloud9.gifcloud9.gif

With #1 and 2 under my belt, I would love to start picking away at a MYSTERY MEN run of issues #1 to 12... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How do I stop myself?????

1459590-mystmen2POST.jpg

1459590-mystmen2POST.jpg.ecc4b1d9e1679ee435daf6594cd2f501.jpg

Edited by RyanH

(PointFive: no snide remarks from you about my golden age addiction!! You know I need professional help!) 893naughty-thumb.gif

Fair enough, I'll wait 'til next time to nag you, Ryan. 27_laughing.gif

That's an unbelievable set of Fox beauties! Many congrats! 893applaud-thumb.gif

With #1 and 2 under my belt, I would love to start picking away at a MYSTERY MEN run of issues #1 to 12...

How do I stop myself?????

You don't. You're totally screwed. A complete goner. Welcome to the club.

Nice books!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Lou Fine is divine, but this issue (Ramona P. cover?) holds my eye...some of these later Fox books are really starting to have a lot more appeal for me.

100_1115.jpg

STEVE (Luvin' Larson)

Me too! grin.gif

sign-rantpost.gif And I blame Jon Berk!

The first one is going out to PointFive, who started the thread. A MYSTERY MEN #1, extensive pro restoration, but nice eye appeal, and the only way I would be able to afford this book (in decent condition anyways)! cloud9.gif

I have always loved the cover... and being a key #1 issue, I couldn't resist. I took a chance on the fact it was restored (it was slabbed until about ten minutes ago)... maybe I should post it in the "Favorite Restored Book" thread as well. To me, I'm just happy I own the book, and hopefully I didn't pay too much for it (its an app. 5.0 ext. resto)... paper quality is really nice... anyways, it's mine now!!

1459579-mystmen1POST.jpg

You know....don't apologize for the restoration....its a great book period...this restoration stuff is not relevant in the GA as to anything but price......."It's the book, Stupid!"

Great job, Ryan - that's what I call a Dynamic Duo!

Mystery Men 1 is simply an amazing book (Blue Beetle, Green Mask, Rex Dexter, etc.). And Mystery Men 2 is one of the classic sci-fi covers, and just as good inside.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

STEVE (Luvin' Larson)

1459579-mystmen1POST.jpg

Very well done Ryan! Beautiful book!