• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

Since I'm still in show-off mode...

100_0939.jpg

STEVE Got Larson? (si senor)

The colors on that copy are 893whatthe.gif

I used to own a high grade copy but without the bright colors and it didn't do much for me. Yours on the other hand would do just fine.

One of the hidden qualities of Lou Fine covers are the color choices. How many GA artists used pink?...Take a moment and look at the color nuances and shades of his covers...I think the color selection is another reason the Fine covers just "jump" out at you...jon

Jon, were most golden age artists responsible for the color choices for their work (ie: did they do some kind of color guides for the engravers to follow)? I've never thought about this before, but would like to know (I know this was the case in newspaper comics, at least I'm pretty sure). Some covers and stories are colored beautifully, while others literally pale in comparison.

Regardless, that WONDERWORLD cover is outstanding!

I do not know the answer, but i have two covers with tracing paper indicating the colors the artisit wanted....I do not recall pink as a choice i had seen in anything but Fine covers.....to me it was part of the package....It may have varied by company......but you gotta admit the color choices is one of the enduring qualities of these Fine covers especially at Fox .....jb

So when did the Flame go from having a flame gun to a Human Torch type character.

great perspective on the Flame #8 btw, the guys plummeting of the structure are a nice touch.

Tough end of the series Fox book...

1430713-flame8.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

As you've pointed ou,t a lot of these "end of the run" issues have colorful covers even if they don't have the artistry of Lou Fine.

I sold most of my Fox books a few years ago, and in retrospect I can't remember why. I didn't have very many, fewer than 10, and I guess I thought it wasn't going to be a set I ended up completing.

Now I'm building my want list again. Those books from GreatEscape are right up my alley, as are the later Ramona Patenude covers.

Fresh from CGC... two of my favorite Fox Lou Fine covers!

241149300_9d5921a334_b.jpg

Congrat's on both books, GE.

adamstrange picked up a lovely copy of Fan4 in San Diego this year...perhaps he will grace us by posting a scan?

Also, and it's not widely known, but Fantastic Comics 4 is the first appearance of Transparent Leg Man.

STEVE Got Larson?

Fresh from CGC... two of my favorite Fox Lou Fine covers!

241149300_9d5921a334_b.jpg

adamstrange picked up a lovely copy of Fan4 in San Diego this year...perhaps he will grace us by posting a scan?

Also, and it's not widely known, but Fantastic Comics 4 is the first appearance of Transparent Leg Man.

STEVE Got Larson?

Stevie made a funny!!

Maybe the inker/colorist just got so involved with that left headlight he lost his train of thought...?

STEVE Got Larson?

sign-funnypost.gif

One of my few Fox books. Unlike the other things I collect, in which I'm usually a staunch completionist without regard for cover quality, I'm generally quite picky about my Foxes. Here's one I like:

mysterymen10.jpg

NICE Mystery Men , CM!! That is one of my fav covers... I missed winning it in the Comic Heaven auction that just ended, but I'm always on the lookout for that particular issue (anyone? anyone?).

Great post.

NICE Mystery Men , CM!! That is one of my fav covers... I missed winning it in the Comic Heaven auction that just ended, but I'm always on the lookout for that particular issue (anyone? anyone?).

Geez Ryan, it's almost like you half expect me to post the Larson copy of Mystery Men #10!! stooges.gif

Very nice book, Win...

STEVE (make mine Larson)

One of my few Fox books. Unlike the other things I collect, in which I'm usually a staunch completionist without regard for cover quality, I'm generally quite picky about my Foxes. Here's one I like:

mysterymen10.jpg

Great post.

Amazing cover on the Mystery Men #10....and bondage, too! headbang.gif My want list just expanded by one! tonofbricks.gif

GE

mysterymen10.jpg

takeit.gif Great copy and cover.... cloud9.gif