• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,165 posts in this topic

Any identifying marks or features on Comstocks or Carson Citys?

P5, that Weird 5 is....(wait for it)... weird!

STEVE Got Larson?

Steve- absolutely are. On the back covers, there is a large cover date. I will scan and post over the weekend the two I have left. Jon

Hey Ryan...I haven't had time to sit down & enjoy it fully, but at a glance the stories look quite entertaining in that pleasingly junky Fox way. There's at least one evil talking gorilla inside....always a good sign! headbang.gif

STEVE Got Larson?

Steve- absolutely are. On the back covers, there is a large cover date. I will scan and post over the weekend the two I have left. Jon

Here is the Comstock Weird 1. On the back cover note date stamp along edge. Next book will show it better. jon 1418548-weird1com.jpg1418548-weirdback.jpg

1418548-weirdback.jpg.3a5a93a8a62a4a9e28ee222ea811dd0d.jpg

STEVE Got Larson?

I know this is a fox thread but here is another Comstock copy...it is as beautiful as it looks...

1418556-superw1.jpg

the date stamp is more noticeable here......

1418556-superwback.jpg

1418556-superwback.jpg.9b9597148bcc8ae462a1af936c73ca67.jpg

Hey Ryan...I haven't had time to sit down & enjoy it fully, but at a glance the stories look quite entertaining in that pleasingly junky Fox way. There's at least one evil talking gorilla inside....always a good sign! headbang.gif

Did you say talking gorilla?? Must ... have... it...

And to Jon B. : VERY, VERY nice SUPERWORLD #1!! Outstanding book. Love that cover. I was fortunate enough to pick up all three issues this year, of course, no where near as nice as that one. Do you have issues #2 and #3?

Back to your regularily scheduled FOX thread...

Jon

Any idea what percentage of the books had the stamp? My book is labeled Carson City by CGC and has a cover date of 1945 but has no stamp or even a faint imprint of one on either Front or back cover. I don't suppose they ever stamped the interior?

-Chris

Jon

Any idea what percentage of the books had the stamp? My book is labeled Carson City by CGC and has a cover date of 1945 but has no stamp or even a faint imprint of one on either Front or back cover. I don't suppose they ever stamped the interior?

-Chris

I do not.... all the books i had were from 1939 or 1940 and had the stamp on the back. We know that things can change. Mark Wilson might know...the only books i know were all number ones and in spectacular condition....actually Matt Nelson with his pedigree book in progress probably can answer this

jon

Since I'm still in show-off mode...

100_0939.jpg

STEVE Got Larson? (si senor)

The colors on that copy are 893whatthe.gif

I used to own a high grade copy but without the bright colors and it didn't do much for me. Yours on the other hand would do just fine.

100_0939.jpg

I used to own a high grade copy but without the bright colors and it didn't do much for me. Yours on the other hand would do just fine.

One of the hidden qualities of Lou Fine covers are the color choices. How many GA artists used pink?...Take a moment and look at the color nuances and shades of his covers...I think the color selection is another reason the Fine covers just "jump" out at you...jon

100_0939.jpg

One of the hidden qualities of Lou Fine covers are the color choices. How many GA artists used pink?...Take a moment and look at the color nuances and shades of his covers...I think the color selection is another reason the Fine covers just "jump" out at you...jon

Jon, were most golden age artists responsible for the color choices for their work (ie: did they do some kind of color guides for the engravers to follow)? I've never thought about this before, but would like to know (I know this was the case in newspaper comics, at least I'm pretty sure). Some covers and stories are colored beautifully, while others literally pale in comparison.

Regardless, that WONDERWORLD cover is outstanding!