• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

On 11/25/2022 at 2:19 PM, Electron said:

Thanks! The Heritage Fox auction is incredible. So many really tough books all in one place. It will be fun to watch the results on this run and so many others. 

Looks like everybody is still keeping their powder dry since all of the bids are still "scraping the bottom of the barrel" low right now.  :takeit:

On 11/25/2022 at 4:45 PM, lou_fine said:

Looks like everybody is still keeping their powder dry since all of the bids are still "scraping the bottom of the barrel" low right now.  :takeit:

Seems to be a lot of “dry powder” in the comic market right now. There have been some solid GA sales on the Bay recently but only for the pretty and very desirable books. People, (my self included) are being a lot more conservative in their comic buying. 

With the holidays, things historically slow down quite a bit. But add in inflation and a rather “fearful” view of the future, things seem a little slower than normal this year.

Those who want “Covid prices” on average stuff or “Promise” books had better wake up.

It won’t be forever but the comic market, like the general economy, is seeing a natural leveling off right now. 

On 11/25/2022 at 2:05 PM, Electron said:

Here's the Eagle group shot. When I started collecting the run I figured issue 4 would be the toughest, like many of the end of the run Fox super hero books, but it turned out to be the first book I found. The toughest for me to find was issue 2, which interestingly has the lowest census numbers. 

IMG_3141.jpg

Congrats! That is one TOUGH run to complete. I have never had the opportunity to obtain even one of them. Those are very nice presenting copies as well. Love to see them raw and enjoyable from cover to cover!

On 11/25/2022 at 4:45 PM, lou_fine said:

Unfortunately I wouldn’t expect that to last. I expect that auction will be on fire during live. It would be nice if it weren’t, so maybe I could pick up a few rarities but I’m not expecting that.  I think books like MM30 are gonna go bananas and just bring even MORE attention to how cool (and rare) some of these fox books are. Best of luck to those bidding. 

On 11/26/2022 at 9:54 AM, Robot Man said:

Congrats! That is one TOUGH run to complete. I have never had the opportunity to obtain even one of them. Those are very nice presenting copies as well. Love to see them raw and enjoyable from cover to cover!

Thanks RM! If a long time collector like you has that opinion, they are certainly seldom seen! I love having them raw as well, so much cool stuff inside. 

On 11/28/2022 at 4:41 PM, RedGiant said:

That’s a cool one, congrats. Doesn’t show up often. Perfect example, it’s not even in the fox auction this week. 

Thanks! It went from it's original owner location, to the buyer of the collection, to me, so it's quite uncirculated. I only have a few Fox books now, unfortunately. Looking thru this thread is like a buffet of cool, rare books! You've sure posted some great copies!

On 11/28/2022 at 4:05 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Thanks! It went from it's original owner location, to the buyer of the collection, to me, so it's quite uncirculated. I only have a few Fox books now, unfortunately. Looking thru this thread is like a buffet of cool, rare books! You've sure posted some great copies!

I was lucky to grab one of these myself recently but not nearly as nice as your copy. 

On 11/28/2022 at 5:26 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I don't have many Fox books anymore. I was excited to pick this one up a while back! 

V Comics 2.jpg

LOOK AT THAT!! The colors on that are eye popping!! TOUGH book and one of my personal favorites of all time!! Congrats on that rather uncirculated GEM!!!!

On 11/25/2022 at 5:05 PM, Electron said:

Here's the Eagle group shot. When I started collecting the run I figured issue 4 would be the toughest, like many of the end of the run Fox super hero books, but it turned out to be the first book I found. The toughest for me to find was issue 2, which interestingly has the lowest census numbers. 

IMG_3141.jpg

^^ This is AWESOME!!!! One of the coolest pics of the year for sure!! Wonderful accomplishment!!

On 11/28/2022 at 9:59 PM, RedGiant said:

I was lucky to grab one of these myself recently but not nearly as nice as your copy. 

I'd say that I owe luck a beer, as I nearly WASN'T in the right place at the right time. Luck plays such a huge part in finding cool books! Congrats on wrangling up a copy! As I understand it, these late run Fox books are some of the toughest.

On 11/29/2022 at 12:34 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

LOOK AT THAT!! The colors on that are eye popping!! TOUGH book and one of my personal favorites of all time!! Congrats on that rather uncirculated GEM!!!!

Thanks Gino! It's kinda crazy, as I had pretty much given up collecting the superhero Fox books due to rarity and cost, so I sold what I had (well, I might have a Green Mask laying around) and resigned myself to just enjoying the copies my buddies have. I guess you never know what's going to be in the next box you look thru. (shrug)

On 11/29/2022 at 6:51 AM, Frisco Larson said:

Thanks Gino! It's kinda crazy, as I had pretty much given up collecting the superhero Fox books due to rarity and cost, so I sold what I had (well, I might have a Green Mask laying around) and resigned myself to just enjoying the copies my buddies have. I guess you never know what's going to be in the next box you look thru. (shrug)

Now that’s what I call “box diving”. :roflmao:

On 11/29/2022 at 11:46 AM, Robot Man said:

resigned myself to just enjoying the copies my buddies have.

I tried this a couple times.

But they didn't understand how convenient it would be to store the books at my place and used triggering words like "burglary" and "theft".

On 11/29/2022 at 11:35 AM, Robot Man said:

Back in the day, I used to find stuff like that in “Misc Golden Age” boxes. I even found several un-noted SF collection books in boxes at WonderCon. That ship has long sailed though. Cool book, Congrats! 

Thanks, and WOW!!! I've found maybe one Frisco in the wild that wasn't called out as such but was priced high due to its condition. I HAVE found a few Friscos and Big Apple copies in friend's collections that they didn't know were pedigrees! Yeah, the days of finding rare comics for practically nothing are virtually gone. I DID find a superhero era Super-Mystery for $40 amongst a bunch of inexpensive newer books at a Half Price Books a few years ago! So, I still look. Ya never know ... (shrug)

On 11/29/2022 at 1:26 PM, adamstrange said:

I tried this a couple times.

But they didn't understand how convenient it would be to store the books at my place and used triggering words like "burglary" and "theft".

Sheesh, that's rather uncharitable of them! Maybe you guys should rotate who has the books every two days or so. (I saw a Simpsons episode once where Bart and his friends did that with a comic -- admittedly it's been awhile, but I'm pretty sure it had a happy ending.) (thumbsu