• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,455 posts in this topic

Hello everyone i am a new collector just started. I just recently bough at poor condition amazing spiderman 1. I didnt care about condition just wanted to own it cuz i reminds me of when i was a kid working in a comic book store. Anyways my question is this. One, is it worth it sending it to cgc, its gonna be rated poor that i know but is it worth it to have them professionally seal/slab whatever its called? Or should i just buy the expensive silver age boards and backs and do it myself? Second is it a big no no to pull it out and read it, im obviously worried its brittle etc, but dang i just really want to read it and transport myself back. Thanks for your input

Hello everyone i am a new collector just started. I just recently bough at poor condition amazing spiderman 1. I didnt care about condition just wanted to own it cuz i reminds me of when i was a kid working in a comic book store. Anyways my question is this. One, is it worth it sending it to cgc, its gonna be rated poor that i know but is it worth it to have them professionally seal/slab whatever its called? Or should i just buy the expensive silver age boards and backs and do it myself? Second is it a big no no to pull it out and read it, im obviously worried its brittle etc, but dang i just really want to read it and transport myself back. Thanks for your input

Welcome to the boards! Post a pic of your ASM #1. Congrats on the pickup!

I'd leave it unslabbed and enjoy it, unless you need to sell it. Absolutely I'd (carefully) read it, unless it's literally falling apart.

I will when i recieve it, its in super rough shape, i doubt itll look nice, but ill do it when i get it.

(thumbs u

If it's as rough as you describe, make sure all the pages are there too.

Hello All

New(ish) to the boards and I just came across this thread. I own a complete run of Amazing, #1 through whatever issue they are on now (I'll admit they all are starting to blend together with this 2-times a month schedule) My #1 is CGC 3.0, all of the rest are raw, mid-to high grades. I also have complete runs of Spectacular S-M, Web Of, Marvel Team Up, Spider man (1990's), as well as all of the Annuals and Giant Size issues.

It took me the better part of 30 years to complete these runs (most were bought off the rack) and I'm pretty proud of my collection!

Hello All

New(ish) to the boards and I just came across this thread. I own a complete run of Amazing, #1 through whatever issue they are on now (I'll admit they all are starting to blend together with this 2-times a month schedule) My #1 is CGC 3.0, all of the rest are raw, mid-to high grades. I also have complete runs of Spectacular S-M, Web Of, Marvel Team Up, Spider man (1990's), as well as all of the Annuals and Giant Size issues.

It took me the better part of 30 years to complete these runs (most were bought off the rack) and I'm pretty proud of my collection!

Congratulations on putting together so many great runs! I am working on a similar goal, and am down to the last few books (maybe 8 issues of ASM, a dozen or so Team-Ups) so I know how time consuming that can be.

Hello All

:headbang:

Although I've become resigned to the fact that it's unlikely that I'll ever own an Amazing Spider-man #1, I figured that a GRR was not beyond my means. The book presents well and could very well have been a VF but for one small detail (see image below). The spine and the edges are in amazing shape.

Picked this up on eBay.

kodak110309009.jpg

Awesome book, but one caveat.

kodak110309011.jpg

Recently scanned this issue, although I'm not sure I understand the "greenish" hue. It doesn't look that way in hand. Odd that. And kids, keep your comics some distance away from your art supplies when you're drawing, otherwise they are subject to ink splatters. :eek:

Spidey3.jpg