• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,437 posts in this topic

new addition to my collection:

spidey%2039_zpsmc6recft.jpg

Probably THE best ASM cover.

Romita killed it right off the bat :cloud9:

funny cause I loved Dtko so much i always wished he agreed to do this storyline before leaving. Ditko puts in his notice, doesn't have time to do the covers so we get the Romita covers and Ditko interior that would be :cloud9: for me!

Oh well i know it was this storyline that was a big part of the dealbrealer between Lee/Ditko as Ditko thought goblin should be a stranger not Harry's father. Ditko was definitely onto something "small world syndrome " has wrecked so many storylines over the years-lol just look at Lucas prequels- 3po and R2 built by darth vader and yoda good friends with chewbacca? Absurd! all too often heroes wind up with half or more of their everyday aquaintances receiving superpowers of their own or their loved ones constantly in danger from superfoes by happenstance. I always thought that was poor storytelling.

funny cause I loved Dtko so much i always wished he agreed to do this storyline before leaving. Ditko puts in his notice, doesn't have time to do the covers so we get the Romita covers and Ditko interior that would be :cloud9: for me!

Oh well i know it was this storyline that was a big part of the dealbrealer between Lee/Ditko as Ditko thought goblin should be a stranger not Harry's father. Ditko was definitely onto something "small world syndrome " has wrecked so many storylines over the years-lol just look at Lucas prequels- 3po and R2 built by darth vader and yoda good friends with chewbacca? Absurd! all too often heroes wind up with half or more of their everyday aquaintances receiving superpowers of their own or their loved ones constantly in danger from superfoes by happenstance. I always thought that was poor storytelling.

I love Ditko as well. :cloud9:

However, I believe it to be a myth that Ditko wanted the Goblin to be revealed as someone other than Norman, as someone the readers didn't even know; besides, this was already done in the Crime Master storyline.

• Ditko started sneaking Norman in as early as ASM 23 as a rich business friend of J.J.J., finally introducing him by name in ASM 37.

• Ditko made it clear the Goblin had a laboratory and a fairly nice hideout where he'd change back into his secret identity (that was hidden from the reader).

• In ASM 37 Ditko reveals Norman to be unscrupulous in his dealings with Mendel Stromm and Ditko shows it was Norman that killed Stromm (but how, since earlier in the story Spidey recognizes that the gunshot that killed Stromm came from outside a second story window; so how could Osborn possibly be that high the air?)

• In ASM 38 Norman acts even more suspicious, disguising himself to meet up with underworld figures in order to put a contract out on Spider-Man.

And then there's this - in a 2009 essay Ditko wrote for The Comics, stating:

Now digest this: I knew from Day One, from the first GG story, who the GG would be. I absolutely knew because I planted him in J. Jonah Jameson’s businessmans club, it was where JJJ and the GG could be seen together. I planted them together in other stories where the GG would not appear in costume, action.”

“I wanted JJJ’s and the GG’s lives to mix for later story drama involving more than just the two characters”

“I planted the GG’s son (same distinctive hair style) in the college issues for more dramatic involvement and storyline consequences”

“So how could there be any doubt, dispute, about who the GG had to turn out to be when unmasked?”

I love Ditko as well. :cloud9:

However, I believe it to be a myth that Ditko wanted the Goblin to be revealed as someone other than Norman, as someone the readers didn't even know; besides, this was already done in the Crime Master storyline.

• Ditko started sneaking Norman in as early as ASM 23 as a rich business friend of J.J.J., finally introducing him by name in ASM 37.

• Ditko made it clear the Goblin had a laboratory and a fairly nice hideout where he'd change back into his secret identity (that was hidden from the reader).

• In ASM 37 Ditko reveals Norman to be unscrupulous in his dealings with Mendel Stromm and Ditko shows it was Norman that killed Stromm (but how, since earlier in the story Spidey recognizes that the gunshot that killed Stromm came from outside a second story window; so how could Osborn possibly be that high the air?)

• In ASM 38 Norman acts even more suspicious, disguising himself to meet up with underworld figures in order to put a contract out on Spider-Man.

And then there's this - in a 2009 essay Ditko wrote for The Comics, stating:

Now digest this: I knew from Day One, from the first GG story, who the GG would be. I absolutely knew because I planted him in J. Jonah Jameson’s businessmans club, it was where JJJ and the GG could be seen together. I planted them together in other stories where the GG would not appear in costume, action.”

“I wanted JJJ’s and the GG’s lives to mix for later story drama involving more than just the two characters”

“I planted the GG’s son (same distinctive hair style) in the college issues for more dramatic involvement and storyline consequences”

“So how could there be any doubt, dispute, about who the GG had to turn out to be when unmasked?”

First I have heard of that. Makes me wish even more he had penciled the interiors of 39 & 40 being as it was a confrontation he had been a part of setting up for some time.

Well i guess i should be thankful for the runs he did on Spidey and Doc Strange they are respectable runs. Not quite KIrby FF lengthy but long enough that they made their mark for sure.

Hi everyone,

I just started collecting Spidey, and this is the first ASM comic I bought. I wanted to share it with you. :)

I love the cover and the art in it.

IMG_4835_zpsysk395oc.jpg

IMG_4836_zpsayywwkoi.jpg

The first page looks absolutely gorgeous

IMG_4837_zps7v4ekznc.jpg

This panel made me laugh so hard

IMG_4839_zpsat4b5p9a.jpg

Spidey has become my favorite character with Daredevil. I hope to build a nice run soon :)

Edited by Enrico R.

First I have heard of that. Makes me wish even more he had penciled the interiors of 39 & 40 being as it was a confrontation he had been a part of setting up for some time.

Well i guess i should be thankful for the runs he did on Spidey and Doc Strange they are respectable runs. Not quite KIrby FF lengthy but long enough that they made their mark for sure.

Yeah, it was great having Ditko at marvel for as long as it lasted. A little longer would have been nice.

By all accounts Ditko was plotting ASM by his lonesome fairly early on and eventually received plotting credit. Ditko would drop off the pages at the Bullpen without talking to Stan, and (according to some) they disagreed a lot on the storytelling.

As the rift grew Stan had problems deciphering Steve's loosely pencilled pages.

In ASM 36, the Looter story, Stan misinterpreted Steve's pencils and had the word balloons lettered to denote that it was Spidey in a particular panel. When Stan got the finished inks back from Ditko, Ditko had inked the Looter in that panel and the text made no sense. Stan needed to have the figure redrawn in-house. Check out ASM 36, you can see the panel where the figure definitely wasn't drawn by Steve.

There was a mix up in ASM 30 with the Cat storyline as well; where some henchmen were stated to be working for the Cat when actually they were the Master Planner's gang - as foreshadowing to the coming Master Planner story arc.

I believe Steve felt he should have gotten credit for writing along with plotting ( and possibly the paycheck as well).

Perhaps if the credits read: Art, plotting & writing by Steve Ditko, Dialogue by Stan Lee , we may have seen Ditko stay at Marvel a bit longer. But maybe not.

purdy! love me some spidey 5.

spidey 5 is the first single digit spidey i ever owned. Got a VG or maybe VG/FN at a con for $200 in seattle back in 1999. It's one of my favorite all - time spidey stories. Always stuck with me that the dealer said how he loved the way Ditko drew all the machines. Its a great book on so many levels.