• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,453 posts in this topic

On 11/27/2023 at 4:53 AM, Webhead2018 said:

What that circle thing above the issue notes?

Oregon Coast Collection.   Here is a little info.  At one point I read who brought the collection to market but I can’t find it now.    The Heritage Auction referenced below was 2021 and included the record setting Marvel Spotlight #5 in 9.8 that went for $264k

THE OREGON COAST COLLECTION – The year was 1969, and the United States of America had just gone through one of the most traumatic years in its history. Americans turned their eyes towards outer space and watched man setting foot on the moon for the first time on July 16, 1969. This same era brought a wave of creativity and new characters, as Stan Lee and the gang at Marvel Comics introduced The Punisher, Blade, Ghost Rider, and Wolverine; killed off established characters like Gwen Stacy and gave supporting heroes like Silver Surfer their own title. Not to be outdone, Denny O’Neil and Neal Adams teamed up to introduce Ra’s al Ghul in Batman #232 in June of 1971,

During this time, from 1969 to 1975, a collection of nearly every issue (and in some cases multiple copies) was being sealed away in the perfect conditions of the Oregon coast. About 50 years later, Oregon Coast Collection examples of many late Silver Age and early Bronze Age keys will be unveiled starting with Heritage Auctions’ June 17-19th Signature Auction. Check it out!

FOUND INFO ON WHO BROUGHT BOOKS TO MARKET 

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/48610/first-appearance-ghost-rider-sells-for-264-000-heritage-auctions

This book came from the Oregon Coast Collection, which is an exclusive label of TRL Comics, an online collectibles company owned by comics restorer Susan Cicconi and Orrin Zucker. The lot of books originates from a long-time collector in Oregon who was looking to retire. He contacted Cicconi through an ad for her restoration services about his books, and later partnered with her company to manage the sale of the collection.

Most of the books in the Oregon Coast Collection were bought decades ago in new condition, well-preserved, and have not been restored. This collection included other Bronze Age gems, all in CGC 9.8 grades, that were up for sale in this auction: The Silver Surfer #4 (closed at $90,000), The Incredible Hulk #180 (closed at $40,800), and The Amazing Spider-Man #129 (closed at $40,800).

Edited by DC#

On 11/27/2023 at 5:48 PM, FoggyNelson said:

Nice display 👍‼️🥰

Thanks!  I have a few hundred statues, one case is all Spidey - that's the top shelf.  ;)  You can see a bit of what's below.  

I actually have to pair down the collection a bit.  I've got some Bowen MB's and FS statues that haven't seen the light of day for a while - no room!  :cry:

On 11/30/2023 at 4:11 PM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

Are these your own raw books you are slabbing? 

Yes, all my own copies.  A few of them I bought graded though.  Off hand:  1, 3, 5, 8, 15, 23 were graded.  Only the #7 came back with an issue - 6.0 OW, but trimmed!  :(  It's still pretty, but I'd like to upgrade.  I also bought a #16 CGC 6.0 as an upgrade and I still have my raw copy.  I'd like to move that one and help pay for a new #7!  

I think the next batch will have my #31 and at least 1 other Ditko book.  But I'd like to add in my 41, 42, 43, 50, 100-102, 121 & 122 as well so I'll pick and choose which ones make the next cut.  I've got a stack of LB Cole covers that need grading too!  

Thanks for asking!  

On 11/30/2023 at 3:28 PM, pmpknface said:

Yes, all my own copies.  A few of them I bought graded though.  Off hand:  1, 3, 5, 8, 15, 23 were graded.  Only the #7 came back with an issue - 6.0 OW, but trimmed!  :(  It's still pretty, but I'd like to upgrade.  I also bought a #16 CGC 6.0 as an upgrade and I still have my raw copy.  I'd like to move that one and help pay for a new #7!  

I think the next batch will have my #31 and at least 1 other Ditko book.  But I'd like to add in my 41, 42, 43, 50, 100-102, 121 & 122 as well so I'll pick and choose which ones make the next cut.  I've got a stack of LB Cole covers that need grading too!  

Thanks for asking!  

I love this! That's why I asked: whenever I see a relatively low grade in a book that's not all that pricey (Like ASM 22) I assume there's a story behind it, such as it's your own book you slabbed! 

I had the same problem with some of my old raw books: 7 came back a 3.0, 13 came back a 4.0(!) but my issue 9 came back PLOD. Odd thing, I always thought it was trimmed, instead it was color touch.

How is turnaround time going for you? Mine ended up going much better than advertised, 6 months rather than a year.

The issue 13 was a particular favorite as it came out of a... drum roll please... DOLLAR Box.  (Ok, in 1982, but still, a dollar box.)

I look forward to seeing you march toward getting 1-100! I'm on the same trek.

Edited by DoctorWyoming1

On 11/30/2023 at 4:34 PM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

I love this! That's why I asked: whenever I see a relatively low grade in a book that's not all that pricey (Like ASM 22) I assume there's a story behind it, such as it's your own book you slabbed! 

I had the same problem with some of my old raw books: 7 came back a 3.0, 13 came back a 4.0(!) but my issue 9 came back PLOD. Odd thing, I always thought it was trimmed, instead it was color touch.

How is turnaround time going for you? Mine ended up going much better than advertised, 6 months rather than a year.

The issue 13 was a particular favorite as it came out of a... drum roll please... DOLLAR Box.  (Ok, in 1982, but still, a dollar box.)

I look forward to seeing you march toward getting 1-100! I'm on the same trek.

Yea, I started really trying to complete my run before CGC was a thing so I have mostly unslabbed books.  By the time I got down to the single issues though I was in the CGC era and wanted a graded copy.  The others just popped up here and there so I'd often grab them.  My Annual 1 was bought graded too.  

I have issues with the color touching.  I've gotten a bunch of books back that are touched up (that THAT many, but enough where it annoys me) and maybe they really are, but I'm skeptical.  I can't argue with a trim-job though!  

When I send my books in I was using the fast track option, so it was pretty quick.  I think it was 2-3 weeks, something like that.  It took a few days to show up on-line but I had them back fast.  Although for some reason 5 of my GA books came back a week or so later in it's own shipment (and this was a submission with -mostly GA, some SA and some modern books).  

Congrats on the 13!  Hey, you got more than you paid for!  Most of the raw books I have I got from ebay, with the occasional one from a dealer.  I had my #13 pre-graded at a 4.5 and it came back a 5.  As best as I can tell I paid $150 for it.  As far as deals go, and keep in mind that I completed my run in like 2002, was my graded #3 (6.0) and Annual #1 (7.0).  I got both for like $850.  I also got a bunch for free, but that's another story.....

And is somewhat related news...  I hit my LCS today and got all the latest issues so the run is still in tact!  :whee:

(If you'd like to see my run, click on the registry link below)  :shy: