• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,453 posts in this topic

On 3/9/2024 at 3:59 PM, pmpknface said:

ASM #43 - I thought this could get a 6.0, but it fell just short.  Not bad for the 1st full MJ!  I'm pretty sure it cost me $10 at a LCS as a wall book. 

GetImage.aspx?c=5940786&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=My85LzIwMjQgNDo0NTo1NCBQTQ%3d%3d

ASM #50 - A biggie!  I shopped around a lot for this one back when (25-30 years ago?).  I thought it may have an outside shot at a 6.0, but again no dice.  I've never pressed any of my books, but I have a feeling that if I had this would have gotten a nice bump.  A really sharp copy that I'm quite proud of!

GetImage.aspx?c=5940787&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

rare to see a book look sooo undergraded; i get it's just a front cover look, but dayum!

On 3/10/2024 at 9:50 AM, Straw-Man said:

rare to see a book look sooo undergraded; i get it's just a front cover look, but dayum!

Thanks man.  What's a brother gotta do to get a 6.0?!?!  Here were the notes:

#43:

tanning interior cover
small, multiple crease bottom of front cover breaks color

#50:

crease right center of front cover breaks color
spine stress lines breaks color
staple tear
creasing to cover
finger bends on cover

On 3/9/2024 at 10:06 PM, pmpknface said:

One more for the road!  I know this is a borderline issue, but I'm never 100% sure where the SA ends and the BA starts.  I thought it was a bit later with #121 or #129, but maybe it's right here.  Here we go...

ASM #101 - A really sharp copy I'm THRILLED about!  I bought this one at a con I traveled to in White Plains, NY when I was in college.  I'm pretty sure I got a nice run between 101 and maybe 110 from the same dealer that all looked to be in from the same collection and all were very nice.  I was trying not to over-grade it at a 7.5, but really thought an 8.0 / WP was possible.  I'll take this!  

GetImage.aspx?c=5940797&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=

I'd say the SA stopped at number 74, the last 12c issue of July 1969.

On 3/11/2024 at 2:18 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

I'd say the SA stopped at number 74, the last 12c issue of July 1969.

It’s really an interesting question.   Issue 80 was published Jan 1970 which is typically considered first Bronze year.    I may be cheating but I like to think all ASM are Silver up to the switch to the picture frame covers with #102.    I just can’t make myself think that the iconic vertical price box and art for the 12c and 15c issues are anything other than Silver 

On 3/12/2024 at 1:17 PM, DC# said:

It’s really an interesting question.   Issue 80 was published Jan 1970 which is typically considered first Bronze year.    I may be cheating but I like to think all ASM are Silver up to the switch to the picture frame covers with #102.    I just can’t make myself think that the iconic vertical price box and art for the 12c and 15c issues are anything other than Silver 

This is often debated with various reference sources being quoted to back up one person's view or another's. Personally I can't help feeling that with the price increase to 15c we entered Bronze territory. Think of Conan the Barbarian #1, now that's a Bronze book (to my mind,) if ever there was one! 

On 3/12/2024 at 9:32 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

This is often debated with various reference sources being quoted to back up one person's view or another's. Personally I can't help feeling that with the price increase to 15c we entered Bronze territory. Think of Conan the Barbarian #1, now that's a Bronze book (to my mind,) if ever there was one! 

Good point.   I think that book was Oct 1970.     Probably won't get kicked out of either forum if you were to call any books in that 18 month window from mid-69 to early 1971 as one or the other.   

On 3/12/2024 at 12:44 PM, DC# said:

Good point.   I think that book was Oct 1970.     Probably won't get kicked out of either forum if you were to call any books in that 18 month window from mid-69 to early 1971 as one or the other.   

I think this is a decent way to look at it, and everyone has their own opinion.  You are correct, Conan was 10/70 and it's a book many people think of as the 1st copper book. 

My personal opinion is a bit different than most.  I can say that Conan was likely the 1st copper Marvel book at least, but here's how I look at it...  it's kind of like this little color scale:

image.png.f2058ffdf40ced2c1ae47c0ead057b0e.png

It can go from 1 end being the silver age to to the other being copper, but it doesn't happen all at once.  Sure, Conan happened but then Spidey transitioned a bit later (I'm actually leaning towards ASM #101 now that I'm thinking about it) but some DC books could have been slightly after that.  But given a few years time span we're all eventually there.  Even Giant Sized X-Men didn't show up until 1975, so we didn't have a real X-book in the BA for a few years.  So it gets fuzzy.  

This is kinda how I look at the transition between all of the "ages" in comics.  

In any case, I didn't mean to derail this too much.  Someone post a new book!  :foryou:

On 3/19/2024 at 11:18 AM, Lee Enterprises said:

Does anyone have an accurate list of the order of Amazing Spider-Man appearances in Marvel Comics starting at AF #15, ASM #1, ASM 2, etc.? I tend to find conflicting lists online. 

https://www.chronologyproject.com/spidey.php

It's your go-to site for any chronological order for any character.  Just use the key to figure out the abbreviations for any title.  You can find it on the main pages or you'll actually see a pic of a key as well.  

If you're looking for appearances as they were published that's something else, but it doesn't get difficult for a few decades in.