• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,750 posts in this topic

You can post that #8 as often as you like, Claudio! I never tire of it!

As for my FF run, it took from 1988 to 1991. It seemed to be endless! When I started, I never imagined I'd ever finish it. Looking at those dates, I can't believe it only took 3 plus years!

I completed the run by purchasing a rough #1. I went to the KC con with my then roommate and comic mentor. He's an FF collector, too. Long story short, we both finished our runs that day, and we're both still complete!

.... Claudio..... what was the motivation for getting # 8 signed ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... Claudio..... what was the motivation for getting # 8 signed ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

#8 stood out as one of my favorite early stories, as – I have probably already said it elsewhere – the very first contact with the early Lee/Kirby FF for me happened with a collected edition (in italian) which had three issues covering FF #1-8 (64 pages each, three magazines). The cover that struck me the most was the one of issue #3, which featured the cover of #8 – so I pestered my dad to have it. lol

And of course when I read the story I loved the conflict within Alicia's soul.

In the same vein, like KirbyJack, when I was able to read more it was (I believe for Christmas) probably in 1978, when my dad bought me a bound volume and it included #30 and Annual #6, which remains among my favorites… The nostalgic element is not at the forefront, as they obviously made a fine choice because they are great stories.

Billy, these Annuals in such a nice shape make me cry… especially Annual #3… :cloud9:

Here’s what I saw first, and I started to wonder who the "Burattinaio" ("Puppet Master") was – you gotta admit the green sinister light adds to the drama of the cover… lol

P.S. Last december I bought a full run of this title where I originally read a lot of Lee/Kirby FF stories (including the "Him" ones). It covers FF up to issue #83 or so… then it ceased its publication.

CR9beI4h.jpg

As for my FF run, it took from 1988 to 1991. It seemed to be endless! When I started, I never imagined I'd ever finish it. Looking at those dates, I can't believe it only took 3 plus years!

I completed the run by purchasing a rough #1. I went to the KC con with my then roommate and comic mentor. He's an FF collector, too. Long story short, we both finished our runs that day, and we're both still complete!

:applause:

The Lee/Kirby run should only ever be collected as a run. If all you're doing is picking the 5, 45, 48, 52, 65, then you have no real appreciation for the work.

I wish more collectors felt that way!

I get why people focus on keys. But if you consider yourself someone who knows comics, you need to at least read the Kirby issues.

All or nothing bro!!!! Key collectors are "Comic investors" Missing the whole point of the hobby. :cry:

That's how I did it. I remember buying Strange Tales #130, and knowing that I was now committed to the entire run!

I have raised the white flag on the Atlas issues and sold off all I had, but I'm solid on 67 to the end. I'll understand if you hate me now!

I also have 67 up. I have dreams of completing 1-66. But it's a long shot. The Atlas stuff is so expensive that I completely understand why you did that.