• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,751 posts in this topic

#16 and #24 have also been among the first ones I purchased (I loved #24!) – and for a long time #16 was the lowest numbered in my collection as well. :)

I've always loved the cover of #24, so spacey and crazy. It took me a while to finally get one at a price I was willing to pay.

I remember fondly those days when getting my hands on a FF in the teens or 20s was a celebration! So old and SOOO cool!

I bought a #17 recently but sadly had to return it. The pictures on the listing were very deceiving. It was by far the brownest comic I've ever seen. Ugh!

I have a single digit Avengers & X-Men but I think it's going to be a long time before I land a really early FF. :(

Hang in there!

I completed Fantastic Four 25 years ago, but I really envy you your journey. I enjoyed assembling FF more than anything else I've done in the hobby.

Agreed. I only have 6 books left to get in my run from 1-145, and the delight in the covers, characters, and stories in this series is second to none for me.

#16 and #24 have also been among the first ones I purchased (I loved #24!) – and for a long time #16 was the lowest numbered in my collection as well. :)

I've always loved the cover of #24, so spacey and crazy. It took me a while to finally get one at a price I was willing to pay.

You can only imagine how dreamy it was when, as an italian collector without much income, I first got an issue under #20. I think I stared at my #16 for years… That and the #8 which I purchased for $60 when I visited Los Angeles. And had it signed by Jack Kirby in his own home! :cloud9: – Still unbelievable, but it happened.

I remember fondly those days when getting my hands on a FF in the teens or 20s was a celebration! So old and SOOO cool!

30 was the first one i got off a spinner, and i was only able to get about 5 earlier back issues as a kid. i think 22 was the earliest book in my collection as a boy.

30 was the first one i got off a spinner, and i was only able to get about 5 earlier back issues as a kid. i think 22 was the earliest book in my collection as a boy.

Awesome! I have read #30 when I was about nine, in a great book compiling early Lee/Kirby classics (including #1 and Annual #6) and of course loved the poignancy of that story: Diablo’s temptation for the Thing was a really bad and subtle move…

Hang in there!

I completed Fantastic Four 25 years ago, but I really envy you your journey. I enjoyed assembling FF more than anything else I've done in the hobby.

Hang in there!

Agreed. I only have 6 books left to get in my run from 1-145, and the delight in the covers, characters, and stories in this series is second to none for me.

Thanks to both of you for your encouragement, it's appreciated. Can I ask how long it took to complete (or nearly) your Silver Age run?

You can only imagine how dreamy it was when, as an italian collector without much income, I first got an issue under #20. I think I stared at my #16 for years… That and the #8 which I purchased for $60 when I visited Los Angeles. And had it signed by Jack Kirby in his own home! :cloud9: – Still unbelievable, but it happened.

That's incredible, an #8 for $60 and signed by Kirby himself! Well done! :headbang:

Edited by Harry Lime

Hang in there!

Hang in there!

Thanks to both of you for your encouragement, it's appreciated. Can I ask how long it took to complete (or nearly) your Silver Age run?

Roughly 7 years, just picking up a couple at a time. If you're selective about what you want before you get too far into it, and make an effort only to buy books that are going to be keepers, you won't have to backtrack and upgrade books you're not crazy about.

You can post that #8 as often as you like, Claudio! I never tire of it!

As for my FF run, it took from 1988 to 1991. It seemed to be endless! When I started, I never imagined I'd ever finish it. Looking at those dates, I can't believe it only took 3 plus years!

I completed the run by purchasing a rough #1. I went to the KC con with my then roommate and comic mentor. He's an FF collector, too. Long story short, we both finished our runs that day, and we're both still complete!