• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,748 posts in this topic

That's how I did it. I remember buying Strange Tales #130, and knowing that I was now committed to the entire run!

I have raised the white flag on the Atlas issues and sold off all I had, but I'm solid on 67 to the end. I'll understand if you hate me now!

I officially hate you. YOU drove me to search Strange Tales on EBay.....just won #4 and 16 both in CGG 5.0, and my wife is NOT happy!!!! All your fault!!! :tonofbricks:

Well, congrats anyway!

I'll just live vicariously thru your completeness, so get on it, Bro!

No shot. Just chipping away at a boulder. Straw man is much cooler then me! But thanks for making me search it! The 16 with the decapatation cover is EPIC!!!!

I wish more collectors felt that way!

I get why people focus on keys. But if you consider yourself someone who knows comics, you need to at least read the Kirby issues.

I do the opposite. I collect everything but the keys because I can't afford the damn things.

I hate that the movies are making the keys multiply.

thanks, buddy. i'm slowly upgrading anything #10 and up that i have below 9.0 to said level, if affordable [these days, that means 35, 45 and 52 are good as-is]. b/w 6-9, i'm going to try to get to 8.0 and above. my 1-5 books are ok, except i'd like to upgrade the 4.

I wish more collectors felt that way!

I get why people focus on keys. But if you consider yourself someone who knows comics, you need to at least read the Kirby issues.

I do the opposite. I collect everything but the keys because I can't afford the damn things.

I hate that the movies are making the keys multiply.

I used not to pay much attention to the so-called "keys" when I started. In fact, I went for my favorite issues, and when they happened to be "keys" I was annoyed because they were excessively costly. So, for example, I picked a #36 but skipped the #48 and only bought lowgrade copies of #49 and #50.

Since when I restarted, obviously this "key frenzy" which is mostly artificially driven by hollow speculation bubbles has influenced me, but I always try to go for the issues I consider more meaningful, or that are considered best stories and/or more importants when I am not a "completist" (like I am with FF, Defenders and Dr. Strange).

That’s what I do with most of the other Marvel titles, anyway. I have little to nothing of Atlas, but recently picked a Black Knight #1 (sorry, *Bronze_age_fan*… :sorry: ).

Right, it’s probably the inker (George Roussos/Bell?) – it’s an odd way to ink Ben, I usually prefer Sinnott or Chic Stone

The Thing is very hard to ink. I know what I want to do, but it rarely looks the way I want it to.

I can make the fingers look right, but that's the only consistent part.