• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,717 posts in this topic

Steve, if you get a chance pick up copies of FF#57 to #60. Wonderful Doom /Surfer story. Bought those books off the newstand back in 1966. Lee and Kirby were at there peak then. My favorite Doom story in the Silver Age. Btw ,I did upgrade my copies years ago. My originals were pretty beat up. :grin:

Steve, if you get a chance pick up copies of FF#57 to #60. Wonderful Doom /Surfer story.

Thanks Ray, I'll do that - just checked, and I have 57 already.

The Doom/Surfer stories are some of the most interesting to me.

Steve, if you get a chance pick up copies of FF#57 to #60. Wonderful Doom /Surfer story.

Thanks Ray, I'll do that - just checked, and I have 57 already.

The Doom/Surfer stories are some of the most interesting to me.

They are. It was a great, not predictable storyline. I just expressed a preference, but probably the Surfer-powered Doom is a greater story told in the span of a few issues. I am sure I have at least one issue in "indecent" grade… lol

Anyone have any opinions on FF 23 (I have a chance to pick up a killer copy but not sure about this particular issue)?

It's an early Doom with the best cover, imo and a killer copy. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. I'm missing this title, I would be happy with a low mid-grade copy.

For the best cover, however, I’d vote #16 before #23… :cloud9:

Anyone have any opinions on FF 23 (I have a chance to pick up a killer copy but not sure about this particular issue)?

It's an early Doom with the best cover, imo and a killer copy. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. I'm missing this title, I would be happy with a low mid-grade copy.

Sounds like a fun poll! I'll nominate 57-60..."Doomsday!"

I haven't read them all yet, working on it but decided to read my books in chronological order so currently on earlyish Spideys and JIM's until I catch up with the FF's I've already read. But I was really surprised at how good the #38-40 were. I wasn't expecting a lot with them having lost their powers but man those issues and Mr Grimm in particular rocked!

Very true! It's really easy to say that the Fantastic Four got great at #44, due to Joe Sinnott taking the inks to a new level. But the Thing/Doom hand to hand in #40 is a defining moment for The Thing (he became the clear star of the team after that) and for the title in general. One of the very best!

Sounds like a fun poll! I'll nominate 57-60..."Doomsday!"

I haven't read them all yet, working on it but decided to read my books in chronological order so currently on earlyish Spideys and JIM's until I catch up with the FF's I've already read. But I was really surprised at how good the #38-40 were. I wasn't expecting a lot with them having lost their powers but man those issues and Mr Grimm in particular rocked!

Those are great issues. Losing their powers made the team reach heroic levels to survive. FF39 has one of my favorite all time covers and is a great read. IMHO FF38 to FF60 is the greatest run in comics.

Steve, if you get a chance pick up copies of FF#57 to #60. Wonderful Doom /Surfer story. Bought those books off the newstand back in 1966. Lee and Kirby were at there peak then. My favorite Doom story in the Silver Age. Btw ,I did upgrade my copies years ago. My originals were pretty beat up. :grin:

Agreed, Doom stealing the Surfer's powers :cloud9:

For the best cover, however, I’d vote #16 before #23… :cloud9:

I give 16 the edge over 23 as well (b/c of the red). 23 is a great cover though. Don't have a pic of mine.

57 is still my favorite Doom cover.

Yes. Never can go wrong adding a Doom cover to a collection.

Sounds like we need a poll! Three votes each, hope I've set it up correctly. :whistle:

I pasted together the relevant covers for reference, again, hope it's not too large for the forums.

doomcompy_zps5oty0d5j.jpg

Edited by Harry Lime