• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers collecting thread!
11 11

1,731 posts in this topic

Scan10393.jpg[/img]

This is one of the highlights of my collection. The Winnipeg copy of Avengers # 5 graded at VF+ although I'm not sure what stopped it from grading higher, maybe an internal defect. (shrug)

Cool books Drew, your # 4 looks to have a whiter cover than mine (worship) and I can't see any reason from the scan that the # 50 didn't grade higher (shrug) . Did you get the graders notes?

Haven't called for the notes yet. I think I'll do it tomorrow. It was just graded on Tuesday morning!

Scan10393.jpg[/img]

This is one of the highlights of my collection. The Winnipeg copy of Avengers # 5 graded at VF+ although I'm not sure what stopped it from grading higher, maybe an internal defect. (shrug)

Fantastic copy!

Speaking of date stamps, my copy of #5 (VF-) has a date stamp in the white part of the burst above the word "INVASION".

Cool books Drew, your # 4 looks to have a whiter cover than mine (worship) and I can't see any reason from the scan that the # 50 didn't grade higher (shrug) . Did you get the graders notes?

Avengers 50 Graders' Notes:

• a few minor spine stress lines that don't break color

• light abrasion in lower right corner, front cover

• light crease in lower left, front cover that barely breaks color (see Herc's leg)

• light soiling and a few finger smudges on back cover

Given these notes, I can see why it got a 9.0 -- although the soiling on the back cover is REALLY light (I wouldn't call it "soiling"), and I don't see any finger smudges at all.

Avengers 50 Graders' Notes:

• a few minor spine stress lines that don't break color

• light abrasion in lower right corner, front cover

• light crease in lower left, front cover that barely breaks color (see Herc's leg)

• light soiling and a few finger smudges on back cover

Given these notes, I can see why it got a 9.0 -- although the soiling on the back cover is REALLY light (I wouldn't call it "soiling"), and I don't see any finger smudges at all.

Yeah, from that description it sounds like a VF/NM. Looks nice from the scan though. A 9.0 is a nice book in my opinion so if you decide to sell, let me know. (thumbs u

Scan10396.jpg[/img]

And finally my # 2 graded at FN/VF.

BTW, kudos to NoChips from who, I got the Winnipeg # 5.

Nice Book Great Story!

Thanks mate. Yeah, it's a great story for it's time. Probably the first time in comic history that a Super Hero team changed it's line-up in their second appearance.

Probably the first time in comic history that a Super Hero team changed it's line-up in their second appearance.

I've been rereading the Avengers from the beginning - for the first time in, oh, 30 years (!?) - and it amazes me how quickly and thoroughly they changed the membership, yet they still retained a loyal readership. Hulk gone, Cap in, then everyone EXCEPT Cap gone and Hawkeye/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch in, then Giant Man/Goliath back, Cap gone again... What a revolving door.

The other thing I've noticed (which I didn't really pay attention to when I was much younger) is how in Stan Lee's scripts, every one of his male characters talks with the same groovy vernacular, whether it's Captain America or the Hulk. He wasn't the greatest at dialog, was he?

A 9.0 is a nice book in my opinion so if you decide to sell, let me know. (thumbs u

I'll let you know. I'm sure I'll upgrade it eventually, but my first priority is filling the MANY holes in my 1-100 set. I've got 35 in the CGC registry, and another 20 or so coming back from CGC in the next week, which I'll also add to my registry. So I'm just over half way home!

Probably the first time in comic history that a Super Hero team changed it's line-up in their second appearance.

I've been rereading the Avengers from the beginning - for the first time in, oh, 30 years (!?) - and it amazes me how quickly and thoroughly they changed the membership, yet they still retained a loyal readership. Hulk gone, Cap in, then everyone EXCEPT Cap gone and Hawkeye/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch in, then Giant Man/Goliath back, Cap gone again... What a revolving door.

The other thing I've noticed (which I didn't really pay attention to when I was much younger) is how in Stan Lee's scripts, every one of his male characters talks with the same groovy vernacular, whether it's Captain America or the Hulk. He wasn't the greatest at dialog, was he?

Everyone has their flaws. Kirby drew jaw lines too square. Stan was a big picture guy. Roy Thomas was very good at dialog and underrated.

Scan10391.jpg[/img]

And another 9.2 from Mike S. :banana:

:applause: Geesh, I kind of miss them - glad they are in a new home where they'll be appreciated! I needed to sell some stuff for other purchases, so guess it was worth it. They are nice books, if I don't say so myself.....

Everyone has their flaws. Kirby drew jaw lines too square. Stan was a big picture guy. Roy Thomas was very good at dialog and underrated.

Roy Thomas was brilliant! My favourite. His Avengers run was when the title really hit its stride, as far as I'm concerned. As a teenager, when Avengers 57 first came out, I thought it was so incredibly literary. Of course, in hindsight, it WAS literary, what with Shelley's "Ozymandias" at the end. But I didn't know Shelley from a hole in the ground at the time.

:applause: Geesh, I kind of miss them - glad they are in a new home where they'll be appreciated! I needed to sell some stuff for other purchases, so guess it was worth it. They are nice books, if I don't say so myself.....

They will be properly looked after and worshipped regularly, Mike. I plan on hanging on to them for a long time. (thumbs u

I'm about to start rereading the early Avengers myself. I agree that it's surprising that the book stayed popular with a fast changing line up and style. If you go through the series in 20 issue leaps, the "feel" of the book has changed significantly with the line-up. I think that kept it feeling fresh and exciting, compared to such "static" teams as the FF & X Men.

Wish I could embed the Jeffersons theme here...

"MOVIN' ON UP!..."

It probably won't be reflected in my signature banner (below) for another day, but I just entered some mid-grade issues into my Avengers registry, and I jumped up from #15 to #13 on the list!

(thumbs u

I'm gunning for flaming_telepath next! I'm coming after you, Nick! (Although it's a BIG leap up to your status... it'll take me awhile!)

Wish I could embed the Jeffersons theme here...

"MOVIN' ON UP!..."

It probably won't be reflected in my signature banner (below) for another day, but I just entered some mid-grade issues into my Avengers registry, and I jumped up from #15 to #13 on the list!

(thumbs u

I'm gunning for flaming_telepath next! I'm coming after you, Nick! (Although it's a BIG leap up to your status... it'll take me awhile!)

C'mon, one little Avengers 1 CGC 9.4 will move you up five or six spots - ten thousand points - BAM!