• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
15 15

3,120 posts in this topic

Does Daredevil #7 create the softest 9.4s in the hobby? The Western Penn is a soft 9.4 and the book Doug has listed doesn't look much better.

I won't argue that the Twin Cities should be a 9.4, but if you laid the three of them out side by side, the Twin Cities would stand out.

:facepalm:

Yes, I would say so.

From the ones I've seen clear scans of or actually got to see or hold.

That cover with its different shades/hues of blues and purple is brutal on any breaks in the cover. Spine tics are especially so magnified and pronounced against it. Like fricken beacons!!

The Twin Cities does look like a very strong 9.2. I wonder what the grader's notes state why it was held down.

One of the prettiest (best presenting) 9.4s I've seen is Rube's.

I don't know if he still owns it or had to end up selling it.

I've never seen it in person, but unless the scan was magical....it is a very, very nice looking 9.4. Personally I think one of the best out there.

Roy had (brought to market) the only other 9.4 imho that was as pretty if not more so than Rube's. (One of his many) It was so purdy!! I had to pass on it at the time - don't know who owns it now, but it presented like a bute!!

Does Daredevil #7 create the softest 9.4s in the hobby? The Western Penn is a soft 9.4 and the book Doug has listed doesn't look much better.

I won't argue that the Twin Cities should be a 9.4, but if you laid the three of them out side by side, the Twin Cities would stand out.

Yes, I would say so.

That cover with its different shades/hues of blues and purple is brutal on any breaks in the cover. Spine tics are especially so magnified and pronounced against it. Like fricken beacons!!

The Twin Cities does look like a very strong 9.2. I wonder what the grader's notes state why it was held down.

I've never seen it in person, but unless the scan was magical....it is a very, very nice looking 9.4. Personally I think one of the best out there.

Roy had (brought to market) the only other 9.4 imho that was as pretty if not more so than Rube's. It was so purdy!! I had to pass on it at the time - don't know who owns it now, but it presented like a bute!!

While I understand the a general comic collector's thinking of dark colored covers being harder in high grades because of visible color breaks seen with the naked eye, I never understood the concept of dark colors affecting a CGC grade. I always thought they ( CGC ) looked at the books with magnification and even if a cover color is white, they will still see the color breaks under magnification, which is a technical issue with the book and downgraded all the same. I didnt realize cgc took an aesthetic approach to dark color books, I thought it was all technical.

A simple way to think if this..

If you have a copy of Daredevil # 7 with a blue color cover ( as it does ) and it has 3 color breaking spine ticks, do those color breaks no longer exist on the exact same book if it had a white or lighter color instead?

Ive always wondered about this, when it comes to CGC.

I understand why, and even myself tend to look at dark color books differently ( because we can see the problems right off )

Just looked at the census.

Maybe all the 9.6s are accounted for by a DD fan.

I was just thinking maybe whoever bought that stunner 9.4 from Roy, resubbed it and it bumped up to a 9.6.

Cause I know Roy thought it would slab out originally to a 9.6 and when he sent me the scan after it subbed out a 9.4 - I thought it easily could have been a 9.6. And by no means a soft one if it had. Man I fell in love with that book, wanted to pull the trigger on it but had to wait.

So grateful for Roy, upon him bringing yet another one to market for me to finally own though. I love her dearly :)

Silverdream......wish I could elaborate more, but out the door to do a little evening fly-fishing for some hopefully popper hungry largemouths.

All that comes to mind when pertaining to your quandary (which I too have pondered myself) is with anything in life - everything is relative. Perhaps CGC adheres to (or pleads the 5th) relativity on SA dark covers?

Yes, I would say so.

Roy had (brought to market) the only other 9.4 imho that was as pretty if not more so than Rube's. (One of his many) It was so purdy!! I had to pass on it at the time - don't know who owns it now, but it presented like a bute!!

I'd love to get a look at all of them lined up, to compare and contrast. It's a frustrating position to be in for me as it's obviously a book I need and it will be the second most expensive book in my run and I'm faced with lowering standards in one way or another or I'm never going to actually finish the run :pullhair: Either I go for a 9.4 that doesn't present really well (I've been trying to get nice looking copies, for the grade, of everything I've bought) or I go for something like this Twin Cities book which would break the 9.4+ string, but would fit the mold in terms of looking great for the grade.

Or I wait around for a nice looking 9.4 to surface :facepalm:

Yes, I would say so.

I'd love to get a look at all of them lined up, to compare and contrast. It's a frustrating position to be in for me as it's obviously a book I need and it will be the second most expensive book in my run and I'm faced with lowering standards in one way or another or I'm never going to actually finish the run :pullhair: Either I go for a 9.4 that doesn't present really well (I've been trying to get nice looking copies, for the grade, of everything I've bought) or I go for something like this Twin Cities book which would break the 9.4+ string, but would fit the mold in terms of looking great for the grade.

Rob I truly feel your frustration on this!!

Man it would be awesome if you personally could line them up and pick the one that would follow suit with your set standards.

Again, all I can tell you from what I have seen - Rube's DD and that one of Roy's are the only two I feel qualify for you set. Other than that it is indeed waiting for a new one to surface that hopefully meets your qualifications or buy the Twin Cities one, which is a VERY STUNNING looking 9.2....your perfectionism & OCD might not blend well with it being just a 9.2 as you said though. But that book really should be looked at as "buy the book not the grade," because it indeed blows a lot of the 9.4s out of the water.

Yes, I would say so.

Man it would be awesome if you personally could line them up and pick the one that would follow suit with your set standards.

Again, all I can tell you from what I have seen - Rube's DD and that one of Roy's are the only two I feel qualify for you set. Other than that it is indeed waiting for a new one to surface that hopefully meets your qualifications or buy the Twin Cities one, which is a VERY STUNNING looking 9.2....your perfectionism & OCD might not blend well with it being just a 9.2 as you said though. But that book really should be looked at as "buy the book not the grade," because it indeed blows a lot of the 9.4s out of the water.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the TC copy. It's a nice looking book, for sure. I should definitely get the grader's notes on that one. If I'm going to stray it would have to be on the toughest book in the run.

Yes, I would say so.

Yeah, I've been thinking about the TC copy. It's a nice looking book, for sure. I should definitely get the grader's notes on that one. If I'm going to stray it would have to be on the toughest book in the run.

No matter your choice, whenever you do pull the trigger on a #7, I'm sure it will be one of the nicest representations of that book.