• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
16 16

3,122 posts in this topic

Greetings, I have enjoyed reading a portion of this thread. Some of the issues are just amazing! I'm pretty new to collecting comics seriously. I collected various titles when I was younger, nothing serious. I recently got into Daredevil and have been able to purchase random older issues, probably more at a "reader" copy levels. I just read #18 last night, it was awesome! Ive been watching some auctions and ebay, and I have a few questions that maybe you guys could answer or point me in the right direction for reading. I almost pulled the trigger on a 9.2+ Miller lot last night, then I realized that some of the issues were UK copies. Does this down grade the desirability? Also it seems like there is a big difference in desire for 9.6 and up? Is this mainly due to page color? Maybe there is a guide or a thread someone could point me to so I could learn more. Thanks in advance.

-Fin

Greetings, I have enjoyed reading a portion of this thread. Some of the issues are just amazing! I'm pretty new to collecting comics seriously. I collected various titles when I was younger, nothing serious. I recently got into Daredevil and have been able to purchase random older issues, probably more at a "reader" copy levels. I just read #18 last night, it was awesome! Ive been watching some auctions and ebay, and I have a few questions that maybe you guys could answer or point me in the right direction for reading. I almost pulled the trigger on a 9.2+ Miller lot last night, then I realized that some of the issues were UK copies. Does this down grade the desirability? Also it seems like there is a big difference in desire for 9.6 and up? Is this mainly due to page color? Maybe there is a guide or a thread someone could point me to so I could learn more. Thanks in advance.

-Fin

Welcome To The Hobby and the Forums!!!

These are the 2 books I use religiously.

1)Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide

2)Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide

http://www.gemstonepub.com/

(You can also find them on Amazon and eBay)

Okay... Just listed on ComicLink for the November auction is a Voldemort DD #7 in 9.4.

:pullhair:

It seems soft to me. I'd be PETRIFIED crossing that book over to a CGC holder.

That said, I'm really curious what it will go for. I might bid, but not heavily as it doesn't look appreciably better than my 9.2.

Thank you. I'll be getting that guide. The OWL cards seem pretty dang handy. Couldnt find "voldermort" though? Sound elusive? Is it because its not a CGC? Or maybe DD costume change?

Does the guide address the value of UK issues? Not monetarily but as far as a weak link in a collection, is it considered such?

Okay... Just listed on ComicLink for the November auction is a Voldemort DD #7 in 9.4.

That said, I'm really curious what it will go for. I might bid, but not heavily as it doesn't look appreciably better than my 9.2.

After further review and knowing how a very nice hi res scan (like that one) can really magnify flaws on that book.....I personally think it is a strong 9.2 but I'd want to see it in hand before subbing to the kicking team.

(The white pages has me intrigued)

Thank you. I'll be getting that guide. The OWL cards seem pretty dang handy. Couldnt find "voldermort" though? Sound elusive? Is it because its not a CGC? Or maybe DD costume change?

Does the guide address the value of UK issues? Not monetarily but as far as a weak link in a collection, is it considered such?

The OWL cards are not that helpful, I wouldn't bother with them. It's better to get experience from looking at books you own to judge what white, off-white, cream pages look like. Especially in silver age books white does not mean white as in a sheet of paper or backing board. Try to stay away from brown pages, the darker the colour the more brittle the paper. :(

UK issues (pence copies) have lower values than US (cents issues) generally but especially in high grade, high value comics. For example I have a Silver Surfer #8 (pence copy) in Very Fine condition (8.0) that's worth approx £39; the cent version for the same grade is £110. This is only an example and different books can have an increased or decreased value in respect to their American counterparts.

Also, welcome to the boards, I'm a newbie here myself. :D

Be careful on page quality with the Voldemort clan...I think they're very generous on giving out white pages.

Dan

I have a couple of off-white/white that says otherwise but it doesn't bother me.

I'm curious about the DD7. I am confident their grading is in the ballpark, whether or not it receives the same grade by CGC is another thing. I am more interested in the book personally although I doubt I'll even end up bidding on it in the end.

Alas, no DD books to bid on for a while.

To the newbie, regarding the pence copies, I am not really sure what it does to the value. I think a google search and some reading will help, or a general post to 'Comics General'. Don't let the flip responses bother you, they are expected. I would guess that some people don't like them (like I do), much like they don't like date stamps or distributor ink (also a peeve of mine, though I own copies with both).

I wouldn't bother, if I were you. The CL copy sure looks like a CGC 9.2 to me.

Be careful on page quality with the Voldemort clan...I think they're very generous on giving out white pages.

Dan

Just my opinion, I submitted @20 books that I had recorded PQ from White to COW. The PQ's I notated as white came back that way. Several of the OWW came back as White. Most OW came back OWW, with a couple of stragglers that remained OW. I had 2 books notated as COW, both came back OW.

So it would seem that the PQs from Voldemort are one tick higher that CGC. While that can be seen as a negative, I'll give them credit for being consistent with their PQs, which is a big problem at times with CGC.

The grades on the books ranged from 4.5-6.5. My estimation is that the discrepancy would be minor. .5 deviation from Voldemort grades.

Softer on blunted corners. Harder on Chipping and Sub Creases.

Just my experience.