• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CL's October Golden Age auction looks to be a good one...

361 posts in this topic

Hey, was there a reserve on this book? Because I thought I saw it "sell" for $2,900. Now its back up on Comiclink a few hours later with a $3,250 ask price. Its also not showing up with the other "Auction Ended" books under the auction link.

For the life of me, I don't remember there being a reserve on this book. Tell me Josh wasn't the winner of his own book at $2,900. foreheadslap.gif

I hope that is not the case. gossip.gif

Hey, was there a reserve on this book? Because I thought I saw it "sell" for $2,900. Now its back up on Comiclink a few hours later with a $3,250 ask price. Its also not showing up with the other "Auction Ended" books under the auction link.

For the life of me, I don't remember there being a reserve on this book. Tell me Josh wasn't the winner of his own book at $2,900. foreheadslap.gif

I hope that is not the case. gossip.gif

I should add I'm not 100% sure it is his (or Comiclink's) book, I've never asked and have no direct proof. So please take my conjecture with a grain of salt.

However, there appears to be a certain pattern in the text of a number of listings on Comiclink, and the Subby # 10 fit the bill.

**EDIT** The book did have a reserve (which was not met) and is in the "Auction Ended" section, but appears towards the end along with the other books whose Reserve was not met.

It may still be Josh's book, but there wasn't any funny business going on. Please accept my apologies if I suggested otherwise. I didn't realize the "Auction Ended" section is broken up by what sold and what doesn't sell.

The whole issue about it possibly being a former 6.5 is another matter entirely.

You all picked up some incredible and diverse books.

Congratulations.....thanks for sharing.

Ya, thanks for sharing that list of books bought by profligate spenders...wish I had that kind of cash.

Yeah, I know that feeling. Its how I used to feel in 2002-2003 when I was trying to assemble a high grade FF run. screwy.gif

Boy, was I glad the financial reality sank in....it convinced me to sell my incomplete run at or near the top, and start focusing on the type of stuff that made me happy, regardless of what I paid for it. It became less about competition and what I can afford, and more about the thrill of the hunt, which is what it should be.

If I were in your shoes, I would be thrilled to death with that one Rangers comic you picked up. I guess I'm saying, don't worry about what you can't afford this time, be happy with what you did get. Besides, in this hobby, if you're around long enough, everything comes back on the market at some point and you'll get another chance. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for giving me a reality check. You know how it is though, you see a book that you desperately want, only to have it slip past your fingers.

I am happy with that Rangers book, I'll keep looking for that Thrilling #44 I'd even be happy with a low grade copy of that book. The hunt is on....

You all picked up some incredible and diverse books.

Congratulations.....thanks for sharing.

Ya, thanks for sharing that list of books bought by profligate spenders...wish I had that kind of cash.

Yeah, I know that feeling. Its how I used to feel in 2002-2003 when I was trying to assemble a high grade FF run. screwy.gif

Boy, was I glad the financial reality sank in....it convinced me to sell my incomplete run at or near the top, and start focusing on the type of stuff that made me happy, regardless of what I paid for it. It became less about competition and what I can afford, and more about the thrill of the hunt, which is what it should be.

If I were in your shoes, I would be thrilled to death with that one Rangers comic you picked up. I guess I'm saying, don't worry about what you can't afford this time, be happy with what you did get. Besides, in this hobby, if you're around long enough, everything comes back on the market at some point and you'll get another chance. thumbsup2.gif

Wise man, that JiveTurkeyMoFo.

Thank you guys! hi.gif

Quite right, Brian, this has been one of my grails for ages. This copy has some resto, but clearly that's what scared off some of the other bidders and enabled me to come out on top. I'm thrilled to have won it!

I just love the early Supermans...quite honestly I'd rather have this book than many of the high-grade later Supes that went for thousands. cloud9.gif

One for the road:

yay.gif

And by the way, the 2.0 Superman #11 with "9 pieces of tape on 5 centerfolds" went for $550. 893whatthe.gif Well over 2x Guide. That make any sense to anyone? VG/VG+ copies have sold for less. Only thing I can imagine is that some of the bidders thought it was undergraded at 2.0.

And by the way, the 2.0 Superman #11 with "9 pieces of tape on 5 centerfolds" went for $550. 893whatthe.gif Well over 2x Guide. That make any sense to anyone? VG/VG+ copies have sold for less. Only thing I can imagine is that some of the bidders thought it was undergraded at 2.0.

It todays world of chop shop books it wouldn't surprise me if this book cover or "guts" could be used to upgrade another copy. frown.gif

I picked up More Fun #36. My first pre-1940 book...which is why I bought it. Something about seeing 1938 on the cover. cool.gif

Congrats, innocuous! I know your post kind of got lost in the shuffle of this thread, but I'm very excited for you and am quite curious about what you think when you get the book. It's unslabbed, so you'll have access to the best part of the early More Funs: the interior.

Sweet!