• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

course it matters. when they settle down it it will matter how many there really are out there.

theres a difference between a book with a few copies that cant find a home... and 34 copies to choose form. One is scarce but unlucky n love; the other is common as dirt.

I'm pretty sure the majority of the issues that we've seen for sale over the past couple of years have not been the same issues recycling over and over like a 9.0 MC #1.

Areed. There are definitely more HG copies of GL #76 yet to surface, but there have likely been a good number of 9.0 and 9.2 copies bumped up to 9.4 as well. That being said, the numbers are still likely going to be lower than most other BA keys since it was a dying title at the time that #76 was released and the green cover picks up wear easily.

I think that pricewise this book will hold up well over time. As we have discussed here or on an Adams thread before, there are more and more comic collectors of all stripes (including hardcore Marvel fanboys) that are collecting Adams books now. This should bode well for prices over the long term as GL #76 is one of, if not the, key Adams cover to own.

Just to digress a bit, part of the reason MC #1 is lagging in high grade is the content. Captain America Comics #1 is likely going to end up as the key GA Timely over time.

Just to digress a bit, part of the reason MC #1 is lagging in high grade is the content. Captain America Comics #1 is likely going to end up as the key GA Timely over time.

I agree with this.

I'll disagree politely.

:foryou:

Part of the reason that MC #1 is lagging behind is because of internet chatter. Talk to most Timely guys and you'll have a very strong consensus that MC #1 is a better book for their collecting interests even Cap is the only character to remain A tier from the two keys.

Post a few negative things about a book and it's demand though and it spirals quickly because people become afraid to sink any real money into it based on what other people are sayin...and nothing has changed except for the perception.

Bad news, as they say travels faster than good news.

MC #1 is much more rare than Cap #1 and it is much more important to me even if Cap has overtaken Subby and the Torch.

Personally, there is no comparison to the two (MC #1 and Cap #1)...I will always want a Marvel #1 more.

I knew that the MC #1 baiting was too good to resist. lol

I knew Roy would be the first to defend it's honor. :devil:

I actually figured it would be Silver Surfer, but I guess Roy might frequent the Bronze section more than him.

That argument only works for fans of Marvel 1. The rest of us hear this "chatter" as truth talking. So the ones in the middle who might be thinking of buying a copy a smart to hold off because the market as a whole is undecided on it's worth going forward. There is far from the unanimous appeal that Action 1 and Tec 27 enjoy.

Those expressing negative views on MC 1 do so because that's how they see things developing over time in the hobby. They don't dis it for fun or with an agenda to drive prices down.

for sure. at the same time though its a double first app. of timely's first two major characters and the first marvel book and the #1 of timely's flagship and longest running title. That's a lot of good stuff in one book.

Its hurt by a weak cover (yeah yeah many will argue that point but that is NOT a comic book cover its a PULP cover on a comic), and the fact that while it has five REALLY GOOD attributes it doesn't have a single KILLER attribute or first appearance.

Today's market just seems to value any given book for its single BEST attribute more so than for the sum of all the parts. That's how you get 10k bats #227s when the interiors aren't even adams. I dislike that general direction that today's market has taken :/

Which leaves me, values aside, in the school that would prefer a NM FF1 over a NM AF15 and that would prefer a VF marvel 1 over a VF cap 1 ANY DAY OF THE WEEK

well, thats goes directy to the heart of the collector vs 'investing collector' conflict. Should we buy what we covet regardless of recouping or profiting when spending tens or 100s of 1000s? or stick to "safer bets" with our dough. Do we buy with our hearts , or our heads? Do we buy what we like regardless of what the hobby thinks?

aye, theres the rub

f

Which leaves me, values aside, in the school that would prefer a NM FF1 over a NM AF15 and that would prefer a VF marvel 1 over a VF cap 1 ANY DAY OF THE WEEK

AF 15 for me. :takeit:

+1

If I could have one comic in my collection it would be my AF 15.

Today's market just seems to value any given book for its single BEST attribute more so than for the sum of all the parts. That's how you get 10k bats #227s when the interiors aren't even adams. I dislike that general direction that today's market has taken :/

I agree 100%. I'm an "FF first" guy.

well, thats goes directy to the heart of the collector vs 'investing collector' conflict. Should we buy what we covet regardless of recouping or profiting when spending tens or 100s of 1000s? or stick to "safer bets" with our dough. Do we buy with our hearts , or our heads? Do we buy what we like regardless of what the hobby thinks?

aye, theres the rub

It's a matter of confidence. And trends. And the fact that the internet age allows instant gratification over anything else.

Why buy a great book (Tec #33) when you can have a great cover (Tec #31)

Why buy an important, rare book (Whiz #1 or Marvel #1) when you can have a much more common book with a popular character who has a movie made about him.

You're right, it does strike into the heart of the collector/investor debate and investors are generally shorter term.

(thumbs u

It's a matter of confidence. And trends. And the fact that the internet age allows instant gratification over anything else.

Why buy a great book (Tec #33) when you can have a great cover (Tec #31)

Why buy an important, rare book (Whiz #1 or Marvel #1) when you can have a much more common book with a popular character who has a movie made about him.

You're right, it does strike into the heart of the collector/investor debate and investors are generally shorter term.

(thumbs u

I disagree with the investors being short term point. Speculators are short term buyers and sellers, but just like other assets investors tend to take a longer term approach. Personally, I am a blend of both - I will speculate on movie related books to flip while holding a small core group of books for the longer run.

The reason Whiz #1 and Marvel #1 are lagging Action #1 and Tec #27 is simple - they do not feature any characters that the vast majority of collectors really care about now. We have seen the same thing with every other hobby so there is no reason for comics to behave any differently.

As far as the cover vs. content debate, this has become more important with the emergence of slabbing IMHO. While classic covers have always been valued more highly, I think it is a bigger deal now that before since all you see is the cover on books in the plastic tomb. That being said, there are some covers that are a cut above the rest. Tec #33 is definitely a more significant book content wise, but the cover to Tec #31 is a classic that most, if not all, collectors will recognize. Look at decapitation and other iconic horror covers as further examples as well.

f

AF 15 for me. :takeit:

+1

If I could have one comic in my collection it would be my AF 15.

Monetary value set aside, I would have much rather have a NM FF 1. So much harder to find than a NM AF 15.