• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

I disagree. Looking at the pics, it is a 9.2 copy at best, most likely just a 9.0. There are 5 or 6 noticeable spine creases/dings, with a couple being way too large for a 9.4 IMHO, plus the dings at the top of the spine (discoloration as well?) and the left bottom edge, and what appears to be some wear along the right side of the top edge on the front cover.

Considering that, the new buyer overpaid by at least $1200 IMHO.

I disagree. Looking at the pics, it is a 9.2 copy at best, most likely just a 9.0. There are 5 or 6 noticeable spine creases/dings, with a couple being way too large for a 9.4 IMHO, plus the dings at the top of the spine (discoloration as well?) and the left bottom edge, and what appears to be some wear along the right side of the top edge on the front cover.

+1- sbsolutely horrible 9.4

So in other words it's a pressed 9.0 or 9.2 that is now a 9.4 adding numbers to the census and therefore possibly bringing down the prices of the real 9.2s and 9.4 out there... isn't that pressing damaging this book then? (shrug)

BTW it was hard to see on my iphone but looking at it on my computer I agree 100% that it is/was quite fugly looking...

So in other words it's a pressed 9.0 or 9.2 that is now a 9.4 adding numbers to the census and therefore possibly bringing down the prices of the real 9.2s and 9.4 out there... So is that not pressing damaging this book then?

BTW it was hard to see on my iphone but looking at it on my computer I agree 100% that it is/was quite fugly looking...

i'm not disagreeing about the pressing part but this was a particularly bad example of what this book would bring in true 9.4 imho

yes thats it... i couldnt see on my phone that it's reserve had not been met.

I'm after a copy of this, but I always get put off by the colour breaking creases which you commonly see even in higher grades.  That 9.4 (gift grade) presents terribly.

I'm after a copy of this, but I always get put off by the colour breaking creases which you commonly see even in higher grades.  That 9.4 (gift grade) presents terribly.

I know what you mean... Then other copies like mine get lower grades than they deserve... I really think mine deserves a 9.4, but since I plan on keeping it I wont bother to resub it.

GL76.jpg

More important than the number on the slab, that's a great-looking copy. :)

Thank you... That's why I'm not resubbing it... I'm happy with it's appearance and don't plan on selling it so no need to resub. :) But would be nice if they got the grade right the first time for an unpressed copy... ;)

to a degree because of the sky high reserve, you have to give the ending price a bit of a pass. this seller must turn off potential buyers who know his MO, he had an Atom #3 in 9.4 (previously listed w/a $5k BIN) end at less than $200 w/o meeting reserve. this is at least the second time he's listed it w/a seemingly insurmountable reserve price there's no way a no reserve auction would result in a $200 final sale price for that book.

to a degree because of the sky high reserve, you have to give the ending price a bit of a pass. this seller must turn off potential buyers who know his MO, he had an Atom #3 in 9.4 (previously listed w/a $5k BIN) end at less than $200 w/o meeting reserve. this is at least the second time he's listed it w/a seemingly insurmountable reserve price there's no way a no reserve auction would result in a $200 final sale price for that book.

I usually see no reserve auctions go for higher amounts, unless of course the seller is worried there is a chance that the book might go for a smaller amount due to it's appearance. I think that is the case here with this book. That should be a 3500 9.4, or ideally a 3K 9.2 (or not even).

I think the market is actually kind of soft on these Adams books at the moment.. I just had two auctions end on ebay at all time lows... Prices that they haven't sold for for 8 years... Not sure why... They were both nice examples as well. I guess someone got a really really good deal. but I wont' be investing any of my money into Adams books again I can tell you that. Take my advice and hold onto your Adam's books.

I think the market is actually kind of soft on these Adams books at the moment.. I just had two auctions end on ebay at all time lows... Prices that they haven't sold for for 8 years... Not sure why... They were both nice examples as well. I guess someone got a really really good deal. but I wont' be investing any of my money into Adams books again I can tell you that. Take my advice and hold onto your Adam's books.

Dang! Announce your ebay auctions or send me a PM if you're going to sell any Adams books.