• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

the honest truth is that the book was overrated and over inflated. 'nuff said

Dont lie Supa. I know you would still take the Pacific Coast copy if offered to you :baiting:

Talking of which has anyone noticed in the Focused November Comiclink auction that there are a load of Pacific Coast Green Lanterns being offered that suddenly stop at #75. Im begining to think the #76 has already been re-submitted.

Dont lie Supa. I know you would still take the Pacific Coast copy if offered to you :baiting:

Talking of which has anyone noticed in the Focused November Comiclink auction that there are a load of Pacific Coast Green Lanterns being offered that suddenly stop at #75. Im begining to think the #76 has already been re-submitted.

Yes I would but I would not pay a lot of money for it. ?

2 9.8s and 10 9.6s isn't exactly opening the floodgates. (shrug)

and i wonder how many havent been pressed?

They were probably all pressed,this is why pressing in my opinion is bad.I feel pressing will one day bring down comics,because they can manipulate a higher grade and who wants something that is easy to acquire.Just sayin' (shrug)

That was always the hidden danger to upgrading books. Sure you can make money, bt what are the long term effects to prices nd the hobby? One reson I and others Lowy liked the steroids analogy. Feels great while you are doing them, then your baalls shrivel up. Oops.

Yeah, but the thing that fascinates me about the book is that the fundamentals supported the overinflated price for a long time.

Any BA or CA book could sell for 5-figures in 9.4 once, given the right combination of crazed buyers. But how many other books could continue to sell for that kind of price, repeatedly, without an immediate quantum increase in supply that would immediately drive the price back down?

the thing that fascinates me about the book is that the fundamentals supported the overinflated price for a long time.

Exactly. Even before the crazy sales, we all knew that a 9.4 would bring "krazy" money. It still did take an awful long time for new HG copies to surface.

As you mentioned earlier, it sat with only (1) 9.6 for quite awhile further contributing the "scarcity factor".

coupled with the fact that there are at least several of these that are badly miswrapped or just plain ugly examples of the grade. unfortunately, those copies can't seem to find a permanent home

Do you really think the miswrapping is that much of a stigma with this book? I see so many folks on these boards proudly parading their 9.6 and 9.8 miswrapped monstrosities of various books, completely oblivious to the fugly fat white stripes or even worse, crooked white stripe, running down the spine, that I find it hard to believe that miswrapping factors that much into most collectors` minds.

The boards are a microcosm of the anti-miswrap crew. I don't believe the collecting fandom at large cares as much about such things as we do.

People pressing books from 9.0/9.2 to 9.4/9.6s have deflated the price of this book.Manipulating books to a higher grade is going to be the downfall of this hobby.

The boards are a microcosm of the anti-pressing crew. I don't believe the collecting fandom at large cares as much about such things as we do.

I think the slow death of print, a lack of younguns reading comic, and an aging comic collecting base is more of a danger to this hobby than pressing ever could be.

They are linked. Fewer buyers affects the "supply / demand" equation as less demand. If the supply wasn't increasing as well, that might not be so bad. But we are faced with a double barrel danger: increased supply in the face of less demand. Ouch. It this was actually someone's gameplan for our hobby, it was not a long range plan!

People pressing books from 9.0/9.2 to 9.4/9.6s have deflated the price of this book.Manipulating books to a higher grade is going to be the downfall of this hobby.

The boards are a microcosm of the anti-pressing crew. I don't believe the collecting fandom at large cares as much about such things as we do. I think the slow death of print, a lack of younguns reading comic, and an aging comic collecting base is more of a danger to this hobby than pressing ever could be.

There are a lot of people on these very boards that don't care about pressing. (shrug)

Variations in grading over the past 2 - 3 years has also impacted the numbers. There are a lot of books now that are in 9.4/9.6 slabs that would have only graded 9.0/9.2 five or more years ago. Take a look at the 9.2s from the Twin Cities or Savannah "pedigrees" and compare them to the Pac Coasts, as an example. Based on the few TCs and Savannahs I have owned, there is no comparison.

Variations in grading over the past 2 - 3 years has also impacted the numbers. There are a lot of books now that are in 9.4/9.6 slabs that would have only graded 9.0/9.2 five or more years ago. Take a look at the 9.2s from the Twin Cities or Savannah "pedigrees" and compare them to the Pac Coasts, as an example. Based on the few TCs and Savannahs I have owned, there is no comparison.

You're right,grading has gotten softer.

check the 9.4 on Clink, i stopped counting the huge stress marks on the spine in disgust

check the 9.4 on Clink, i stopped counting the huge stress marks on the spine in disgust

In my book that's an 8.5

RADE6C3C20111028_103547.jpg

Good point. Between lower grading standards and pressing, it`s a perfect storm for massively increasing the high grade population.