• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

People pressing books from 9.0/9.2 to 9.4/9.6s have deflated the price of this book.Manipulating books to a higher grade is going to be the downfall of this hobby.

The boards are a microcosm of the anti-pressing crew. I don't believe the collecting fandom at large cares as much about such things as we do. I think the slow death of print, a lack of younguns reading comic, and an aging comic collecting base is more of a danger to this hobby than pressing ever could be.

There are a lot of people on these very boards that don't care about pressing. (shrug)

Quite true

People pressing books from 9.0/9.2 to 9.4/9.6s have deflated the price of this book.Manipulating books to a higher grade is going to be the downfall of this hobby.

Variations in grading over the past 2 - 3 years has also impacted the numbers. There are a lot of books now that are in 9.4/9.6 slabs that would have only graded 9.0/9.2 five or more years ago. Take a look at the 9.2s from the Twin Cities or Savannah "pedigrees" and compare them to the Pac Coasts, as an example. Based on the few TCs and Savannahs I have owned, there is no comparison.

Good point. Between lower grading standards and pressing, it`s a perfect storm for massively increasing the high grade population.

Exactly. Looking at the stunning books you are posting in your memory lane thread, most of the 9.2s are likely 9.4 if not a bit better books without pressing now.

That being said, I have noticed that things are tightening up a bit again now based on my last two submissionsFor example, the 9.8 ASM #64 I sold last weekend on eBay is a solid 9.8 book, but the GL #87 9.8 I received in the previous batch was more likely a 9.4/9.6 (which is why I sold it, even though I had always wanted an uber-HG copy of it :cry: ).

The other factor that will impact things over the coming 5 - 10 years is that there are a ton of HG GA/SA/BA collections that will be coming to market. This will likely suppress prices further as older collectors (or their heirs) cash out and the books go to new owners. While the big ones get the spotlight (e.g. Twin Cities, Savannah, Suscha News, Atlantic City), there were a lot of other HG collections that have come to market over the past year and a half. What surprises me is how well the market has actually held up in spite of this. Granted, the common material continues to slowly drop, but the key/high demand issues continue to do well.

Variations in grading over the past 2 - 3 years has also impacted the numbers. There are a lot of books now that are in 9.4/9.6 slabs that would have only graded 9.0/9.2 five or more years ago. Take a look at the 9.2s from the Twin Cities or Savannah "pedigrees" and compare them to the Pac Coasts, as an example. Based on the few TCs and Savannahs I have owned, there is no comparison.

Good point. Between lower grading standards and pressing, it`s a perfect storm for massively increasing the high grade population.

Exactly. Looking at the stunning books you are posting in your memory lane thread, most of the 9.2s are likely 9.4 if not a bit better books without pressing now.

ALL of the 9.2s that I`ve posted (or will post) in my thread ARE 9.4s now. :gossip:

That being said, I have noticed that things are tightening up a bit again now based on my last two submissionsFor example, the 9.8 ASM #64 I sold last weekend on eBay is a solid 9.8 book, but the GL #87 9.8 I received in the previous batch was more likely a 9.4/9.6 (which is why I sold it, even though I had always wanted an uber-HG copy of it).

How does getting a 9.8 on a book that you think is more likely a 9.4/9.6 show that CGC is tightening up? ???

The boards are a microcosm of the anti-pressing crew. I don't believe the collecting fandom at large cares as much about such things as we do. I think the slow death of print, a lack of younguns reading comic, and an aging comic collecting base is more of a danger to this hobby than pressing ever could be.

There are a lot of people on these very boards that don't care about pressing. (shrug)

I don`t think they care about pressing per se, but I think many of them will care about the impact from dilution of the high grade pool (if they`re not feeling it already).

That being said, I have noticed that things are tightening up a bit again now based on my last two submissionsFor example, the 9.8 ASM #64 I sold last weekend on eBay is a solid 9.8 book, but the GL #87 9.8 I received in the previous batch was more likely a 9.4/9.6 (which is why I sold it, even though I had always wanted an uber-HG copy of it).

How does getting a 9.8 on a book that you think is more likely a 9.4/9.6 show that CGC is tightening up? ???

What I meant is that the book was really only a 9.4, maybe 9.6, at best and with CGC tightening things up a bit it would definitely not have hit 9.8 with my last batch like the ASM #64. Basically, if it was a legit 9.8 in my eyes I would have kept it as it is a key BA Adams GL.

The rest of the second batch was graded much more strictly as well. I f'ed up by not sending them all in at the same time - there were some books in the second group that would have been one grade higher. :cry:

I don`t think they care about pressing per se, but I think many of them will care about the impact from dilution of the high grade pool (if they`re not feeling it already).

Agreed. Assuming that the dilution ends up having a negative impact on prices, which would be a logical assumption.

Agreed. Assuming that the dilution ends up having a negative impact on prices, which would be a logical assumption.

Overall, the impact of dilution so far has been much less than what I would`ve figured. For example, I was stunned to read from the description in Heritage`s current auction that there are now 13 (13!!!) 9.4 copies of FF #12 in the Census, and 2 9.6 copies, but from the discussion of the Sparkle City auctions, the book seems to be reaching new heights. Similarly, there are 12 9.6 copies of Avengers 4 and 22 9.4 copies in the Census, and yet the book in 9.6 has joined the $100K club.

The empirical data shows that Marvels seem to be immune to Census creep, so maybe I should throw in the towel and drink the kool aid just like I did with GL 76 really being a scarce book when the empirical data showed that higher prices were not translating into greater supply.

What I meant is that the book was really only a 9.4, maybe 9.6, at best and with CGC tightening things up a bit it would definitely not have hit 9.8 with my last batch like the ASM #64. Basically, if it was a legit 9.8 in my eyes I would have kept it as it is a key BA Adams GL.

The rest of the second batch was graded much more strictly as well. I f'ed up by not sending them all in at the same time - there were some books in the second group that would have been one grade higher. :cry:

Well, the thing about 9.8s is that CGC doesn`t have any room to "upgrade" solid 9.8s to a higher grade. While they can and have allowed lesser books to become 9.8s, they do appear to have taken a pretty consistently firm line on what they admit as a 9.9 or 10.0. Therefore, whether they`re grading strictly or loosely, a solid 9.8 will only ever get a 9.8. So I`m not sure that a solid 9.8 book getting "only" a 9.8 is evidence of tightening. However, if 9.6- and 9.4-worthy books are not getting 9.8s, I guess in a sick and twisted way that IS evidence that CGC are "tightening up".

The empirical data shows that Marvels seem to be immune to Census creep, so maybe I should throw in the towel and drink the kool aid just like I did with GL 76 really being a scarce book when the empirical data showed that higher prices were not translating into greater supply.

You can't resist the power of the dark side...................... lol

Seriously, though, this jut goes to show the differences in demand between SA Marvels and SA DCs. On the flip side, the Marvel BA keys like GS X-Men #1 and Hulk #181 have pulled back significantly over the years as well as new copies were added to the census. GL #76 is just following the same pattern.

Does anybody know how many Green Lantern #76's there are that are part of a Pedigree Collection.

Comicbookpedigrees.com lists Pacific Coast at 9.4, Savannah at 9.2 and Twin Cities at 9.6, but there may be more. (thumbs u

Does anybody know how many Green Lantern #76's there are that are part of a Pedigree Collection.

Comicbookpedigrees.com lists Pacific Coast at 9.4, Savannah at 9.2 and Twin Cities at 9.6, but there may be more. (thumbs u

Northland is a (weak) 9.4 now

Northland is a (weak) 9.4 NOW :pullhair:

Well with the prices this book was fetching a few years ago i shouldnt be surprised. Mind you i think the Pacific Coast copy should be a 9.6 even without the pressing especially if you compare it with the 9.4 copy Comiclink has in their for sale section.

Well with the prices this book was fetching a few years ago i shouldnt be surprised. Mind you i think the Pacific Coast copy should be a 9.6 even without the pressing especially if you compare it with the 9.4 copy Comiclink has in their for sale section.

too late to edit. i think the 9.4 i was thinking of wasn't the Northland. but the Northland is a 9.4

too late to edit. i think the 9.4 i was thinking of wasn't the Northland. but the Northland is a 9.4

This is the 9.4 Northland copy. :cloud9:

RAD6B6DB201259_135353.jpg

the wrap on that copy is beautiful until you hit the GL's waist.

the wrap on that copy is beautiful until you hit the GL's waist.

:cry: I know...from not perfect PQ and down as you mention. Pedigree boost I hope can cover that. ;)