• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Each of the following were purchased in the last couple of weeks by

an anonymous devilish board member (who doesn't normally collect DC) for roughly equal amounts.

Which would you choose?

Superman58_5.jpg

action19.jpg

One of the toughest choices I've seen in this thread. I will take the Superman #5, it has long been my favorite of the first 10 issues.

an anonymous devilish board member (who doesn't normally collect DC) for roughly equal amounts.

Which would you choose?

Superman58_5.jpg

action19.jpg

One of the toughest choices I've seen in this thread. I will take the Superman #5, it has long been my favorite of the first 10 issues.

yay, a supes 5 taker! (of course, if you are the devil incarnate, you choose "both" ) lol

Action 1 because it's THE landmark comic with (arguably, along with Batman, Mickey Mouse and Archie) the most popular comic character ever.

In the comic world AA16 is also a landmark with the Mile High copy being the ultimate choice but Action 1 is known to those outside the hobby as well and is as close as you can get to a no-brainer from an investment standpoint. As for the cover art, even though it's been copied many times, the Action 1 cover is still a very cool one and much more interesting than the AA16 cover. That can be nice when you're sipping a nice single malt and gazing at your new acquisition... :cloud9:

we do tend to fall in love with our icons. from a timely collector who cares very little for d.c.'s of any stripe, the cover of aa 16 is MUCH better. imagine that the action actually had sparkman throwing the car on one of his sparkler covers; we wouldn't look at it twice, just as we don't on his actual covers. but you can insert any character you want, and the aa 16 will always be eye-catching. sorry, but it's my honest and VERY objective opinion.

Action 1 because it's THE landmark comic with (arguably, along with Batman, Mickey Mouse and Archie) the most popular comic character ever.

In the comic world AA16 is also a landmark with the Mile High copy being the ultimate choice but Action 1 is known to those outside the hobby as well and is as close as you can get to a no-brainer from an investment standpoint. As for the cover art, even though it's been copied many times, the Action 1 cover is still a very cool one and much more interesting than the AA16 cover. That can be nice when you're sipping a nice single malt and gazing at your new acquisition... :cloud9:

we do tend to fall in love with our icons. from a timely collector who cares very little for d.c.'s of any stripe, the cover of aa 16 is MUCH better. imagine that the action actually had sparkman throwing the car on one of his sparkler covers; we wouldn't look at it twice, just as we don't on his actual covers. but you can insert any character you want, and the aa 16 will always be eye-catching. sorry, but it's my honest and VERY objective opinion.

I have to agree - AA #16 is the most dynamic cover of the major DC keys, and one of the top Green Lantern covers of the GA (AA#61 is still my favorite). Action #1 has a great cover - but I can think of a good number of Superman covers I prefer .

Which would you choose?

Superman58_5.jpg

action19.jpg

I'll take the AC with Supes holding the giant peni...er... gun barrel.

I have to agree - AA #16 is the most dynamic cover of the major DC keys, and one of the top Green Lantern covers of the GA (AA#61 is still my favorite). Action #1 has a great cover - but I can think of a good number of Superman covers I prefer .

That's cool, I just don't see what you guys do with the AA16 cover. Other than it being the first GL, I just see some girders on which GL is standing while facing a guy with a Tommy gun. On the Action, I see much more activity (couldn't say "action") with the car being smashed against the rocks, parts of the car flying and 2 of the 3 criminals running in terror. Regardless of the characters involved, I think it is a much more interesting cover.

The point about the character involvement is a good point, if Sparkman was the one smashing the car then I'd certainly be less interested in the comic but I still think it would be a more interesting cover. Even Adventure 48 or More Fun 52 are both pretty unremarkable covers, especially for character introductions, but I like them more than AA16 because it just seems that uninteresting to me. I don't even find the color combinations to be anything special. All in the eye of the beholder I guess...

Finally one I would make a choice on...

That Adventure cover is awful. There are some cool stories in it, but come on.

The first time Superman and Batman learn each others identity...now that is a cool story.

Superman 76 all day long, if I had to make a choice.

Edited by MrBedrock

Finally one I would make a choice on...

That Adventure cover is awful. There are some cool stories in it, but come on.

The first time Superman and Batman learn each others identity...now that is a cool story.

Superman 76 all day long, if I had to make a choice.

Ditto! (thumbs u

Adventure for me, I think both covers are terrible, but the adventure is less terrible and has a certain lovely GA feeling. Also Superman knew Batmans identity from the first time he met him, I mean come on x-ray vision?? For me having a 9.8 Church early 40's Superhero book is much cooler than early 50's rare in grade cheesy DC...JMHO