• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your favorite Golden Age Classic Covers !!

266 posts in this topic

Who's high on pixie sticks? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Smarties tonight! I'm pillaging the boy's halloween haul!

What was his costume?

Did he go as "The Arrow?" "Phantom of the Fair?"

What a great cover. I had not noticed that one before.

Why do I get a sense of foreboding when I read that type of statement from you? poke2.gif

Nearmint (Jeff) is the one you have to worry about with that book.

I believe another of our board members owns the Church copy, which I had the opportunity to purchase on more than one occasion and foolishly failed to do so. frown.gif

John Fairless sent me the Church copy once, years ago, pre-CGC, on spec. I went back and forth over it, but eventually decided against it because I thought it had some pencil fill-in (very very small) at the bottom front cover. The picture of it in the Richardson book crops it above that, so I couldn't tell if it had been there when they took it. Being pre-CGC, and not being certain what constituted "restoration" at that time, I passed on paying 4-5X guide. In retrospect, I should have bought it--like Adam Strange told me the next time I saw him. I saw it years later in a CGC blue holder and couldn't see what I thought was the pencilled area. Curious.

Here is one of my favorite golden age covers. A truely classic image by the great artist Mac Raboy. Cover colors on this scan do not even come close to the actual book. The book has stunning bright reds and blues.

Ken

cmj4.jpg

Here is one of my favorite golden age covers. A truely classic image by the great artist Mac Raboy. Cover colors on this scan do not even come close to the actual book. The book has stunning bright reds and blues.

Ken

cmj4.jpg

Ken,

this book is great..Congrats! The neat thing about classic covers is you know one when you see one, and this is it! Thanks for posting this gem thumbsup2.gif

Ken

cmj4.jpg

hail.gif

What an awesome Raboy!

Thanks. I have been waiting for the Mile High copy to surface for a long time and finally managed to get it. I am going to experiment with my scanner and see if I can get more accurate colors.

Ken

I have the same problem with mine (Epson). Reds are always darker and less interesting. It looks like Microtek i700 does colors nicely.

Thanks. I have been waiting for the Mile High copy to surface for a long time and finally managed to get it. I am going to experiment with my scanner and see if I can get more accurate colors.

Ken

I have the same problem with mine (Epson). Reds are always darker and less interesting. It looks like Microtek i700 does colors nicely.

Ken-

Great looking superhero cover!! Indeed, a Classic Cover. Reds on my scanner are just o.k. at best.

Here's a scan of my America's Best #18, Mile High copy.

The red as well as the other colors are incredibly vivid when seen in person. I was thinking about getting it CGC graded, but the encapsulation will of course reduce the vividness of the colors so I think I'll keep it "free."

] 1471273-America%5C%27sBest%2318.jpg

589a9182291df_1471273-AmericasBest18.jpg.10ba0905ecf39dbbbdeb33bbc8c983a9.jpg

Ken

Ken-

Great looking superhero cover!! Indeed, a Classic Cover. Reds on my scanner are just o.k. at best.

Here's the Mile High Americas Best #18.

The red as well as the other colors are incredibly vivid when seen in person. I was thinking about getting it CGC graded, but the encapsulation will of course reduce the vividness of the colors so I think I'll keep it "free."

] 1471273-America%5C%27sBest%2318.jpg

Gorgeous book!

This has always been one of my favorites. An Ebay purchase in 1999.

starspangled7after.jpg

Fabulous book!! I am very jealous. That is the only Star Spangled I want to own. I had a copy once, but it was beat half to death. Haven't been able to acquire one again since.