• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper age Independants you may have never heard of...

540 posts in this topic

sleeping.gif

retrogradedv4.jpg

an interesting series. i bought one ish, and intended to buy more, but never got around to it. art is very reminiscent of Bill Willingham's

headbang.gif

ralphsnartwb6.jpg

Just picked that one up yesterday along with about 10 more Snart issues.

Issue 1 was one of the first comics I ever owned, I probably bought it when I was around 10 years old. Took me 15 years, but I finally found out what happened after those monsters jumped out of the beach.

Re: Quadrant, I remember hearing about this but I never picked it up.. What was it (looks like a fantasy anthology?), and how was it?

It was... um... inappropriate for small children. Like something that would appear in Penthouse Comix or Heavy Metal. This comic series and Void Indigo both cause a minor ruckus back then....

Also similar to Austin Powers (though it predated it) in its imaginative use of using objects/furnitute/architecture to mask certain body parts... gossip.gif

I found and inventoried the Quadrants yesterday. I glanced through them and certainly enjoyed the covers much more than the inside.

I have now gone through 5 out of 8 boxes of independants and keep finding publishers that I had never heard of with obscure titles. I can not immagine how many of those ever got published or distributed, let alone who ordered them and them who actually bought them.

OK fess up has anybody even heard of

Publisher Title

Genesis West Last of the Viking Heroes 4 part mini series

Hot Comics Chrome

LodeStone (LP) Futurians ( by Dave Cockrum (R.I.P.))

Madison Comics Threshold of Reality

NYC The Protectors

Prelude Alternate Heroes

Pyramid Dimension Z

RION Boogieman

Screamin Cat Fragments

Sparks Comics Electric Fear

Spectrum Guardian

Steel Dragon Captain Phil not Captain Confederacy which ran at least 8 issues

Victory Phase 1

Wonder Comix Mythos ( which had a Tim Sale back cover)

AAAARGH The Crypt

ARF Death Crazed Teenage Super Heroes

Ambition Pub Netherworld

I could go on and on, but who other than the parents of the guy I got this hoard from actually paid $2 for these books over 20 years ago.

think I recognize a couple of those names from this thread, Futurians for one, I know I've got a couple more on my collection from your list (ie, Phaze 1, Guardians, Chrome, Last of the Viking Heroes) ( I need #5 with the Dave Stevens cover from the Last of the Viking Heroes myself.)

I have a copy of two of Chrome.

You really have to wonder just what is out there from this era. Tons of it was total *spoon* but I can just see collectors going nuts for some of the truly rare stuff 20 years from now. Should be interesting to watch if nothing else. I mean some of this stuff had miniscule print runs.