• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,813 posts in this topic

On 4/23/2023 at 12:58 AM, OtherEric said:

I'm not sure, I don't have a copy of SOTI to check.

@SOTIcollector, do you know why Bugs Bunny Four Color #250 was referenced in SOTI?  It was looking at your site that I saw it on the list of books.

Thanks for the tag. I'm happy to help.  Here's what Wertham had to say on p. 309 of SOTI:

The same theme of race ridicule is played up in the good animal comic book Bugs Bunny. Colored people are described as "superstitious natives" and you see them running away. The injury-to-the-eye motif is added, Bugs Bunny being shown throwing little diamonds into the eyes of the colored people. They are "big enough to blind a feller!" says Bunny. "Awk! I can't see!" says one victim. Is that not the same crime-comic-book ingredient adapted to the youngest set?

3F19A0E1-618F-48A8-BF8D-E8FF30E24226.thumb.jpeg.04d1dd2a00b8bd2826c84e076094e09c.jpeg6BD1027F-4935-4093-A156-7871CEC88EB5.thumb.jpeg.c5443a35d92964e1defdc19e62e67c67.jpegD9F9EFC1-E97A-4C08-AF9E-F6C9A1B2AF59.thumb.jpeg.7d2bcb7514c037ecd02f7320db9249ae.jpeg

Edited by SOTIcollector

I have a copy , or maybe still two, of the Your United States mentioned as a :good Comic"

SO after adding 23 FOur Colors I am I am down to only 42 left.  Of those 6 are first series  and another 6 are among the first 50 issues in second series.  That is followed by my best streak   of completed between 42 and 203.

I was surprised that with so many additions and how few are left  that I did not finish any other 100 columns

I will do a deeper dive into the stats  over the weekend

I have  that Nellie  on my upgrade list as my copy is only a 3.0

So, upon reviewing further  I found that with getting 1335 Aggie Mack  I have actually completed all of the "Standard" Four Colors in the 1300 range.  There are not many of the potential 54 that are actually in the real Four Color system  instead of the "missing Four Color".  In the spreadsheet  I had active space sfor 1329 and  1334.  I knew 1329 was really a missing, but had not realized that the name filling in 1334  was repeated form a few issues earlier .

I also only need 673, 740  and 835 to complete each of those 100's  and have a string of  over 300 in a row.  

Nice OLD  book.  I had my first copy sitting out in my office for quite a while.   Now I have my slabbed copy of Pirate Gold  on display.

I am sending off my undercopy of #17  to MCS  in my next lot. .  Even though it is a bit lower than yours, it should reach the consigment value

I am also including  in the MCS box   are some Promotional Harvey comics  such as American Airlines  and Weather Bird SHoes.  Won a bunch of stuff like that  off ebay  from our owm Blissard.  They were advertised as files copies, and they are beautiful.  Wonder how the MCS graders will view them?

On 5/3/2023 at 2:42 PM, jmg3637 said:

Nice OLD  book.  I had my first copy sitting out in my office for quite a while.   Now I have my slabbed copy of Pirate Gold  on display.

I am sending off my undercopy of #17  to MCS  in my next lot. .  Even though it is a bit lower than yours, it should reach the consigment value

I am also including  in the MCS box   are some Promotional Harvey comics  such as American Airlines  and Weather Bird SHoes.  Won a bunch of stuff like that  off ebay  from our owm Blissard.  They were advertised as files copies, and they are beautiful.  Wonder how the MCS graders will view them?

I still have the Harvey Astro-Comics issues that I had as a kid, which included all of the ones from the later series.  I bought a number of the earlier ones from Blissard to fill gaps, though I still need #5 from 1968 and #1,2 from 1970.  

On 5/3/2023 at 11:30 AM, kaculler said:

Four Color #17 arrived in the mail today.  I'm down to needing 40 issues from Series II.

fc17.jpeg

Two of the greatest characters ever. The love-hate relationship Segar explored between Popeye and Wimpy is comic strip narration at its finest.