• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,809 posts in this topic

Anyone following the prices on the Dell Four Colors in the current Heritage Auction. Some surprisingly eye popping prices on some early books; others not so much yet. It's hard to figure out the Four Color market in the auctions these days; some go for nose bleed prices on characters well out of the public's knowledge. Doesn't seem to necessarily correlate with condition either.

I have been watching  and participaating in the Heritage auctions for Four Colors  actively  for a while.  

Seems like 4GEMs  books  are posting less frequently,  but has been replaced with  listings  from DOugs  Dell collection.  It appears that some of Dougs  were actually  won on Heritage from Glen  a year or two earlier.

I received   my heritage wins   since the beginning of the year.  5 graded books  as well as two small lots.  Hope to really look through those  by the 4th

Here is one of the upgrades  I  got from ebay seller  Generations.  upon looking at this one compared to  my existing 2.5 copy from Terry I am not sure it is really  that much better  given the significant tape pull on the front cover.  Is this really  a 5.0?

Scan_07-01-2023_0855.jpg

Scan_01-07-2023_0852.jpg

On 7/1/2023 at 9:00 AM, jmg3637 said:

I have been watching  and participaating in the Heritage auctions for Four Colors  actively  for a while.  

Seems like 4GEMs  books  are posting less frequently,  but has been replaced with  listings  from DOugs  Dell collection.  It appears that some of Dougs  were actually  won on Heritage from Glen  a year or two earlier.

I received   my heritage wins   since the beginning of the year.  5 graded books  as well as two small lots.  Hope to really look through those  by the 4th

Here is one of the upgrades  I  got from ebay seller  Generations.  upon looking at this one compared to  my existing 2.5 copy from Terry I am not sure it is really  that much better  given the significant tape pull on the front cover.  Is this really  a 5.0?

Scan_07-01-2023_0855.jpg

Scan_01-07-2023_0852.jpg

5.0 seems very generous, to say the least, with the paper loss on the cover.  But it looks so sharp other than that, and given that the paper loss doesn't affect the main image, I can just about see the grade.  But if it wasn't slabbed I would probably call it a lower technical grade that presents much higher overall.  So I would ask or pay a 5.0 price if buying or selling it for myself.

While  the last one was sold by generations,  it does not have the COA  like this one does.

Also  a pic of my upgraded copy   I am sure I have already upgraded well over 100 

I got the 144  at a really good price ( probably less than the cost of slabbing)

Scan_07-01-2023_0906.jpg

Scan_07-01-2023_0905.jpg

fc 144 bc.jpg

fc 144 Roy Rogers.jpg

there are so many parts to adding books to my collection.

I recently received 11 upgrades from generations

For upgrades:

I need to 

Find the replacement candidate in my various boxes 

Compare the two books

Up bag the keeper into a mylite bag with Acid free backer

insert a comic extender or two if warranted.

Scan back raw

Scan front in new bag 

Down bag  the replaced book

Rename the front and back cover scans

Enter the books in my Thank You list

Update total thank yous for that list

Enter old book into my for sale list with  cosy and grade

Enter  the  keeper issue in my master spreadsheet  along with grade and cost

the spreadsheet  automaitcally calculates  average grade , and average investment  for each one hundred as well as for the entire series

preform a 3 step sort and replacement  to  produce  my consolidated want/upgrade list.

Actually physically  file the books into my two tier filing system ( the two short boxes  that are culled  for upgrades,  the three (soon to be 4 magazine boxes of slabbed books  or the main filing of 6 short boxes and three long boxes 

Oh that reminds me,  for any CGC books I need to check them in with the registry

Thought of another step in the car .  ENter them onto the MyComicShop list of books to trade to them.  It is probably a good time to send that box off  as they have a few nice books  that I added to my order  just after buying out all of the low grade hole fillers 

I wanted to attach scans  but for some reason I have been unable to upload any images  for most of the day.  Any ideas  why?

fc 130 AP City of Ice.jpg

fc 130 bc.jpg

Nice to see  our cousins from downunder

I recently etered  nearly 20 upgrades that came from either Gneerations or  eritage group auctions.

I was only able to increase my average grade from 4.816  to 4.858  

Even though few if any of these books were over my goal of $50  I was able to increase my cost basis from 48.09  to 48.32  as many of these books replaced low grade copies that I only had invested $5  or less  many years earlier.

Here are a few of the upgrades

fc 1141 Huckleberry Hound.jpg

fc 137 Roy Rogers.jpg

fc 086 Roy Rogers.jpg

Organizing the Missing Four Colors a bit better, prior to attempting to incorporate them into the main spreadsheet.

Here is my current list.  I have the bold ones, but do not have the orange highlighted ones.  Have about 30 missing about 15.  Most of what I have has come from MCS who has the best inventory system around

Missing4C.jpg

Scan_21-01-2023_0954.jpg

Scan_21-01-2023_0955.jpg

Scan_27-01-2023_2217.jpg

Scan_27-01-2023_2219.jpg

Scan_27-01-2023_2220.jpg

Scan Jan 23.jpg

Edited by jmg3637
fixed spelling