• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,803 posts in this topic

[

That's one of my favorite Barks covers even though it's on a book without a Barks story. Nice pickup.

Thanks, I really like this cover too. There is a point in the story where a large batch of these crocodiles have followed Donald and the boys to the airport. It's actually kind of frightening. :olol It would have taken the old Duck Master himself to pull off that scene and have those crocs look friendly, like the big fella on the cover IMHO. :grin:

Checking out that Wizard of Oz FCcomic, is that a "first appearance" in comics or did the Classics Illustrated Jr come out first.

Also, anyone know why certain Four colors are more difficult to get than others?

Another question. Anyone have a list of issues that have variant back covers and would provide some commentary on why that happened and which ones are difficult to find etc.

Probably a bit of proprietary info if you happen to hunting those but I'd sure like to hear opinions/info about it.

Ed

Ed

I am not an expert on Four Colors, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express.

I only adressing the variants and leave your other questions

from what I know there was a major variation starting somewhere in the 600's where some issues had ads on the back cover and others had an issue related back page. Not sure the why's and where's or how many's of these variants, but i think there were hundreds of issues published each way

with all Dells of the late 50's early 60's there were a variety of price variants 10 and 15 or Still 10 etc somewhere there is a thread on that situation.

Jim

Funny. These days I am only slowly adding new FCs to the collection but I grabbed this one within the last month or so. Completed my Fess Parker set in FC. The cover and title never fails to remind me of the Bark race story as well. The Davy Crockett show was on full-on rerun when I was in grade school so the title song is engraved in my memory :)

FC664_zps48a524aa.jpg

The Davy Crockett show was on full-on rerun when I was in grade school so the title song is engraved in my memory :)

Rerun? Who are you trying to fool? You went home and watched after grabbing a soda from the diner on your way home. Rerun. Pfffttt.

Checking out that Wizard of Oz FCcomic, is that a "first appearance" in comics or did the Classics Illustrated Jr come out first.

Also, anyone know why certain Four colors are more difficult to get than others?

Another question. Anyone have a list of issues that have variant back covers and would provide some commentary on why that happened and which ones are difficult to find etc.

Probably a bit of proprietary info if you happen to hunting those but I'd sure like to hear opinions/info about it.

Ed

Ed

I am not an expert on Four Colors, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn express.

I only adressing the variants and leave your other questions

from what I know there was a major variation starting somewhere in the 600's where some issues had ads on the back cover and others had an issue related back page. Not sure the why's and where's or how many's of these variants, but i think there were hundreds of issues published each way

with all Dells of the late 50's early 60's there were a variety of price variants 10 and 15 or Still 10 etc somewhere there is a thread on that situation.

Jim

Certain FC's certainly are more scarce. What is not ofetn discussed is how scarce some "common" issues are in higher grade in particlar. Bugs Bunn is almost impossible to find in VF or better. Mickey Mouse is toughto find in VF. You can find thses in low grade all day long, but you almost never see high grade copies, ever.

Other issues like the Wizard of Oz almost never show up in any grade. In fact most FC's over 1200 are pretty tough to find in high grade, or at all.

I think that FC's were the classic fold the book and put it in your back pocket book. The more universal in likeability, the more it got hammered.

Also there is a whole slew of early books that were "3-D". That is you were supposed to gut slits in the cover and cut pieces out of the back. How many comics did that send to ruin? Also Tillie the Toiler was a cut out magazine. Jack's Diary is a later issue that was full of cut out activities.

A lot of these books were meant to have fun and I think that is just what happened.

There are plenty of back cover variants and to this day i have not paid as myuch attention as maybe I should have.

As far as Price variants, I know there were some. I have a copy of Four Color 4 (Donald Duck) with a 15 cent cover. The only one I have ever seen. You can see it on my collector society page.

Funny. These days I am only slowly adding new FCs to the collection but I grabbed this one within the last month or so. Completed my Fess Parker set in FC. The cover and title never fails to remind me of the Bark race story as well. The Davy Crockett show was on full-on rerun when I was in grade school so the title song is engraved in my memory :)

FC664_zps48a524aa.jpg

2556269408_b568dffac0_b.jpg

I picked up the sheet music for Davy's song and watched the show from the very first chapter. We never missed Walt's TV show back in the fifties and the Wonderful World of Color in the sixties.

Picked up my first Canadian edition Four Color this weekend. Thanks, Bedrock. Not something I want to make a habit, but it was just too pretty and too cheap to pass up.

FourColor297-Canadian-fc75_zps288e418d.jpg

Thanks Dale for this really sweet presenting early Four Color at a great price.

FC156fc70_zpsdd3b63d1.jpg

Four Color #56. I bought this comic almost 25 years ago.

Very nice copy. (thumbs u

Understatement. That's gorgeous.

Just noticed that it's a Gerber 8. Top census copy is an 8.5. Appears as if this copy would grade higher.