• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's face it. The 70's sucked.

208 posts in this topic

To me Kiss is the ultimate 70s band because they originated in the 70s, they perfectly personify the glam, glitz, and excess of the 70s rock scene, they were the antithesis of disco (until they make "I was made for lovin' you tongue.gif )and their popularity was phenomenal, shown by the fact that they broke a lot of the concert attendance records set by the Beatles.

Plus they were my favorite band! grin.gif

Zep and the Who started in the 60s, so I don't really consider them "70s bands".

KIS00064.jpg

To even compare Kiss to the Beatles is insane............Kiss sucked then, sucks now...........

Dude, to say The Who were not a 70's band is to deny The Rolling Stones, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Yes, and the like. They were all hugest in the 70's,.

60's bands stayed in the 60's, like The Beatles and Hermans Hermits.

Dude, to say The Who were not a 70's band is to deny The Rolling Stones, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Yes, and the like. They were all hugest in the 70's,.

Agreed. The Who may have begun in the 60s, but their best work ( such as Who's Next) was in the 70s.

Yeah, but when it comes to the Who and the Stones--as much as I DEARLY love them both--their day was pretty much over by '75: peak for the Who in my book is '68 - '72; and for the Stones, post-Brian Jones, it was all downhill after '73. Sure, there were highlights...but in the case of both bands, their mid/late '70s material doesn't hold a candle to their pre-'73 output.

There's a MUCH stronger case for Zep as THE archetypal '70s arena rock band: they peaked in the early/mid '70s, and rode out the rest of the decade on the very top of the heap, with their original line-up fully in-tact...

The Who may have begun in the 60s, but their best work ( such as Who's Next) was in the 70s.

Tommy - 1969

Live at Leeds - 1970

Who's Next - 1971

Quadrophenia - 1973

...and then 7 years of spotty records as Townshend spiraled into alcoholism and self-doubt, and Keith Moon destroyed himself completely. It's really much more accurate to say that their best work ENDED in the '70s...

Who's Are You was a great album and Who By NUmbers is undoubtedly their most underappreciated piece of work that is by far one of the best that they put out.

Saw them last week. Listen to their new album, it really is a good piece of work.

Who's Are You was a great album and Who By NUmbers is undoubtedly their most underappreciated piece of work that is by far one of the best that they put out.

Saw them last week. Listen to their new album, it really is a good piece of work.

I'm not saying that those aren't good or worthwhile albums in their own right ("Dreaming from the Waist" is one of my all-time favorite Who songs...especially after I hit 40!) -- only that their mid/late '70s records are a far cry from their "best work".

In other words, if I were trying to explain to non-fans why I loved the Who as much as I do, I wouldn't play them a cut off of "Endless Wire," "It's Hard", "Face Dances," "Who Are You", or "The Who by Numbers." Instead, I'd show them live performance footage like "A Quick One" from the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus (1968), or "Young Man Blues" (live at the London Coliseum, ca. 1971) from "The Kids are Alright", or have them listen to album cuts from "Who's Next" or "Odds and Sods" (or "Meaty Beaty..." for the pre-Tommy stuff...).

Then again, I never really forgave Pete for soldiering on after Keith Moon died. But that's taking things a little bit too personally I guess! grin.gif

Truly a wasted decade if there ever was one. Born in the 70's but raised in the 80's I remember making fun of everything 70's. From disco to bell bottoms. The Woodstock wanna-be's to the *spoon* *spoon* TV. Speaking of which, this comic epitimizes the suckage called the 70's. Yeah it was the birth of punk and you can lay claim to Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin. But really. I think Mad Magazine represented the "fight authority" message of youth.

So, dust off your Peter Frampton - Comes Alive albums, blow dry your feathered hair and know that you do feel like we do.

dc1.jpg

I met David Cassidy when I was in college. I drove a cab in New York City and picked him up in front of a condo by Lincoln Center. When he got in I greeted him and he just said his destination and sat back. I knew it was him cause the Partridge Family was my favorite show for a bit when I was a real little kid.

So when we're pulling up to his stop, he says, "Stop right here!" The way he said it coupled with the fact that he was too good to say anything but his destination when he got in at this point ticked me off.

I would have been blocking the entire road in the middle of rush hour, so I said, "Let me pull in up here a few car lengths down so we don't block the road." He got really pissed off and just dropped the money on the front seat after I stopped.

I thought, what a selfish, antisocial .

As I pulled up to the intersection, I saw him running for the stage door to the theater and some reporters running after him. It was the opening night for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

That being said, I'm sure he had a lot on his mind with opening night and the re-launch of his career to escape his identity as Keith Partridge.

In retrospect, the Partridge Family was actually a pretty good show for its time. All the kids I know watched it. If I recall, Shirley Partridge was the first single, working mom on tv. I think that's something of a worthy milestone.

As for the comics, yeah, we may think they're dumb, but little girls loved that stuff. David Cassidy was named the teen idol of the century by someone, I forget who, either Time or People. Too bad they don't make comics for little girls anymore. Archie seems to be the only company that does. Big loss for the girls and for the comic industry.

To me Kiss is the ultimate 70s band because they originated in the 70s, they perfectly personify the glam, glitz, and excess of the 70s rock scene, they were the antithesis of disco (until they make "I was made for lovin' you tongue.gif )and their popularity was phenomenal, shown by the fact that they broke a lot of the concert attendance records set by the Beatles.

Zep and the Who started in the 60s, so I don't really consider them "70s bands".

KIS00064.jpg

To even compare Kiss to the Beatles is insane............Kiss sucked then, sucks now...........

What's up with the insults? confused-smiley-013.gif

Go fist yourself. And take a reading comprehension class.

I don't see where I COMPARED Kiss to the Beatles. I mentioned that they broke some of their attendance records.

Nor did I say that Kiss was better than any other bands like the Who or Zep. I simply said that to me Kiss represents the 70s in myriad ways.

Hey, I liked Kiss. Still do. And I make no apologies for that.

Jeezus people need to lighten up. Everything has to be a fight, doesn't it.

foreheadslap.gif

KIS00064.jpg

What's up with the insults? confused-smiley-013.gif

Go fist yourself. And take a reading comprehension class.

I don't see where I COMPARED Kiss to the Beatles. I mentioned that they broke some of their attendance records.

Nor did I say that Kiss was better than any other bands like the Who or Zep. I simply said that to me Kiss represents the 70s in myriad ways.

Jeezus people need to lighten up. Everything has to be a fight, doesn't it.

foreheadslap.gif

Kiss never really broke in the U.K., so they weren't representative of the 70s for Brits, who had had Glam Rock a bit earlier anyway - Bolan, Roxy Music, Bowie, and the rest. I'd say Marc Bolan (T. Rex) was for Brit '70s nostalgists the act that encapsulated that era.

I've never been a huge fan, but you can't knock Kiss tho'.

Same here...they ruled. No, they weren't in the same league with The Stones, Who, Zep and the rest, but you're right to point out that, for a musical moment or two at least, they were every bit as big--in terms of record sales and concert attendance--as any of those bands.

And I challenge anyone, in any garage or basement band anywhere, to truly master the funky timing and oddball changes in "Detroit Rock City". That's far from "sucking"...

I'd say Marc Bolan (T. Rex) was for Brit '70s nostalgists the act that encapsulated that era.

thumbsup2.gif

Bolan is amazing. He made "disposable" pop music that was anything but disposable--AND it rocked! I'm still amazed at how well a song like "20th Century Boy" holds up over 30 years after it was first released. Some of his records were somewhat tough to find down at the local shopping mall over here in the late '70s (when I first became aware of him), which, of course, just made his stuff that much more legendary to a lot of American Rock fans...

Yes - Kiss was great - and a great representative of the 70's but I think people here are discounting Queen, who were truly the most talented band of the 70's - and probably the only ones that can compare to the Beatles as far as being original and totally willing and able to play any style they wanted to regardless of whether it would sell - and sell (& tour) they did - certainly more than any other band in the late 70's.

Having the most unlikely #1, long, bombastic & soaring heavy rock song ever written (Bohemian Rhapsody) to their credit, as well as the all time sports arena anthem (We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions) doesn't hurt either 893whatthe.gif

thumbsup2.gifcloud9.gif

All Kiss ever did was release the same album over and over and over again. Kinda like AC DC laugh.gif

Apologies to Kiss fans. flowerred.gif