• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let's face it. The 70's sucked.

208 posts in this topic

yeah, if I could I would go back to that time period

and live the rest of my days over and over in it.

I know that I am looking through the eyes of a kid when I say this

but it just so much more innocent back then, eventhough I know it wasn't really.

I sure could use a time without:

- HIV/Aids

- Global Terrorism (on a mass destruction scale)

- Crack Cocaine (and it's gangbanging cronnies)

- Ungrateful smartmouthy kids

- Sue crazy US citizens

- Crack Babies

- Car Jackers

- Bird Flu and other Pandemica sicknesses

- Suicidal bomb carriers

- Nutty Middle Eastern Basketcases

ETC. ETC. ETC. ...

yeah, if I could I would go back to that time period

and live the rest of my days over and over in it.

I know that I am looking through the eyes of a kid when I say this

but it just so much more innocent back then, eventhough I know it wasn't really.

I sure could use a time without:

- HIV/Aids

- Global Terrorism (on a mass destruction scale)

- Crack Cocaine (and it's gangbanging cronnies)

- Ungrateful smartmouthy kids

- Sue crazy US citizens

- Crack Babies

- Car Jackers

- Bird Flu and other Pandemica sicknesses

- Suicidal bomb carriers

- Nutty Middle Eastern Basketcases

ETC. ETC. ETC. ...

sorry.gif but there were more than 10 major airline hijackings in the 70's (about the same amount as the 80's really) Most of those major hijackings were done by "nutty middle eastern basketcases"

The free-wheeling cocaine driven lifestyle is what led us into the HIV problems that we STILL have.

12% inflation PER year anyone? The prime rate finally reached a peak of 21.5% in 1980 after all the horrible economics of the late 70's (still the highest it's ever been)

You think gas prices are high now? Of course we were kids and aren't suppose to remember these things... but how about not being able to buy gas accept on certain days of the week? Stations running completely out of gas. Sure we can compare it to what happened after Katrina hit, but Katrina only caused a glitch in the distribution, not many many months of gas rationing.

Plus, calculated for inflation gas prices are exactly the same price NOW as they were in 1975! A gallon of gas was about 57¢ in 1975, adjusted for inflation that would make it $2.13 now 893scratchchin-thumb.gif about what I paid per gallon yesterday!

Each decade has it's bad and good... but it's the defining moments that are remembered! thumbsup2.gif

You probably had the one produced in the UK by Deny rather than the one produced by Mego in the US

There are only 11 known examples of the Deny Hulk still in existance, Lou Ferrigno owns 2 of them! 893whatthe.gif

There are only 4 Mego ones known to still exist (I've held 2 of them as 2 are owned by the same person) The Mego ones will always sell for at least $12,000 and I think the last one sold for about $20,000

Other Uber-rare ones include Batman, Spider-man, Superman and of all things.... Plastic Man (which there is only ONE known example now)

Man, you're making me more and more depressed, I thought my dad throwing out all my first generation Star Wars stuff was the worst thing that happened to, collecting wise, now I learn that I destroyed a $20.000 makepoint.gif

(still was cool to break it though.... confused-smiley-013.gif)

You think gas prices are high now? Of course we were kids and aren't suppose to remember these things... but how about not being able to buy gas accept on certain days of the week? Stations running completely out of gas. Sure we can compare it to what happened after Katrina hit, but Katrina only caused a glitch in the distribution, not many many months of gas rationing.

During the mid '70s we had months in the year where nobody was allowed to drive a car on Sundays to save gas. I remember seeing news footage of kids playing a soccer match on the freeway as cars weren't allowed on it... 893whatthe.gif

During the mid '70s we had months in the year where nobody was allowed to drive a car on Sundays to save gas. I remember seeing news footage of kids playing a soccer match on the freeway as cars weren't allowed on it... 893whatthe.gif
Those poor kids. frown.gif

John Bonham played soccer.. headbang.gif

You probably had the one produced in the UK by Deny rather than the one produced by Mego in the US

There are only 11 known examples of the Deny Hulk still in existance, Lou Ferrigno owns 2 of them! 893whatthe.gif

There are only 4 Mego ones known to still exist (I've held 2 of them as 2 are owned by the same person) The Mego ones will always sell for at least $12,000 and I think the last one sold for about $20,000

Other Uber-rare ones include Batman, Spider-man, Superman and of all things.... Plastic Man (which there is only ONE known example now)

Man, you're making me more and more depressed, I thought my dad throwing out all my first generation Star Wars stuff was the worst thing that happened to, collecting wise, now I learn that I destroyed a $20.000 makepoint.gif

(still was cool to break it though.... confused-smiley-013.gif)

Damn, I had one of those stretch Hulks too. I think he must be long dead by now as I haven't seen him in over 20 years. tonofbricks.gif

I didn't know that they'd got so collectable. 893whatthe.gif

John Bonham played soccer.. headbang.gif

I never hold that against anybody. flowerred.gif And thumbsup2.gif for recognizing a drummer.

As far as live acts are concerned, it's between Zep and the Who, it has to be said. headbang.gif

So why you only quoting the Who and not the Zep pic ?? 893naughty-thumb.gif

*spoon* mod 893censored-thumb.gif

Couldn't be arsed. 'Sides, I must've mentioned a copious amount of times on this board that Zep are my favorite band ever.

To me Kiss is the ultimate 70s band because they originated in the 70s, they perfectly personify the glam, glitz, and excess of the 70s rock scene, they were the antithesis of disco (until they make "I was made for lovin' you tongue.gif )and their popularity was phenomenal, shown by the fact that they broke a lot of the concert attendance records set by the Beatles.

Plus they were my favorite band! grin.gif

Zep and the Who started in the 60s, so I don't really consider them "70s bands".

KIS00064.jpg

To me Kiss is the ultimate 70s band because they originated in the 70s, they perfectly personify the glam, glitz, and excess of the 70s rock scene, they were the antithesis of disco (until they make "I was made for lovin' you tongue.gif )and their popularity was phenomenal, shown by the fact that they broke a lot of the concert attendance records set by the Beatles.

Plus they were my favorite band! grin.gif

Zep and the Who started in the 60s, so I don't really consider them "70s bands".

KIS00064.jpg

Page may have been around earlier, but Zep began in 1969, which scarcely makes them a bona fide '60s band (although they could've played Woodstock). They were the number one act of the 70s in terms of sales and attendance figures - that's the point. tongue.gif