• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Response
9 9

353 posts in this topic

Great post! I've always considered the boards to be a great equalizer. Maybe some people want to create an untouchable mystique around themselves. After all...it's comic books were talking about. But as with all of society, people have the need to create some form of pecking order. It's not the books people have that earn my respect, it's the way they behave that does. One good example of an all around good guy , who in my estimation doesn't take himself too seriously, is John Berk. Very nice man and very entertaining posts.

Absolutely agree. Jon is first-class and first-rate.

And this actually bolsters my comments 100%. You will rarely find Jon posting in the General section for the very reasons that I and several others have written above. He will post in the GA section without hesitation. That is an uncontrovertible fact and tells the story.

I guess that there are many of us and I include myself, who should be asking "What the heck are we doing over here?" I'm back to the GA section where there's more scans and discussions of my favorite subjects....GA.

Golden Age is for old guys, and old guys get along better. General Comics is for the young punks who are more hot-headed. Seems natural to me confused-smiley-013.gif

The only members in this thread who are 'out-of-line' are those who seek to dictate the responses of others. This is an internet message board. Get over it.

I'm not making any excuses for bad behavior and incivility.

That said, as of late, there has been an elitism -- some of it subtle, some not -- creeping into some threads. Comments along the lines of "the most important people -- that is, people who own big books -- stay away from here because of x, y or z."

In other words, we, the uncivilized rabble, are reminded that we are not worthy of their time, effort or participation.

This rubs me the wrong way.

And it's especially ironic in that these paragons of virtue who deign not to lower themselves to this level are some of the same people who are at the epicenter of many of the hobby's most sordid and unsavory affairs.

And as for the Action 1... sure, I'd like to see it, I don't see why someone would want to selfishly retain something that means so much to this community. Would it physically hurt to post a scan? I suppose we, the riff-raff, just aren't worthy to view such an exclusive, glorious image. Whatever.

Short of an explanation from Anderson, it's all speculation.

However, not sharing an image of the book says something.

Depending on your worldview, **what** it says may vary.

And as for the Action 1... sure, I'd like to see it, I don't see why someone would want to selfishly retain something that means so much to this community. Would it physically hurt to post a scan? I suppose we, the riff-raff, just aren't worthy to view such an exclusive, glorious image. Whatever.

Short of an explanation from Anderson, it's all speculation.

However, not sharing an image of the book says something.

Depending on your worldview, **what** it says may vary.

Geez, guys, its potentially a $3 million dollar book. One would think (hope even) it is very likely in a bank safety deposit vault. No way I would be rushing to go retrieve it, scan it, and risk possibly damaging it through the process for the mere sake that others want to see it.

It is a copy of Action #1. I bet anything it looks like other Action #1s, but just better condition. I'd love to see it myself, don't get me wrong, and I always post images of very expensive books that I own, but NOTHING I have comes even close to $3 million, much less even $200,000. World of difference.

Now if he already has a picture/scan of it from earlier days, that's a different story. I don't know.

I personally think that the lack of images of the book adds to the mystique. We've already had several people (who are more or less trustworthy) come on here to vouch for it being unrestored. Kinda cool if you ask me.

I could imagine the first thing someone would say on these boards if they saw it. Dr. Blake or someone would come on here and say something like:

"I don't know, the book looks pressed to me. It has that squished look" 27_laughing.gif

R.