• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Response
9 9

353 posts in this topic

Great post! I've always considered the boards to be a great equalizer. Maybe some people want to create an untouchable mystique around themselves. After all...it's comic books were talking about. But as with all of society, people have the need to create some form of pecking order. It's not the books people have that earn my respect, it's the way they behave that does. One good example of an all around good guy , who in my estimation doesn't take himself too seriously, is John Berk. Very nice man and very entertaining posts.

hello all...

I have found that there are a ton of great contributors to these boards...all of the above references and many more (not necessary to name names, as we know who they are )....

I find great interaction, and have found I have made many new friends I would otherwise not have, via this board...so, I will happily take the good, the bad, the fun, the rude, the senseless, the tacky and the outrageous, but at least we have that option..

rick

You can call all you want. I'm not putting the man on a pedestal. Everyone on here is dying to have guys like this on the boards but many of these people don't have the couth to properly welcome somone. The guy writes a large 1st post in response to what has now become a public debate, and you see posts like this on the first pages to welcome the guy:

ughhh try some paragraph breaks

With respects to everyone, I have to agree. Over on the WTB forum, one guy is looking for high grade Superman's from 1-300. Check out some of the negative responses there?

What is so hard about being civil to people? Oh wait, this is the internet. Silly me.

That's what I'm talking about. You don't unleash your inside jokes, innuendo, dirty jokes on someone new. Imagine acting like that at a department store or library or whatever with someone you have met for the first time. Now, greggy on the other hand, he deserves a good kick in the floppy saggies once in a while.

But that's just my opinion. thumbsup2.gif

To be perfectly honest with you Roy, Dave is no different then anyone else here. His pants go on same as ours do. Whatever books he might own is just a bonus. That he chooses to not share them is his decision, but I am sure not going to waste 1 second fretting about why he may or may not post his grails with the rest of the class. There are plenty other quality collectors in line to fill that gap here.

He was the one who came here and made a very lengthy post declaring his side of an obviously personal, and sticky situation, then immediately left. Leaving more then a little room for people to either fill in the blanks, or read between the lines, or make off topic comments. And if somebody actually had a question that may or may not have been pertinent to the topic at hand.. well we will never know because Dave came on here and left in royal FDQ fashion. Being chased away by things yet to happen. I can understand if he did not want to wade through the comments that were less then civil, or on topic, but why come in the first place if he doesn't care what we have to say, why should we care about him?

I considered his post a kind of slap in the face to a place that I think has merit. Brad was not far off in his observation if you ask me.

Although I agree that everyone should think twice before making a post. As Cowboy Bob said " If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all"

I try to, but sometimes fail to follow those words just like everybody else here.

flowerred.gif

Ze-

Kenny, I'm only going to comment one last time on this subject. I don't worship the guy. In fact I have never been a DC guy and am not that excited about seeing the action #1 though i fully fathom what it represents. I do however know that first impressions make lasting impressions. Remember how we ran Don Rosa out of Dodge a few months ago?

What i was trying to show (and i guess didn't) is how forumites look to invite people like Rosa and Anderson, who have experienced things that many of us dream about (Owning Super-grails in hi(ghest) grade, creating the books we read as kids, etc) and then they show up and theare not really respected.

Blue on the other hand (Krazy Kat) had a reasonably intelligent discussion about black heros and every one knew he was a shill.

Maybe i just got up on the wrong side of the bed. Maybe i need to get some (more..you know...) 27_laughing.gif

Maybe this discussion can get back on track. It was just my opinion based on my perception. And everyone's perception is different. I am all for leaving the bad. Discuss..

Have fun gang.

Gotta work.

R.

This is the scan of the book that Steve Carey had sent me. The sub crease is visible in the original scan in contrast to the other scan that has also been posted where the sub crease is somehow invisible.

100_0942.jpg

Ooops, I was wrong - instead of jocularity, Stephen tries to direct attention away from his own misdeeds.

So I provided a scan to you that you feel more accurately describes the book than does the other scan from the original seller? And in your mind that qualifies for a brick allegation that I failed to disclose?

I'm sure we all can see what a worthless and nothing special raw book - of perhaps is the rarest DC key - that this copy is.

Thanks so much for setting us all straight on these issues, Stephen. You can go back to bed now.

Before you go, let's clarify - your position is that the grade was stretched, the price was pushed, and disclosure did not occur, correct?

In other words, a taste of your own medicine...and let me guess, the flavor is sour grapes?

STEVE

I actually thought this thread was civil, respectful and sometimes humorous.
Yes it was very good. thumbsup2.gif
These are HUGE leaps and bounds over the usual mob mentality, conspiracy theories and *spoon* slinging most post of this serious nature finds themselves apart of.
Agreed.

So do you expect a college speech type discussion where the guest speaker stands in front of a large auditorium and field’s questions from the audience? Are we supposed to be humble and bow down to anyone in this industry with more valuable goodies then we currently possess? If someone says they've been comic fans for the last 50 years, does that ultimately mean they are the most knowledgeable person on this board?
Apparently some feel that way. I think it's misguided frustration on their part. Here a guy shows up and breaks his silence after being whispered about for years. We all know that it was probably just a one post-shot-in-the-dark and he ain't coming back.

Nor is he going to scan images of his books. This in itself is frustrating certain people and they are lashing out against collectors of $5 -$300 books like they are the problem. If we could just get rid of the people that don't have high grade Action comics then the world would spin better as it aligns itself within the galaxy of bliss.

I'm honestly confused to the nature of r1970d post.
tongue.gif Yep
If these "big" named people are scared of these boards then they won’t post despite how many tea parties we throw in their honor. If these "big" name people are as knowledgeable as everyone thinks they are then let them come and earn our respect like Dave and Steve just did (well at least for me they did. Although there was a disagreement, both parties managed to stay civil despite some hostile feelings between the two).
This is well said.

What frustrates me the most are these posters who tell us how we should act? If we post a funny response then that’s the reason no one of importance comes to these boards. If we get pissed and start a mob mentality than that's the reason no one of importance comes to these boards. And if we choose to ignore the thread then we aren't giving it the respect it deserves and that the reason no one of importance comes to these boards.
It's very easy and Convenient to blame the average poster on these boards for the reason Stan Lee isn't here (and others).

1543163-ellispse24.jpg

Pure lazyness on the part of the finger pointer. And getting very old. Hasn't necessarily happened in this thread but seems to be a growing trend.

What I find the most amusing is that we just created more drama in this thread then either of the original posters did because some people feel the need to tell us how childish we all are and therefore no one of importance while ever comes to these boards.
hail.gif

Question:

Are you sure this is a subscription copy? (Not sure subscriptions were available to DC comics in 1940)

If the answer is yes, then a follow-up question:

Is it a subscription crease or a subscription fold?

According to Overstreet there is a distinction -- one breaks color the other does not. In my opinion, the technical grade can go up or down dependent upon the classification (crease or fold).

This is the scan of the book that Steve Carey had sent me. The sub crease is visible in the original scan in contrast to the other scan that has also been posted where the sub crease is somehow invisible.

100_0942.jpg

Before you go, let's clarify - your position is that the grade was stretched, the price was pushed, and disclosure did not occur, correct?

In other words, a taste of your own medicine

STEVE

This was the scans that was finally sent after your false claims about the book were made.

And I appreciate that the fact that you have admitted your mis-deeds. And for offically removing yourself from the pedestal that you had placed yourself on.

Any idea who photoshopped the new and improved scan?

Stephen

Methinks Dave and Steve need to get together with a pair of boxing gloves and duke it out.....that's how I resolved any issues I had with my sister, man she's fiesty.

p.s. since we got all the major dealers on here, anyone feeling the Christmas spirit and want to send me some trooper books? (hint: trying to hint to you guys it's the holidays and the bickering should cease...at least for awhile)

Stephen, I sense that you are getting a bit testy.

And you're not making any sense, either. And you're not addressing your "dealer" brick. And you're not hurting me either by trying to denigrate my book.

It's been fun, but I'm off to spend time with my lovely wife, my terrific sons, and the rest of my wonderful family. Try it sometimes - there's more to life than always striving to be Top Dog or calculating how much value you can squeeze out of a book.

STEVE

Maybe we could have a new website for people whose collections are worth seven figures or more only? Of course it'd be the utmost in civility and they shouldn't have to wait around too long for someone important to drop by.

All Steve and Dave have done is shown that they are tempermental dealers in this industry.

One correction TiQuinn, if I may.

I am a private collector.

That is, until Stephen Fishler can back up his posted allegation that I am a "dealer".

Fishler has been asked to list the books I've sold in 2006. Curiously, he has not.

Any pattern of trading, flipping or speculating also makes you a "dealer".