• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nic Cage Collection

132 posts in this topic

But, I read an interview with him where he stated that he sold both because, from a philosophical level, he was trying to derive satisfaction from within rather than without. That is, trying to let go of the idea that physical objects will make him happy.

Not a year goes by when I don't contemplate this very same thing - to get this almost 40 year old monkey off my back..., sorry.gif

Sterlingcomics thanks for the link, it gives me a lot of information. Is there anywhere I can find out what books were in the Nic Cage collection. Thanks in advance!

Do a search on Nic Cage on the Heritage website. It was it's own sale and you can also go that route in looking at the archives.

You need to join the site (free) if you want to see the large pics and prices.

And now, time for the ignore.

Keep on rockin' Sterling! I value your input and cool headedness. As for new guy-welcome aboard-I know I once saw a picture of two friendly dogs with the acronym STFU NOOB! I wonder what that meant........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yay.gifChris

Keep on rockin' Sterling! I value your input and cool headedness. As for new guy-welcome aboard-I know I once saw a picture of two friendly dogs with the acronym STFU NOOB! I wonder what that meant........ 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

yay.gifChris

It's fairly obvious who that shill is - the posting style is all too familiar.

yay.gifChris

It's fairly obvious who that shill is - the posting style is all too familiar.

Plus the pattern of appearing on a weekend or holiday period, to give him more time before the Mods boot him off. CGC clearly needs to tighten up its process for all new people joining, and this should be one of its top agenda items above split colored signature slabs. This is just getting tiresome.

nearmint,

Thanks for the info...I've read a bit of information in regards to Cage's collection so my wires got crossed. I did have a disclaimer on it however so I wasn't taking my comments as gospel. However, like my wife tells me, it's not what you say, it's how you say it. The exchange felt all too familiar...de ja vu.

I also re-checked out the thread where you stated you live near Cage now...that's still cool. Can't hurt your property values either.

he sold both because, from a philosophical level, he was trying to derive satisfaction from within rather than without.

This is the odds-on favorite. He surely has the money to buy other copies if he changes his mind about possessions and the true source of happiness.

I've never heard any evidence that Cage sold his books because he discovered some had undisclosed resto. Steve F. has stated on the boards that that was not the case, and I believe him. He sold restored books to Nick Cage WITH DISCLOSURE. Out of 300-400 books, 2 came back with resto that had not been disclosed(More Fun #52 & #53), and that was because Metro had not detected the resto.

Some people believe that Lisa Marie made him sell both his comics and his classic car collection. But, I read an interview with him where he stated that he sold both because, from a philosophical level, he was trying to derive satisfaction from within rather than without. That is, trying to let go of the idea that physical objects will make him happy. Could be a load of doo-doo, although he does come across as somewhat philosophical.

There's a Heritage catalog that contains the books he sold. I suspect it probably appears on eBay from time to time.

I can see Cage's house(at least one of them) from my kitchen window, but haven't bumped into him at the grocery store yet. If I do, I'll ask. shy.gif

Apparently this divestiture of physical objects isn't so rooted in the very core of his being as to inlcude deivsting himself of his multiple homes.....

Typical Hollyweird Crapola from Coppola.

I've never heard any evidence that Cage sold his books because he discovered some had undisclosed resto. Steve F. has stated on the boards that that was not the case, and I believe him. He sold restored books to Nick Cage WITH DISCLOSURE. Out of 300-400 books, 2 came back with resto that had not been disclosed(More Fun #52 & #53), and that was because Metro had not detected the resto.

Some people believe that Lisa Marie made him sell both his comics and his classic car collection. But, I read an interview with him where he stated that he sold both because, from a philosophical level, he was trying to derive satisfaction from within rather than without. That is, trying to let go of the idea that physical objects will make him happy. Could be a load of doo-doo, although he does come across as somewhat philosophical.

There's a Heritage catalog that contains the books he sold. I suspect it probably appears on eBay from time to time.

I can see Cage's house(at least one of them) from my kitchen window, but haven't bumped into him at the grocery store yet. If I do, I'll ask. shy.gif

Apparently this divestiture of physical objects isn't so rooted in the very core of his being as to inlcude deivsting himself of his multiple homes.....

Typical Hollyweird Crapola from Coppola.

Actually, he lives in a hut on the beach. We've taken to calling him The Big Kahuna. The tourists are fed up with him asking for spare change.

I heard the philosophical thing too, and I have spare catalogs of the cage collection just pm me I send to that original poster for free smile.gif I only bought 36 of the cage books, but I personally handled all 1,000 of them, about 500 of which were sold, I don't recall what happened to the Science Fiction superman "issue" or the marvel mystery pulp magazine - maybe they were in the HCA sale I gonna go look at the caddy, I assume the other 1/2 of the cage books unencapsulated were absorbed by Cage/HCA/Metro for private reasons, which I actually do know, but am contractually bound not to disclose. About Metro possibly missing a couple of restored books, it would explain why they gave him (Cage) alot of free merchandise on occassion. "You can shear a sheep a thousand times, but you can only skin him once". And Hi-Dee-Ho comics was a place Cage bought from too, in California. I think I sold him an All Flash Quarterly # 1.

Hi-De-Ho Comics on Santa Monica Blvd. in Santa Monica is where I bought most of my collection when I was young, used to pass by it every day after high school in Fresh. Soph. years. They have a huge selection, not so tight on graded quality (sell a lot of books at NM OS prices that aren't close to NM. Lot of nice books just in Mylars hanging high up on the wall, but tanning with age in the air. Don't ever bother trying to sell books there though, they are probably the worst at paying for books...

While most of his books seemed to be HG,his Avengers set was mostly just readers.At least thats what the certificate on my copies says.

I've always heard the Lisa Marie version,although never from anyone who was in the know.I do recall some rumors about some of his books being stolen,perhaps during a party.

I heard the philosophical thing too, and I have spare catalogs of the cage collection just pm me I send to that original poster for free smile.gif I only bought 36 of the cage books, but I personally handled all 1,000 of them, about 500 of which were sold, I don't recall what happened to the Science Fiction superman "issue" or the marvel mystery pulp magazine - maybe they were in the HCA sale I gonna go look at the caddy, I assume the other 1/2 of the cage books unencapsulated were absorbed by Cage/HCA/Metro for private reasons, which I actually do know, but am contractually bound not to disclose. About Metro possibly missing a couple of restored books, it would explain why they gave him (Cage) alot of free merchandise on occassion. "You can shear a sheep a thousand times, but you can only skin him once". And Hi-Dee-Ho comics was a place Cage bought from too, in California. I think I sold him an All Flash Quarterly # 1.

The books from Nicolas Cage's collection, other than about 50 misc horror comics, that were not sold in the Heritage auction were books from the last 30 years and worth less than $20 each. Every book of any value were sold in the auction. Books not included in the sale were not graded because there is no purpose to spend $20 to encapulate a $5 book.

S

Books not included in the sale were not graded because there is no purpose to spend $20 to encapulate a $5 book.

S

Acck! Sacrilege, right here on CGC's own site! I find it odd that most books that are encapsulated by CGC are worth about that much - before and after. Ebay is a wasteland filled with such books. Although, the surest way to get $100 for your $5 book is to get encpasulated in a CGC container with a 9.6 or 9.8 label. But those cases are few and far between..., and to me, the book is still only worth the $5.

But....,, as P.T. Barnum used to say....,

The books from Nicolas Cage's collection, other than about 50 misc horror comics, that were not sold in the Heritage auction were books from the last 30 years and worth less than $20 each. Every book of any value were sold in the auction.

S

thank you stephen smile.gif happy holidays!

everybody else - who else here owns or knows anyone who owns any of the Nicky Cage collection comics?

oh and i got reminded that I used my copy of Science Fiction "reign of superman" in my Overstreet # 33 advertisement, but i signed it 'Xela Schomburg" because i didn't know who owned the CR. gossip.gif

My impression is that Cage wasnt a lifelong Vintage Comicbook collector.

He amassed the entire collection in a very short period of time.Is that correct???

yes he had some good headhunters looking out for him and sending him copies to approve before purchase, but like all millionaires, he overpaid for his convenience.

My impression is that Cage wasnt a lifelong Vintage Comicbook collector.

He amassed the entire collection in a very short period of time.Is that correct???

yes he had some good headhunters looking out for him and sending him copies to approve before purchase, but like all millionaires, he overpaid for his convenience.

Certainly you are not referring to the unrestored VF Action #1 that I sold him for $150,000 or the Allentown Detective #38 I sold him for $60,000 or the VF Amazing Fantasy he bought for $10,000?

S