• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Marvel anyone?

141 posts in this topic

Cioric's Tec inspired me to make my latest purchase which has now decimated my back issue budget for the year--but I couldn't be happier! I stewed on it hard for about a week, and then justified it by the "get the keys first" logic, and here I am.

It's a slight resto from Metro. They bought it from a collector there in the city in 04. If anyone else has any history I'd appreciate it; the story is part of the book!

cma1f.jpg

cma1r.jpg

Wow!! That book is gorgeous! I'm glad you made the leap for the key! hail.gif893whatthe.gif

Wow!! That book is gorgeous! I'm glad you made the leap for the key! hail.gif893whatthe.gif

Thanks, so am I! If I would have known how happy it would have made me I would have done it a while ago. yay.gif

Great looking book! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah, that is a sweet book Ivanko. Everyone wishes they had a key copy that nice!!!

Beancurd, the 7.5 Whiz 38 looks mighty exceptional. Did you get notes as to the reason it was graded that low?

Ivanko,

Wow. Just... Wow!! I'll be honest, Captain Marvel Adventures #1 has never been all that high on my want list, but after seeing this, I think its just because I never saw a copy nice enough that I really had to own it. I owned the Crowley copy at one point but even that one was only around a G+ if I remember correctly. To have a copy that looks that nice with only slight resto, it's got to be one of the nicest copies in existence I would think. I wish I'd seen it when it was up for sale! What an incredible book!

Anyway, here's my contribution to the thread. If I had a real nice CMA #1 I'd probably be tempted to keep them all. But since one way or another I don't think I'm going to own these two books much longer I figure I should post these in here now while I still have a chance smile.gif

Groupshot4.jpg

You and me both. The fact is that Whiz is an affordable book in relation to other keys. Still, quite a chunk for that one. If it weren't for the fact that Special Edition is a higher grade than the rest of the books in my collection, I would seriously be thinking about dropping an offer on table filter. But cheapo that I am, I just couldn't afford it(unless I did what Ivanko did and blew my whole budget for the year 27_laughing.gif)

I didn't get the notes on the #38. The things that I noticed on the front is some non-color breaking stress and 2 scuff marks on the spine. The back cover looks fine.

WhizComics38CGC7-1.jpg

Beancurd, the 7.5 Whiz 38 looks mighty exceptional. Did you get notes as to the reason it was graded that low?

Ivanko,

Wow. Just... Wow!! I'll be honest, Captain Marvel Adventures #1 has never been all that high on my want list, but after seeing this, I think its just because I never saw a copy nice enough that I really had to own it. I owned the Crowley copy at one point but even that one was only around a G+ if I remember correctly. To have a copy that looks that nice with only slight resto, it's got to be one of the nicest copies in existence I would think. I wish I'd seen it when it was up for sale! What an incredible book!

Anyway, here's my contribution to the thread. If I had a real nice CMA #1 I'd probably be tempted to keep them all. But since one way or another I don't think I'm going to own these two books much longer I figure I should post these in here now while I still have a chance smile.gif

Groupshot4.jpg

Thanks!

Those books are amazing, and it would be incredible to have those two sharing space with mine! Unfortunately, Timulty is right; I am sticking to my self imposed budget and not buying anymore the rest of the year frown.gif If by "not much longer" you mean January 2008, I'd be happy to make you an offer! grin.gifgrin.gif

I think what a lot of key collectors miss on Fawcetts(GA Captain Marvels, in general), is the visual impact that a truly good copy imparts. Sure there are lots of copies of Whiz #1 but the fact is, there are very few copies that are decent and fewer still, that are unrestored. Same with Captain Marvel Adventures #1. Special Edition #1 have a nice batch of VF and above books but the real draw is the cover.

And then, the issue of page quality, say what you want but a lot Fawcetts tend to the low end of page quality. Though I do own a few white page beauties, they are the exception not the rule.

I will say, that in the last year I have seen more white page books out there than I had seen in the past. Lots of new collections hitting the scene so perhaps the best is yet to come.

hello all...

I have completed CMA 1-12 and have an 18 (working on 13-17 now), and they are some great books!, undervalued and under appreciated...I mean the big red cheese outsold Superman in the 40's and 50's right? and during most of the mid 70's, I ran around my house yelling "shazam!" every opportunity I got, just hoping that I might actually be struck by lightning!...admittedly, he is not so in the limelight/popular scene now, which makes it a great time to get those holes filled (there is a movie coming out in 2 years!)...somewhere, I have a picture of me at 7 years old, wearing red pajamas, with a yellow paper lightning bolt cut out taped to my chest, and that cool white cape -ok, bath towel- wrapped around my neck... ...my "fav" is Whiz....I have all but 2 of the Whiz run from 1-25 (missing 9 and 17, so someone help me out!)....and, I have been trying to swing something with filter81 for his whiz 1 for about 6months now, so maybe we can get something done on that end!...

figure Captain Marvel Jr or Mary Marvel next !

rick

admittedly, he is not so in the limelight/popular scene now, which makes it a great time to get those holes filled (there is a movie coming out in 2 years

Nope. Values will sink lower than the Titanic. Sell all your copies after January 1st.

Hate to soil this thread with my lone contribution but you guys have some awesome books. Any idea which issue this is from?

CMCAD.jpg

Starting in 1942, Anglo American Publishing printed Captain Marvel Comics until 1945. Each year had it's own volume #, so volume 1 was in 1942, volume 2 in 1943, etc. Sorry, but I'm not sure which one that is; hopefully someone else can help?