• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Marvel anyone?

141 posts in this topic

Been a while since I contributed to my little thread, so here goes. Whiz101.jpgWhiz102.jpg

lol what an awesome cover on that Whiz 102. I HAVE to get a copy of that book now. Great book!! I've never seen that one before, but I think it just jumped to #1 on my want list.

hello all..

once I finish some "priority " runs, I am going to complete Whiz 26-153 (have to find a 9 and 17 though!)....real "cheap" right now, and seemingly readily available, but what a great FUN run of books

rick

hello all..

once I finish some "priority " runs, I am going to complete Whiz 26-153 (have to find a 9 and 17 though!)....real "cheap" right now, and seemingly readily available, but what a great FUN run of books

rick

I won't believe you until a group shot is posted sumo.gif

hello all..

rick

and I ain't grouping till I have a 9 and 17, so you guys and gals our there HELP me find them!

rick

ps-I am one of those weird brews that likes to buy unslabbed, or slabbed then crack and read, then, I have them slabbed or reslabbed for protection (my son is not as careful as I am )/liquidity, resto check (and I am fine with resto, as long as bought that way), etc...so, about 15 of my Whiz 2-25 are at CGC now, and my CMA 3-12 are there too...will be 2 months (did them economy) till I get them back...

hello all..

rick

and I ain't grouping till I have a 9 and 17, so you guys and gals our there HELP me find them!

rick

ps-I am one of those weird brews that likes to buy unslabbed, or slabbed then crack and read, then, I have them slabbed or reslabbed for protection (my son is not as careful as I am )/liquidity, resto check (and I am fine with resto, as long as bought that way), etc...so, about 15 of my Whiz 2-25 are at CGC now, and my CMA 3-12 are there too...will be 2 months (did them economy) till I get them back...

Here ya go:

#9 and #17

Chop chop! grin.gif

Someone was talking about Captain Marvel 18 and what a great painted cover it is. Sure, Mary Marvel is kinda cute, and the purple cover is eye catching, but here's THE Captain Marvel painted cover........

captainmarvel17.jpg

On a side note, I bought my first comic book of the stands in 1971(I was eight). About six months later the older brother of one of my friends showed me a flyer for a comic book club called the HCCA (Houston Comic Collectors Association). They would meet once a month at a place called the World Trade Center in downtown Houston. (The WTC was a one story meeting room in the business district and was never targeted by terrorists!) So off me and my buddy went. There were a bunch of guys who set up folding table with boxes of comics and traded stuff around, sold a little, and generally sat around yakking about funnybooks. My first taste of old comics! And the first golden age book I saw was a Captain Marvel 17. Since we were just learning about WWII in school the Zeroes on the cover were mesmerizing. But instead of buying it ($10 was a lot of dough) I sprung for an Iron Man #1 for fifty cents.

That's a great story, wish I was alive then. I would have bought it. The Whiz Comics run is one of the most fanciful and interesting runs there is. I guess the impact of the series hit me, when I picked up my first set of Gerbers. You look at those covers and you are hard pressed to find a one that isn't just wonderful. 6 and 19 have always been favorites of mine but finding good copies is a challenge. Captain Marvel 17 is perhaps one of the best painted GA covers, in my opinion. Cap seems to come alive and smack those planes with the fury of Shazam!

It's good to see some appreciation for an oft underappreciated character.

hello all..

rick

rick

Here ya go:

#9 and #17

Chop chop! grin.gif

UGH....I got excited for the 5 seconds it took to load, then realized it is WHIZ 9 and 17 I need....

I do need a CMA 17 (have 9)....

thanks

rick

Someone was talking about Captain Marvel 18 and what a great painted cover it is. Sure, Mary Marvel is kinda cute, and the purple cover is eye catching, but here's THE Captain Marvel painted cover........

captainmarvel17.jpg

takeit.gif

and, how again, does the CMA 17 on clink get a blue with color touch?...I would buy the book, but at "Restored" price, not unrestored

rick

captainmarvel17.jpg

takeit.gif

and, how again, does the CMA 17 on clink get a blue with color touch?...I would buy the book, but at "Restored" price, not unrestored

rick

Maybe it doesn't count if sharpie is used confused-smiley-013.gif

I dunno, but that's a great question

"That's a great story, wish I was alive then."

sign-funnypost.gif

Not sure if that is an age remark, so if it is its funny! grin.gif

Yeah, I think he was trying to say I'm older than dirt!

sign-funnypost.gif

Well, then I hope when I become older than dirt my books look as good as yours Mr. B! How about those Timely's from Bangz, Wow! I am thinking he has stacks of high grade laying around everywhere!

sign-funnypost.gif

I interpreted as a "if I knew then what I know now" comment. Similar to "If I would have known real estate would be worth so much now, I would have bought more homes".

To collect Golden Age is to have the utmost respect and appreciation for age, because with age comes history, and without history, we aren't at where we are today.

Another new BTH copy in my collection - October 1942 issue of Whiz with a poster quality cover of CM and Spy Smasher. Now, if only some one didn't do his math homework on the cover ... -

1716785-Whiz35.jpg

P.S.: Gotta love the fact that we can see the stitches on CM's thunderbolt on the costume.

1716785-Whiz35.jpg.55c7fb0bf17273547ec0511b7a89ef41.jpg

Well, then I hope when I become older than dirt my books look as good as yours Mr. B! How about those Timely's from Bangz, Wow! I am thinking he has stacks of high grade laying around everywhere!

Yeah, isn't it weird to be able to ask to look at something and, BANGZOOM, it appears. And in beautiful shape.

Another new BTH copy in my collection - October 1942 issue of Whiz with a poster quality cover of CM and Spy Smasher. Now, if only some one didn't do his math homework on the cover ... -

Doesn't look like he finished it. Send it out to me and I'll finish it out for you -- I've got excel. wink.gif