• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I REALLY WANT THE SUSPENSE #3, BUT MY WIFE WILL KILL ME!

198 posts in this topic

funny enough when I'm done with the banking game I intend to become a comic dealer

funny enough when I'm done with the mortgage banking game I intend to become a comic dealer

I was a comic dealer, so should I now become a mortgage banker? Or stick with engineering?

Sounds like Koko's bonuses are better than mine! I could only buy a handful of pre-boy Tecs with mine! A 27 wasn't even in the equation.

The fact that this thread is not considered crazy by everyone posting and myself is absolutely incredible. I have to save it.

Does this thread make anyone suspicious? I mean who broadcasts at the top of their lungs what they're willing to pay for a book during an ongoing auction? confused.gif

The fact that this thread is not considered crazy by everyone posting and myself is absolutely incredible. I have to save it.

Does this thread make anyone suspicious? I mean who broadcasts at the top of their lungs what they're willing to pay for a book during an ongoing auction? confused.gif

poke2.gif

Suspicious, are you kidding me? Do you really think that what ever is said on the boards will determine the final outcome of the auction? I mean the book is going to go for whatever it will go for. Its a key that probably most posting on this board would love to have and were and are aware of instantly. Posting what I am willing to pay, to a board of like minded collectors for fun would only make the experience more fun to me. I don't quite get the "suspicious behavior", but hey what ever floats your boat. I suppose that someone might take that information and try to bid me up, but that is a pretty big gamble if one isn't already serious enough to fork out the dough. It may be a little crazy, but also some fun interaction. Its seams there is always someone who think J. Edgar Hoover is hiding in the closet! Ha, that one wasn't even planned. stooges.gif

I mean the book is going to go for whatever it will go for

Why would you give away what your willing to spend when you know or should know that there are other people who are after this same book. Them knowing what you are willing to spend gives them a heads up as to what their final bid or snipe would need to be to at least top you. Im sure if I said in the copper age X-Men thread that I will bid 150 dollars for the 201 9.8 then someone wouldve bid 151 and actually beat me out since I am one of their biggest threats

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I agree with tth2, something makes me go 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think it's a different animal here in the GA forum, where people are actually a lot more supportive of each other's collecting habbits. I personally don't see this act as being suspicious since I'd probably do the same thing, and pat the eventual winner on the back for willing to pay more for the book.

Suspicious, are you kidding me? Do you really think that what ever is said on the boards will determine the final outcome of the auction? I mean the book is going to go for whatever it will go for. Its a key that probably most posting on this board would love to have and were and are aware of instantly. Posting what I am willing to pay, to a board of like minded collectors for fun would only make the experience more fun to me. I don't quite get the "suspicious behavior", but hey what ever floats your boat. I suppose that someone might take that information and try to bid me up, but that is a pretty big gamble if one isn't already serious enough to fork out the dough. It may be a little crazy, but also some fun interaction. Its seams there is always someone who think J. Edgar Hoover is hiding in the closet! Ha, that one wasn't even planned. stooges.gif

Hey, I hope you're on the up and up, but you'd be surprised how many people do follow what's said on these boards and use that information to a board member's detriment. Ask a board member named Benz who broadcast at the top of his lungs about his interest in a Batman #1 that had been sitting for a while on Metropolis, and then by the time he pulled the trigger the book had been bought.

I'm just saying that I can't see any upside for you, and only downsides, from broadcasting what you want to pay for a book if you're genuinely after the book. Besides, if you're for real on going up to $4000 for the book, what risk would there be for someone in bidding the book up to $3999? Where's the gamble, if you're for real?

I think these Boards ( at least in the GA section ) form a certain level of trust and respect towards each other, as many of us communicate here daily, and share our thoughts freely.

This is not a cut throat environment where loose lips sink ships.....I find it perfectly normal that Mr.Schomburg shared with us his max potential bid price for this book before the auction ends, and do not believe our discussions here will effect the outcome of a high profile auction like Suspense 3 on Ebay, which will probably be viewed over 2,000+ times during its auction cycle, and end up with who knows how many bidders.

We all support and encourage each other here in the GA forum....perhaps other areas of the Boards are not as professional and decent 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think it's a different animal here in the GA forum, where people are actually a lot more supportive of each other's collecting habbits. I personally don't see this act as being suspicious since I'd probably do the same thing, and pat the eventual winner on the back for willing to pay more for the book.

Interesting but I know of at least one person on these boards that would outbid me if I did say how much I was willing to pay for a given book which is why I said what I said

Interesting but I know of at least one person on these boards that would outbid me if I did say how much I was willing to pay for a given book which is why I said what I said

I don't doubt, but it all depends on what Mr. Shomburg's reaction would be if he did get outbid on the book. Based on his previous posts, I think he'd just move on and spend his money on something else. No harm no foul.

While its true that GA forum posters respect each other more than those of us who post in the other forums, the info you put out here is still available to the world, not just your fellow forumites. Lurkers can access all this info and use it to their advantage- so it seems a bit risky to tell everyone what your max bid is. JMO confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey, I hope you're on the up and up, but you'd be surprised how many people do follow what's said on these boards and use that information to a board member's detriment. Ask a board member named Benz who broadcast at the top of his lungs about his interest in a Batman #1 that had been sitting for a while on Metropolis, and then by the time he pulled the trigger the book had been bought.

I'm just saying that I can't see any upside for you, and only downsides, from broadcasting what you want to pay for a book if you're genuinely after the book. Besides, if you're for real on going up to $4000 for the book, what risk would there be for someone in bidding the book up to $3999? Where's the gamble, if you're for real?

Unless he's just trying to scare off the competition? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Or maybe trying to take revenge on a fellow collector by making that collector pay more to get the book? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Or... insane.gif

I don't necessarily think people on these forums would bid the book up on Mr. Schomburg to be vindictive, but some may own copies of the book already and would feel compelled to "defend" the price. It happens all the time, and I don't think there's anything wrong with it as long as they're not shilling for the seller. Hearing what any bidder would be willing to pay would be a license to "defend" the price right up to his limit, so long as that bidder was for real. If he ended up not bidding that amount, then he was just blowing a lot of smoke up our butts, wasn't he, in which case you have to wonder about his motivation for making his posts?

Like I said, I see no upside and lots of downside (being bid up, or being proved to be a phony) in acting this way.

Well I am for real as we saw last night I bid it up during the discussion to 3150 I think it was and was High bidder. At least for a while. I would say that shows for real even though reserve didn't meet, I didn't know it wouldn't.

Anyway, I see your point to a certain degree, but I still would not have changed my exchange on the boards, at least with GA, the example for a 150 dollar book is way diff. in my eye.